Notices

plan on quitting

Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

plan on quitting

Hi, I plan on quitting smoking , My date set for that is the week of July the 7th ... I would like to take Chantax my mom took this and quit, only problems she had was some gas and weird dreams. So Im wondering if this would work for me? Can anyone find sound data on the percentages of advers reactions ...? Im going to see if my insureance will cover this. I hope they do.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Good luck Katiedid!!!
I would like to quit too but I am just not quite ready.
I am new to sobriety and trying to take it easy
I wanted to take Chantax last year but my insurance company would not cover it
I wish you the best!!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just checked with my insurance and they do cover it. Now Im researching the saftey of the drug... Although even if its safe you never know what drug will react with your body chemstry. I dont want to go threw the horriable withdrawel agian. It made me crazy and I had alot of anxiety issues last time I quit.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

does anyone no why there is a warning about telling your dr. if you use asthma meds and taking chantix?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KD,
Here is a link to some side effects and info on asthma relation...
Chantix side effects and precautions!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey! Did you know there is a social group on SR for Chantix??
Check it out
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...php?groupid=27
Old 06-26-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
KD,
Here is a link to some side effects and info on asthma relation...
Chantix side effects and precautions!

I hope my asthma meds dont interfere with me taking it. I guess I will find out July the 18th thats when I could get the next avialable appoitment.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Greetings to you both and :praying that you will become active participants in this forum during your quits. Regardless of what method you use to quit, the support coming from other quitters helps tremendously. I love these boards. They are (truly-truly) an essential "part" to quitting. Stay in touch --daily-- okay?

cess101

PS This one: , is for chippa.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

Katie,
I have asthma, now, and take chantix.
I am not having any problem. My doc prescribed it for me.
I have dreams, but, they're nice ones!
That's the only side effect I'm having.
And as Cess noted, a support group is essential for my quit too!

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take all this with a grain of salt- I am by no means a medical professional

Katie I have a brother in law who is a chiropractor and I used to take wellbutrin and there's a sticker on the side of the pill bottle that says something to the effect of may cause suicidal tendencies- I mentioned it to him and he would always say to me 'just man up and quit smoking'

He was joking around like guys do with each other, but we had a discussion about chantix once and he said he had several patients who have tried it, like 15 or so, and their rate of success with the chantix was 100% he said if I weren't doing so good cold turkey, he would have told me to go get that

of course that made me think- 'well, maybe I'll just start up smoking again for a couple more weeks and the take chantix' but I wisely decided against it-

Good luck whatever you decide- take advantage of the online community and the support you can get here
Old 07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

of course that made me think- 'well, maybe I'll just start up smoking again for a couple more weeks and the take chantix' but I wisely decided against it-
Take THAT, Chippa, even for thinking such a thing! LOL!
Good luck whatever you decide- take advantage of the online community and the support you can get here
Right on!

Shalom!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just started it today. Took my first pill with a big breakfast and lots of water... Wish me luck!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

katiedid79 Watch Star Wars Movies!

Or any Kung Fu flicks......

*Laffin*

You have to be one with the "Chantix", you have to feel the "Chantix"

(that is why you start on a weenie dose and gradually build up)

My advice is for the first week live a normal life, smoke all you want and ignore the fact you take something once, for three days, then twice for four.

Yep! the quit date is day 8!!!!!

yes if you do quit on day 8 then cool....

If not, then believe me you don't have to SET a quit date, a "QUIT" date will happen naturally during the 12 week treatment.

P.S. a simple breakfast as small as an apple or a donut will stop the desire to puke! (the taking Chantix WITH food, not 15 mins before or after is the only strict rule I advise anyone to follow)
Old 07-25-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't use the Chantix. I just want to extend BIG WARM CONGRATULATIONS to you katiedid and you possum and you TTSO..... for quitting. It is the best thing you could ever do, not only for your health but also for your wellbeing. Smoking was sooo burdensome, now that I look back at it. Run, run, run, run, RUN!! That's the best word I could think to describe it. It's like it runs your daily life; rain, sleet, snow, etc. you know what I mean? Life is so much more pleasant with out all of that ruckus. Don't miss it a bit. How 'bout you?

What do you miss about smoking most, if anything? Share the pro's as well as the con's. To those just starting out, weighing out all the pro's and con's of smoking is beneficial, long-term as well as in the short-term.

As you can probably tell.....my advice to fellow quitters is to post and stick close to other quitters and have a well-rounded, solid support group. The more the merrier 8Take good care!

:ghug
cess101
Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well im on day 6 of the chantix. So far so good. I have noticed that Im smoking alot less. The cigs are starting to taste nasty every time I smoke. I got a head ache one time but not sure if that was related to the drug or not. Not really having to many side affects , some mild commen side affects alot eaiser then being pregnant, no naseua. Im starting to taper today (the cigs), and plan to taper or at least keep it equal as today and see if by day 8 I can quit all together. I have found myself resisting the urge more often and it is easier. But still have to work at thow. Seems alot better then using gum or nicotine patch.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

katie your avatar is hilarious!

I just realized the goose was smoking a cigarette!

I'm a sucker for those kinds of gags- the talking monkeys are my favorite

sounds like you have a good handle on this- keep it up, you're heading in the right direction

be good to yourself
Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well Im on my last pack of smokes. Actually today day 7 was supposed to be my quit date, but I figured better just finish this pack off. I did however save 3$ today by not buying a pack. That made me feel good. I only have 12 cigs left. So that means Im down to half a pack a day. I was smoking a whole pack. I think the mental part is going to be the worst of it. I think I will do fine. The sooner the better.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

THREE BUCKS!!!!??!

I'd start back up again! (not really)

Round these parts they're seven dollars a pack!

Keep up the good work Katie, we're rooting for you!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Chantix and Pregnancy.

Same symptoms, nausia, cravings etc

The first week it was any do-nut with a vanilla filling.
Then it was (sorry but us smokers can mention drinking) Bud Light Chelada.
Then it was Boiled Cabbage.
Then it was Brats with boiled cabbage and mash...

Today it is roast pork with stuffing and apple sauce, gravy, mash and.... you guessed!

BOILED CABBAGE!

Oh... 6 days smoke free, on Chantix 4 weeks 2 days.

katiedid79,

Like you my quit date was when I smoked all I had. Unfortunatly I had 4 cartons in stock when I started Chantix. I sold 2!

Good luck, it is not as hard as you think it will be. I am a 60+ a day smoker down to 0 in 3 weeks.

I feel so smug!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 8 , I only smoked 8 cigs yesterday. I have 4 left. Minus parts of 2 that I took puffs of this morning. Got 2 left in my pack. Got a little nasuea after taking the blue pill. But went and got some water and am drinking lots of it. Seems to help. I did eat but it seems like when I first got up on the doses that this happens. Not a big deal. As it is mild and not unbearable. My asthma seems to be acting up more but Im not haveing as bad of attacks. I think it will go away completly when I quit. I can tell when I smoke , that it is hurting my lungs. Didnt really pay attention before.