Notices

Speaker?

Old 05-18-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Speaker?

I got a call last week. I was asked to be a speaker next Thursday night! I am flattered. I accepted and i'm nervous.. The way they do it here in Egypt, other than the standard what it was like, what happened, and what its like now, is that they go through the steps telling how they work/ed each step, and their understanding of that step. I'm curious to know how it's done in your neck of the woods...
Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
An Addict name Jerome.......

Pretty much it's like you just wrote. I'm no speaker, but my sponsor is a great speaker. He never knows totally what he's going to speak about. He starts with an ideal and lets his HP speak thru him.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I'm not a "circuit speaker," but I do get asked from time to time. And in my area there's many different formats. At some meetings the speaker shares on a topic, like a step or a tradition...and that's typical. Or the topic can be something recovery related, like sponsorship, the importance of attending meetings, gratitude, honesty, etc... Then, at other times, a speaker is just asked to share their ES&H, and very often they'll simply tell their story. Whatever the case, when we're honest, the message of recovery always comes through.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

10% of what it was like
80% of how it is like in recovery
10% of the hope in the future
Old 05-18-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

What an honor!

I am pretty new to recovery and I have been to one speaker meeting and was a little disappointed he didn't tell hardly anything about what it was like before he found recovery. I wasn't looking for gory horror stories, but it just makes one wonder just where he came from......

But I do agree w/ those above, keep that part brief.... maybe make an outline and have it on the podium so you can fall back on it if you freeze up? I always like to be prepared when I speak. (not that I ever shared on recovery, but I have shared at a widow's group and a womens group about what happened with my first husband and his brain cancer, how I coped, what happened, and where I am at today....) ppl love to hear your story! So share, be transparent, and real.....and share that HOPE in recovery you have today! You will do GREAT! blessings, Sheila
Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Before you start ask your HP to guide you. Just share from your heart. When I try to plan it out, and I have a few times over the years, I get to nervous. When I ask my HP to guide me, I get that warm feeling when I am done, that is how I know I spoke from the heart.

I am speaking this weekend at a local rehab, a place I have never even attended a meeting at before. I have asked some of my support group to come with me, those familiar smiling faces will help ease my nerves.

Remember, just share from your heart, share your recovery.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

I did it! The more I tried to prepare what I wanted to say the more nervous and fearful I became. I let it go a few hours before and asked God for help. I felt much better up until the meeting. I asked Him again for guidance before I spoke and what flowed came from the heart. I felt good after I was done. People came up to me expressing how they had identical situations/experiences. It was very rewarding.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

That is how it works....great job!!!!!!!!!!!