If I am Missing or Dead

Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If I am Missing or Dead

Has anyone read this book? I bought it to read on vacation and just finished it. I thought it was great. It is not a self-help or advice book; but is the true story that tells how ". . . two seemingly well-adjusted, successful women end up in a string of abusive relationships with men. . ." Physical abuse, emotional abuse, alcohol abuse; and how hard it is to break the cycle. What I liked most is it just tells their story, but does not preach or give advise. It was very powerful.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Scary thread title! Thanks for the tip, I'm no stranger to abusive relationships sadly. I thought I'd broken the cycle and of course I walked straight into another. They are deceptive in their initial subtlety.

Last edited by Angelus; 06-30-2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelleenk
Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOL! Angelus - I thought the same thing you did!

I'll have to check out that book. I like reading examples so hearing a complete story would be helpful. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good Lord! You freaked me out with the title of the thread! LOL! I love to read, so thanks for the book rec.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to start a panic!! I guess that's why they used that for the title of the book, it does attract attention.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read the book last week. It was great and a must read. It was scary how much I could relate to parts of the book. I highly recommend it.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nowinsituation View Post
Has anyone read this book? I bought it to read on vacation and just finished it. I thought it was great. It is not a self-help or advice book; but is the true story that tells how ". . . two seemingly well-adjusted, successful women end up in a string of abusive relationships with men. . ." Physical abuse, emotional abuse, alcohol abuse; and how hard it is to break the cycle. What I liked most is it just tells their story, but does not preach or give advise. It was very powerful.
I was worried with that heading glad you are ok. will get the book. Another good book is Beautiful Boy - a father writes about his sons meth addication. Good read.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Add me to the list of "Oh no!!" reactions!

I like the sound of that book, I'll have to look into it.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ETA: I just bought it from ebay!

I always enjoy reading true life stories such as this. They are heartbreaking to read but in someway inspirational.