Notices

Back pain and wanting to use

Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Back pain and wanting to use

This morning I was goofing off w/ my husband when I saw a woman boxer on TV and was pretending to box him. A few minutes later I couldn't turn my head without pain.

Now I have narrowed down the area, upper back between shoulder blade and spine, so it is obviously not a serious spinal injury.

The addict in me is wanting to go in. I know what I would be prescribed, motrin, flexeril, and vicodin. Dangerous..... I have the first 2 and have taken motrin already. (hardly touched the pain)

why do i hate pain so much. My husband is like, tough it out, work it out....blah blah blah....

I also know that nothing can heal this but time, rest, ice etc. So I thought I would just share and tell you all what I am feeling.

I know I could not use vicodin responisibly anyway....so why do I even entertain the thought??

Tooth pain lead to my last relapse in Jan.
Sheila
Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Sheila: ice for the first 24 hrs, then heat. Gentle stretches, don't lift anything heavy, use extra pillows to get comfortable in bed, and in a few days, it will ease up.

I don't know how old you are, Sheila, but we injure more easily as we get older. We can get through most pain through narcotics. It's good that you have shared your desire to use. Sometimes, all it takes is to get those things out in the open and they lose some of their power over us. I've had them, and when I have, I've talked about them. To try to go it alone without the help of others is a dangerous thing.

Hope you feel better soon.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I am 43 now and no spring chicken! lol thanks for listening to my sharing sugah!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Don't do it, Sheila! I agree with what Sugah said. You already know what to do--you answered it in your own post. Take care of yourself--but stay safe. You did the right thing by posting how you feel. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

((((Sheila))))

You know this is no serious spinal injury like you said, but sure, it hurts. I'm sure it hurts like hell. But remember, this too shall pass. In a few days I'm sure it will ease up. Sugah had some great suggestions.

The reason we hate pain so much is that we are addicts!!!! And with narcotics being your drug of choice, your disease is going to be screaming for you to numb your pain. Don't listen to it.

I suggest you go back through your posts when you relapsed in January. Read what you wrote back then. Remember how you felt then.

Just One Day at A Time!! Don't try to tell yourself that you won't medicate the pain at all while you are hurting. Just get through it one day at a time. When you wake up,tell yourself that you won't take anything today. Don't worry about tomorrow until tomorrow.

I"m here for you. I deal with pain each day. I know how some days it can be difficult.

Hugs and Prayers,
Judy
Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ya did the right thing...telling on your addict. Cuz she still wants you back and will lie to you at every oppertunity
Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

I cannot say more than what has been said already Sheila except....keep talking to us, call your sponsor, call your face to face support.
And most important, do not listen to your head, listen to your heart, your HP speaks to you through your heart.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Part of the reason the pain is so much is that our tolerance for pain goes down if we have used opiates for any length of time. it's crazy what your body will do in order to trick you into using. sad really.

last paragraph in this article.

Understanding Replacement Therapy for Opiate Addiction - Associated Content

what you are going through isn't abnormal. it's something we all need to be aware of and fight continuously. the disease that we have tells us that we can use responsibly. or atleast it does me. even though intellectually i know that i can't my brain tricks me. all i can do is be aware and as stupid as it sounds play the tape all the way through. i know where it will lead me. my DOC may be heroin and oxycontin but one vicodin will give me that old familiar feeling that will trigger the allergy of my body. it's dangerous and it's scary. the brain is powerful.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
REZ

I hear what you're saying. I have had a few injuries in recovery where I thought, "boy some pain pills would be real nice right now!" Fortunately, I was able to get through the pain with aspirin/motrin, stretching exercises, warm baths, massage, cold packs, etc. I can relate to the pain you are feeling now. Shoulder/Neck pain is really hard to deal with because there is not getting away from it: every time you try to turn your head, it is there. Being in pain really tests my patience, which is not one of my strong points!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Well, something cool actually happened....I updated my facebook where it says Sheila is...... and I wrote how i was in major pain cuz i had tweaked my neck and back and my girlfriend from church who is on my friends list messaged me, "I know a really good chiropractor...." HER!

This morning I went to see her. I feel better already. Not all the way, but better! She massaged it, she adjusted me and then put some icy hot type stuff on it and I feel at least 50% better! YAY!

See, the addict in me wanted to be seen, but I was afraid they would want to medicate me, or offer me some and I was afraid of what I would say.

So, I did get to be seen, and I feel better, and I didn't have to get any meds! YAY! I am just taking motrin and ice packs. I am going back to see her on Thursday morning.

I am happy. I have come so far and I am a major pain wimp....so I am relieved.

Sheila
Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Thanks for sharing Sheila, I've been having lower-back pain now for at least 3 weeks. It got really bad yesterday after I did yard work. Now I'm doing the heat-ice-stretch thing. Maybe had I done it before I wouldn't be in so much pain right now. I needed to read this post.