Notices

Our Solution, Our Program, Our Steps

Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Our Solution, Our Program, Our Steps

"As a result of attending a few meetings, we begin to feel like we finally belong somewhere. It is in these meetings that we are introduced to the Twelve Steps of Narcotics Anonymous. We learn to work the steps in the order that they are written and to use them on a daily basis. The steps are our solution. They are our survival kit. They are our defense against addiction which is a deadly disease. Our steps are the principles that make our recovery possible."

I was reading another thread at this site (which I often do) and came away from it thinking about how many people in recovery see things so differently. Especially when discussing choice, power or control. I know that my experience has taught me many things, and I try to stay open to new ideas because I don't have all the answers...yet I do have a few. The most important answer, or should I say - solution, I've discovered is the 12 Steps of NA.

NA has taught me that I suffer from a disease (not a substance) that can be arrested, and that my recovery is my responsibility. Without the need or desire to use, today I have free choice over impulsive thinking and compulsive action. In this way, I am empowered and as long as I continue to "live" the program, using or relapse is nothing to fear. The course of action that is outlined in the 12 Steps of NA are my defense against the disease of addiction. And as long as I remain willing to follow this course of action and take advantage of the help available to me...in this way, I do recover.

"We have never seen a person who lives the Narcotics Anonymous Program relapse." ~ BT, page 76

"In our experience, no addict who has completely surrendered to this program has ever failed to find recovery." ~ BT, page 87

The solution is the steps, and the steps are my defense. The solution gives me choice, and with choice I am empowered. JFT, I do not have to use.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

WE are not defenseless.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thanks Garry! I needed to be reminded of that today. :ghug3