Notices

Question from an AA person

Old 05-15-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Question from an AA person

I am a recovered alcoholic who uses AA for my program. I have been considering going to an NA meeting in my area just to see what they are like.

I do have a question if you all do not mind. Is it okay if I introduce myself as an alcoholic since I am not an addict?

I am fully aware that NA feels that alcohol is a drug and I agree with that, I want to make sure I show no disrespect for the NA fellowship so if there is anything else I should know or advice I would apreciate it.

The reason I am doing this is because there are AA meetings every night in my area but not NA meetings as a result we have quite a few NA's who attend AA's meetings on NA off nights and I thought maybe I could relate a bit better with them if I checked out an NA meeting or 2.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Hiya Taz,
If you agree that 'alcohol is a drug' as you say, then you shouldn't have a problem saying: Hi my name is ....... and i'm an addict.
Here's what I do:
When i'm in AA meetings, i say alcoholic. i also try to limit my share to alcohol/lism
When i'm in NA meetings, i say addict.
I also try to be aware of 'sober' and 'clean'
I gather that you are trying to bond, to see the similarities.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Good luck and welcome!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks 2ala2, that is just the kind of advice I was seeking.

I gather that you are trying to bond, to see the similarities.
Exactly!!!! NA in our area from what I have heard has a need for sponsors and some NA folks have AA sponsors, I know some NA folks that attend AA and I am seeking the similarities in case someone in NA ask me to sponsor them and also to where I can somply relate better.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Taz - I'm an addict, but went to AA because I just felt more comfortable there. Also, there were far many more AA meetings than NA.

My sponsor has several years of sobriety, but has never done any type of drugs. We had NO problem relating, even though alcohol wasn't MY problem. We never focused on what I used or she had used, and it worked pretty darn good. About half of my home group were actually addicts, and they were always welcome.

I think it's neat that you want to see what goes on in an NA meeting so you can help an addict!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Amy I pray I never turn away someone seeking help, I just want to get a degree of comfort with NA. My sponsee right now had a problem with drugs in his youth and moved on to full blown alcoholism in a very short amount of time. I messed around with dope in HS, but none of the hard stuff, I smoked dope laced with everything under the sun back in the day, but for me alcohol was my DOC even then.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My experience is very similar to Amy's....my drug of choice ended up being heroin. But, I can not drink alcohol either because I'm an alcoholic and it will lead me right back to the coke, then the heroin....been there done that and tried it every way possible!

Years ago, and btw I've been clean & sober since 8/97, sorry but that's how I say it....Clean & Sober. Anyways, years ago I attended NA and was even involved in service in NA and started new groups etc etc, H & I too, went to the World Convention in 98 in San Jose.....etc etc. BUT, here in this town I live in AA is much stronger. I've ALWAYS had an AA sponsor. Then you have the NA Nazi's and basically they ran many of us long timers out......sorry, but that's the truth. So......with that I choose to remain an alcoholic at AA even though my story has much to do with dope! Works for me.....
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Connie do you sponsor NA folks? Why did you go with an AA sponsor?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Currently I am not. I did in the past and frankly I was very up front with them and sponsored them straight out of the AA literature. I knew it better plus that's how I had been sponsored.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hey Taz,

I, too, think it's wonderful that you're willing to help addicts in need. 2ala2 gave you the same suggestions I was thinking.

If you're only going to NA meetings as a visitor and to observe, I doubt if you'll have a need to introduce yourself. Whether the meeting is open or closed, non-addicts aren't supposed to participate verbally. Yet, you say you understand that alcohol is a drug, so you shouldn't have a problem with referring to yourself as an addict. When sharing, just be mindful to avoid drug specific language and sharing on the spiritual principles of the steps is something you can never go wrong with.

From what I understand, when NA was new, most addicts had AA sponsors. My sponsor has over 20 years clean and told me his 1st sponsor was an AA member. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

sharing on the spiritual principles of the steps is something you can never go wrong with.
The spiritual principles are what bonds us all together Garry, if I was to share that would be something I can speak to with ES&H.

I have heard many alcoholics younger then me (I was 52 when I got sober, I am now 54) share that drugs sped up thier trip to their bottom.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Taz

In some ( hopefully many) areas the fellowships intermingle well with each other.I have lived in 12 different areas since I found recovery. I try to use alot of neutral language in meetings but I do not hide my program. In others there is some apprehension about diluting the fellowship's message. We see this in AA alot as well. I am in an area right now where NA is not very open to the AA fellowship. But I, like you attend. I am an addict who maintains his recovery in AA. I started in NA, my first sponsor had an AA sponsor, and I believe I need to be available to a suffering addict as well as the alcoholic. And in my AA area, there are alot of addicts who come to AA meetings. They get mixed messages but few people ever offer to take them to an NA meeting. If you get nothing else you will meet a few people you can add to your phone book to call. Because I follow the AA steps I seem to have a different program than many addicts, don't get distracted by the rhetoric ( if there is any). There is evidence that the NA program works, there is also evidence ( and I am exhibit "A") that the twelve steps of AA can make an illiterate junkie into a productive member of society. But in AA I am just an alcoholic, in NA I am just an addict. I am not compromising my principles or cheating, I am practicing the 1st tradition.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks Steve, to me it is working on becomeing of maximum benefit to as many as possible. In my area, NA mixes heavily into AA with little if any issues, I know some AA folks that are also NA folks.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Absolutely!
As I said, at the very least you can gain some contacts who you can lead addicts to since many are told by treatment centers to just go to AA meetings
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

NA is very new where I live. We co exist with AA out of neccesity. Its tough to do 90 in 90 in NA. As addicts we have found which AA meetings are more open to us. In AA I introduce myself as an Alcoholic. We have now attracted some AA members to NA. They sometimes introduce themselves as alcoholics. So we started reading the clarity statement at meetings, and encourage people to talk of clean rather than sober. But it is done within a spirit of tolerance and acceptance that we all suffer from an addiction. I know in some areas people are more hard core - but my view, and thatof our fellowship is that if we can keep carrying the message, then its all good. I am sure with time, as we grow into a stronger NA fellowship, the debate will emerge. For now we keep the doors open, and keep people sponsored into a 12 step programme.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am noticing there seems to be the hardcore in NA as well as AA, you know really that is a good thing, NA & AA need to maintain thier singleness of purpose to insure they both survive, but at the same time they both need to be available when needed for each other.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Taz,
The problem with many of the hardcore sets on both sides? Is that they divide more than they unite. I have seen cooperation work well between the fellowships, and I agree that singleness of purpose needs to be maintained, and I have rarely seen the hardcore people help that. They tend to be bleeding deacons screaming out that theirs is the only way.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

[QUOTE=2ala2;1772215When i'm in AA meetings, i say alcoholic. i also try to limit my share to alcohol/lism
When i'm in NA meetings, i say addict.
I also try to be aware of 'sober' and 'clean'
[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I do...where'd we all get so wise - and considerate! It's wonderful!