10 Day Challenge - Day #9 - Monday, June 9

Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking 10 Day Challenge - Day #9 - Monday, June 9

Ah Monday....

It is so hot here in the No.east I'm gonna try and walk super early for #9. Stay hydrated everybody!

One of the first sayings that really helped me in AlAnon was "Just for Today." I could relate to the concept of letting go of all the insanity and worry and fear and controlling management of others "just for today" couldn't I?!! I found when I took that perspective a lot of things shifted for me....It kind of gives you a mind vacation to allow yourself to act/think totally different from how you routinely act/think - just for today. Naturally, I would learn a lot from those "days off." And what I learned began to affect my former routine way of behaving....

So I know for sure I need some reminding to meditate on "the present!"

How acquainted are we with the present? Do we dwell in the past or project into the future? What immediate benefits are there in focusing on the present moment? What long term benefits might come from meditating on the present?

from "Live Here Now:"
When you are in the moment you are truly alive.

Being in the moment means being aware, with inner peace accepting the flow of life.

Not worrying (no undisciplined thinking), not being angry, but being fully alert, aware but relaxed.

Having faith and trust in your inner power & inner goodness.

Being mindful of the circumstances, connections and consequences of your actions.

Making choices through intuition or higher purer guidance, cultivated from right understanding and lack of ignorance or dissillusion.

"Now is the only time. How we relate to it creates the future. In other words, if we're going to be more cheerful in the future, it's because of our aspiration and exertion to be cheerful in the present. What we do accumulates; the future is the result of what we do right now."
— Pema Chödrön in When Things Fall Apart

"Listen to the Exhortation of the Dawn!
Look to this Day!
For it is Life, the very Life of Life.
In its brief course lie all the
Verities and Realities of your Existence.
The Bliss of Growth,
The Glory of Action,
The Splendor of Beauty;
For Yesterday is but a Dream,
And To-morrow is only a Vision;
But To-day well lived makes
Every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness,
And every Tomorrow a Vision of Hope.
Look well therefore to this Day!
Such is the Salutation of the Dawn!"
Kalidasa

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day to day basis."
Margaret Bonnano

Happy Trails-
B.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey all-
I had a tough time walking today - it was so disgustingly hot...just too much. But I rallied cuz I needed to settle the old mind!

I guess the biggest feeling from focusing on being in the moment is one of peace and freedom.

When I imagine paradise I imagine freedom & peace as being two of the more abundantly available qualities. Since my natural tendency is to obsess over the past or worry about the future - walking for a half hour and just being focused on that half hour was paradise!

But I don't know how to do that all the time - I guess I can't - who would remember to have the nice clothes pressed for the final school assembly in a week's time!!?

Peace,
B.