Notices

Venting, whining, whatever just geting it out

Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Venting, whining, whatever just geting it out

Well I've been sober for close to 60 days.. I think more like 45 now that I look back at the time line. Ah 45 - 60 days.. I'm going forward ..

One of the things I've learned about myself in my sobriety is that I naturally think negatively.

I'm real stressed in life as I've made a big mess of things (well not all me, but I certainly had allot to do with it) and am about to blow all the good things I have if I don't hold it togther.

My jobs is an extreme pressure cooker and I am extremely unhappy in my work . But I owe I owe .. I know if I dump the job I could focus on improving in the others areas of my life..

But what to do ... I could probably hold out about a year before I run out of money.. ?? .. Of course my biggest fear is the unknown if I do this.

I don't sleep very well and feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm real short on hope and don't see a good outcome ..

Oh well ... it feels good to at least write about it and get all this out of my head.

Thx all for listening...
Old 06-07-2008, 01:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody....(except the pups that is!!!!)
I got no wine cos I just gave up
Oh how I wish I had someone to talk to
I'm in an awful way
Old 06-07-2008, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I did change my stressful job to protect my sobriety.
If you are atending AA...it's a good place to network jobs.

Sleeping problems? Please check here

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Congratulations on your sober time...
Old 06-07-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Everything you mentioned is pretty familiar to me.

And my mind naturally tends to be negative too - I recognize the negativity as my 'disease' now though, and sometimes I laugh at it.

We live, we learn. That never stops (I hope).
Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm finding out what I already found out my last few relapses: that stress is my biggest trigger. I am learning to deal with stress in other ways than drinking. :praying
Old 06-07-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why is the place you spend the most awake hours the most hated place to be? I mean you mentioned this, my husband feels the same way, and Jeeplady can relate. I heard some kind of statistic on that. In fact here's a link Americans hate jobs more than ever - Careers - MSNBC.com The article is over a year old though, but I think the same sentiment holds true a year later.

Can you take any steps toward leaving? Do you have a dream job? Maybe make a plan like you did when you stopped other insanity.

Good luck and God bless you.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello,

Can't help on the job note but as far as negative thinking goes I would pray every evening for my higher power to remove my defects of character and reflect on it every night when saying my evening prayers. I have done this for my anger issues and feel I'm getting much better. I actually even managed to stay serene when getting rooked out of $400 from my soon to be ex-wife! I was amazed and humbled by that make no mistake!!

John
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Carol, I got into a less stressful job situation.

Life is too short to work at something that you don't like, especially if it might lead you back to addiction. I hope you can look around and find a job that suits you better.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

I have been drinking a bottle of wine a night for the past 2 years. I feel that I am self-medicating. When I start drinking wine (I dont tend to drink spirits), I sometimes feel that I can't or don't want to stop. Drinking makes me feel good, I suppose in a way it gives me a 'high'. I have tried to reduce it to 4 or 5 nights a week and even just a couple of glasses, but if I have a bottle in the fridge, I tend to finish it off. I just love the taste of it and I guess, the feeling it gives me. I have always been an extroverted person, so its not as if it gives me confidence, in that regard anyway. My husband and some friends have indicated that I change when I'm drunk, in that I get louder and talk over the top of everybody. At first I just thought this was a character trait of mine, but feel now that it isn't, its 'the drink talking'.

I have had to deal with a few personal issues in the last couple of years, for example finding out that I cannot have children, never being able to fulfill a career and the fact that my husband wants to live overseas and work, which I have come to terms with now and also enjoy. I also have other addictions being cigarette smoking and sometimes, shopping. I really do believe that I have an addictive personality.

I want to know what kind of strategies I can use to 'cut down' my drinking. I don't necessarily want to quit altogether, if this is at all possible, I just want to cut down to a few glasses and only a couple of nights a week.

I appreciate any replies.

Kind regards, Phoebekitty
Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice Guy - I read book that really helped me make some career decisions once but it is for other aspects of life as well. Its called "Feal the fear and do it anyway" By Susan Jeffers. The basis is that if you are not feeling fear then you are too in your comfort zone and to feel fear means that you living life more than if you didnt. Just a thought

Lindsay
Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi NiceGuy, just so you know, I worked for years at a job I hated, and I too made the decision to pursue something I loved. It took about four months to get it all in place, but I can tell you in all honesty since I am not dragging myself to a job I hate anymore, the urge to drink has been greatly diminished (plus I am no longer faced with the dreaded HAPPY HOURS). The only downside to making such a decision is that I do not make the big income anymore and I am still trying to adjust to that. What I am trying to say is, if there is somethng you enjoy doing that you could make money at you should look into it. The internet is a wonderful tool for seeing what opportunities are out there. Maybe you will feel better just thinking about what you would do with your life if money were no object. When I feel trapped I feel relief when I allow myself to create alternatives. Set your mind free a little bit and see what happens, I hope this helps even a little bit.