What are your thoughts on this?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At what point in addiction do you think an addict's "choice" to use becomes a "need" to use?

Do you see any paralles (sp?) in codependent behavior?

I know everyone is different. And also, if some of the recovering people can remember or understand this first hand I would love your input. I feel like after learning so much here after the past couple of months I actually find this "baffling" disease fascinating. Don't get me wrong on this... its not "fascinating" like "oh wow addicts are so mysterious" I'm interested in the psycological/behavioral aspects.

I really want to learn more about the history of it too.

If anyone has ever watched "The Libertine" You can see the progression of the disease and how it affects his wife his life etc...And it made me think of how it doesn't matter where we are, who we are, what time period we're from, or our culture. The disease follows certain patterns. I know some people think it is "spiritual" disease too. I also find this interesting.

There are some yucky parts in this film and alot of profnity so If you want to see it proceed with caution
Old 05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm, I think that circumstances exist that set one up for alcoholism or codependent behavior long before we ever take a drink or take on a co-dependent relationship. ie In my case i suspect my self-esteem plays the largest part in being co-dependent, and my self-esteem has probably been eroding since I began kindergarten. My xabf is the son of an alcoholic father whom he felt abandoned by.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, my codependency issues were rooted in the way I was raised, where I was in constant danger and felt I needed the "sure thing" of a relationship in order to survive. I would do anything to feel safe. Was it a choice? A need? Who's to say? I suppose I could've chosen otherwise, but I didn't have the resources, support, or knowledge to do so for many years. Once I had them, it took a while to really learn how to use them to change myself. Once I knew how to use them, then there was no need, only choice, and I chose to recover. Long journey though...

My siblings were addicts from the first time they took their drug of choice. It was like a timebomb within each of them, just waiting for someone to strike a match. Again, hard to say where that line between choice and need lies. I think it's different for all people.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At what point in addiction do you think an addict's "choice" to use becomes a "need" to use?
You might be interested in reading Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism: James Robert Milam, Katherine Ketcham. This issue is addressed from a medical perspective.

Do you see any paralles (sp?) in codependent behavior?
I see a lot of similarities between codependency and addiction. My "urges" to behave in a codependent manner are as compulsive as the alcoholic's desire/need to drink. I have to concentrate on my recovery everyday to keep those urges in check.

I actually find this "baffling" disease fascinating. Don't get me wrong on this... its not "fascinating" like "oh wow addicts are so mysterious" I'm interested in the psycological/behavioral aspects.
I wouldn't call my interest a fascination but I am do want to understand why I behave the way I do and how I can change my behavior. I want to understand the disease of alcoholism because knowledge is power. Perhaps we can prevent alcoholism or addiction in future generations if we understand it better.