# 1 (permalink)  

the patch....

...itches. :saywhat?:
Old 07-04-2003, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

WHOA!!!! Does this mean...???

Good for you Smoke (you may have to change your name to "No Smoke Gets In My Eyes")

Oh you are so much braver than I am, but certainly an inspiration!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going to dinner, show and fireworks with two non-smokers. One just stopped smoking because he almost died a few months ago from an aneurism (sp?). Guess now is as good a time as any. Anybody got a tootsie pop?
Old 07-04-2003, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Yes I do have a cherry and a grape! Way to go Smoke, maybe I should have bought a patch instead of a pack

Hugs,
Debbie
Old 07-04-2003, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Whoa!!!!!

Your not going to believe this, Smoke, but I'm sucking on a tootsie pop as I read your post! Weird! Mine's chocolate--and you can have a few licks if you like. We just got back from parades, and they threw lots and lots of candy. I ate all the tootsie rolls already, and started in on the only tootsie pop. But if you don't like to share I can give you the one charms blow-pop or any flavor you like of dum-dums.

Never had to quit smoking--my biggest habit is eating, chocolate mostly (how am I doing?)

Hang in there, and hope it goes well!

Lyn
Old 07-04-2003, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

What?! You smoke Ann??
I am shocked
I don't know why.

And YIPPEE for Smoke!!
OK, you are my new hero... I have vowed to quit smoking before I was 30 - My birthday is in December ... You'll just have to stay a non-smoker until I can jump on the wagon with ya. Is there any room??
Good for you girl, I'm so proud

BTW... I KNOW how much it itches... what got me thru the last time (I quit for 3 months) was how HEALTHY I felt! And that each day I was doing myself GOOD!

Keep it up girl, we're rootin for ya
Meg
Old 07-04-2003, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you Smoke!!!!!!!!

OK Meg, we use Smoke as an inspiration because I'm suppose to quit when I turn 40 and my birthday is in Dec. too. We have 6 months, sooooooo smoke em if ya got em!!!!!!! (not you Smoke)

I quit once but they didn't have the patch then, believe it or not ....I dipped, you know skoal. Can you believe it. It worked and I quit for 6 1/ 2 yrs.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Meg

I guess an angel smoking is a strange sight. Maybe I am a litttle like John Tavolta's angel in "Michael" - a little rough around the halo.

I have psyched up several times to try to get ready to quit, and have even gone 4 or 5 days, and I don't smoke that much maybe 8 or 10 a day....but I am just a failure. This angel turns into a nasty little she-devil and it's a terrible sight.

I honestly think that next time I get up the courage, I will go to a non-smoking clinic or something. It really is a nasty addiction.

I bow to Smoke and anyone who has beat nicotine.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will join Ann in

bowing to Smoke. Just thinking about quitting cigarettes makes me break out in a cold sweat. The last time I tried to quit I was so foul that total strangers on the street wanted to kill me. Best of luck Smoke, I know what a hard habit it is to break.
Ann, I had to laugh at Andie McDowall in "Michael" when she said "Angels don't smoke!" Certainly some of us do. And I will be laughing for weeks at "a little rough around the halo."
Peace,
Gabe
Old 07-04-2003, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Angels come in all shapes and sizes and sorts.... You may be a smoking angel Ann, but you still have a kind and patient heart - you can be MY angel anytime
Meg
Old 07-06-2003, 11:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you Smoke!!!!!

You CAN do this. Remember, one day at a time! I wish for all my
Alanon board pals to find the strength to quit! I want you around with me for many, many years. I quit so long ago that I can't really remember the cravings. I guess I was never a real smoker. Mostly when I went out. I never had to get up in the morning and light one up. I know you will be successful. Yeah for tootsie roll pops! Those cute little baby carrots might help too.

Take care and prayers going your way,
matters
Old 07-06-2003, 08:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

GL Smoke !

that's a tough one ! I quit once with hypnotism
it lasted 18 mths. and one day , there it was an unopened
red pack of winston on the sidewalk at work,I looked
around and quickly put it in my pocket. The first one made me high - It doesnt take long for the addiction to come back...

Will try again one of these days
Hugs
liddy
Old 07-28-2003, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

suckers....

no... I don't mean any of you guys. Had a little difficulty with the patch. (Mostly with paying for it.) I am now ready to give you some tips on the sucker cure.

Works great. But suckers all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Dum Dums- Lots of flavors. Cheap. Yummy. Plentiful. Basic. But the name keeps reminding you why you're having to take the sucker cure.

Tootsie pops- Easy to find. Hard not to bite. A few more calories than some other suckers.

Charms Caramel Apple Pops- Really do taste like caramel apples. Hard to find. Don't bite... your teeth will stick together and you could lose a filling.

Jolly Rancher Pops- INTENSE flavors... but there are only 4 flavors. Smooth candy that will not cut you tongue. The cherry is so strong it's sort of like eating a mouthful of marischinos.

Starburst Fruit Chew Pops- Wow. 5 flavors with chewy stuff inside. They have vitamin C in them so you don't want to eat the whole bag or you could get the runs. Also, the candy is kind of jaggedy and sort of cuts and then after about 10 or so the vitamin C starts to irritate the little cuts.

Old 07-28-2003, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Smoke have you ever tried Blow Pops (the sour flavors), they are sour and inside is the surprise of bubble gum. You might like them.

I also heard (veering off the sucker theme here) that cinnamon sticks work, haven't tried it myself. I keep trying to quit and I keep failing. If they keep going up in price, I will just have to.

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 07-28-2003, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh yes! Blow pops. Those are good. And you don't eat them so fast because you can chew on them awhile.

Cinnamon sticks? What do you do with them? Chew them? Pretend they're a cigarette and just act like you're smoking? Stick two of them in front of your bicuspids and pretend you're a vampire with poor dental hygiene?
Old 07-28-2003, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Suck on them I think, and act like they are a cigarette. I saw this on a couple stop smoking sites. They are a substitute.

I don' think you need to pretend you are a vampire with poor dental hygiene silly girl
Old 07-28-2003, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, okay... but if you got bored it might make for some diversion.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Yes perhaps but Smoke don't do it in public!!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah Smoke (or is it smokeless?)
I quite on 12/31/02. I used the patch. My husband and I did it together (3 months before he quit drinking). I feel so much healthier!!
I know the patch itches when you first put it on. I found the best locations were on my biceps, triceps, traps and lats (arms, back of shoulders, and on my lower back).

WARNING::::: They gave me wicked dreams (actually had a dream about Kid Rock. YUCK!!!!) So you might want to take them off before bedtime (just as I was going to bed worked for me) and have them next to your bed so you put one on just after you wake/shower.

It worked for us. Just keep thinking how much healthier you will be.
Good Luck! You can do it!!!
NoDoubt
Old 07-28-2003, 06:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

Way to go Smoke!

I just quit today also! I've had 2 aversion therapy hypontism sessions and the patch! It can be done. We got through life before you started smoking and we can now.

Congrats!

-Midknight