Notices

day 37, and I wanna get drrrrrrrrrunk

Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Music Lover

day 37, and I wanna get drrrrrrrrrunk

This is the first time i've ever really had a strong craving to get completely wasted. It's amazing to me how strong the craving is! I'm watching Metallica's webcast from Bonnaroo, and something about the party atmosphere just makes me want to drink. uuuggghhhh. I've been craving weed, which I fully expected, but I can deal with that. I didn't expect i'd want to get this drunk!!! help!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't watch Metallica. Get out of the house. Go for a walk. Remind yourself why you decided to get sober.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Drugfree)) love your name...stay that way
Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Remember the after-effects. And the feelings of sickness and hang-overs. Do you really want to go there again, too?

Sending love and peace of mind to you.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I believe James Hetfield went into rehab in '01. Just sayin'. One of my favorites is "And Nothing Else Matters". I'm glad you came here to say how you were feeling. This too shall pass.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hevyn's right - mighta been 03 tho? (maybe he went twice not a Metallica fanatic)

Metallica's James Hetfield Shares Rehab Experience

05/06/2003

(5/6/03, 1 p.m. ET) -- Metallica has started a "Maytallica" month of promotion for St. Anger, a new album that reflects vocalist/guitarist James Hetfield's rehabilitation from alcohol abuse.

Hetfield said that entering rehab was one of the scariest times in his life. "I was just kind of really scared," Hetfied said. "I was dropped off into this place and at that point my family was in question. Basically the family had split up, or I was no longer in the house, and it was totally one of the most scary times in my life. It was really like the earth was shaking under me, there was no stability, it felt like a constant earthquake. I had no idea what I was doing, where I was going."

Later, he's said stuff like this:

"Recovery is the most difficult and challenging thing I've ever attempted (along with parenting)... [It's] also the most grounding and gratifying gift I've ever received (along with parenting)."

"Every breath I take becomes deeper, and [I become] more confident of myself without my crutches. The lies I've filled my body and soul with aren't needed anymore. They're not welcome. I choose to live, not just exist."

don't believe the BS romantic party image - this drinking crap sucks.

D
Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I can really understand why this happened. My first year or so in Recovery, I really had a hard time listening to live music . . . it reminded me of all the concerts I had been to where I got so trashed that it's a wonder I remember anything at all.

Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll.

Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't having sex at concerts! But the drugs/alcohol and rock and roll went together for me like peanut butter and jelly. I never had one without the other.

When I had a craving, the first thing I did was identify what caused it and you already know it was watching the concert so, turn off the tv or change the channel. I'm not saying you can never watch a concert again, but right now it seems like it may be kicking up the peanut butter and jelly for you too.

As long as your don't pick up . . . "Nothing Else Matters"

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy
Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Every time I've relapsed after a sober period I felt worse: ashamed, sick, disgusted with myself, and wondering why on earth I drank when I know how bad it is for me.

Keep telling yourself why you quit drinking. cravings don't last forever. Ride them out. You'll feel like dirt the next day if you drink.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't listen to the music that is triggering you.

It takes a lot of changes in early sobriety to be able to stick with it.

You can get through this!
Old 06-14-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your progress....

Prayers that you continue to find your way.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dee, great that you posted that - I only remembered that he went, but didn't read about his feelings afterwards.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Music Lover

Thank so much for your kind words and support. I made it through that day, and the days following, without drinking anything. :-) It's getting easier!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Weird thing is: When we feel lousy, we expect it will last forever. When we feel good, we think it's temporary... At least that's the way I feel often. Anyways, it's all temporary. One wave after the other. Try to patch together as many good hours as you can. Then ride out the difficult ones.

You did that this time. We're proud of you! Keep coming back!

-- NM