Notices

Methadone

Old 05-11-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone

Can a person get to a low enough dose without going thur the horrible withdrawal and sleepless nights. I am taking 25 mg per day. I don't feel too bad with this dose.. If I taper to ten then 5 and so on can I get off without the pain?? I don't think i can do it if I have to go thru the horrible feeling I have felt in the past. I've tried to quit after taperiing to ten a day but can't do it..
Old 05-11-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Seeking professional advice would be appropriate.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jarrob50 View Post
Can a person get to a low enough dose without going thur the horrible withdrawal and sleepless nights. I am taking 25 mg per day. I don't feel too bad with this dose.. If I taper to ten then 5 and so on can I get off without the pain?? I don't think i can do it if I have to go thru the horrible feeling I have felt in the past. I've tried to quit after taperiing to ten a day but can't do it..
My advice is, don't move down too fast. Give yourself time to adjust. Once you are doing 5 mg you won't feel anything at all when you stop. You Dr. should be telling you this, it's what he told me when I went off meth ~4 yrs ago.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spiritual Being

It is possible to taper though it depends on the individual. At one point I went from 80mg to 6mg by going down 1mg every other day. Around 25mg I started to notice the sickness so I leveled off there for a week and then continued. I noticed the sickness again at 6mg and stopped there. At that point I got got stupid and quit the clinic and relapsed. If I hadn't of done that I'm sure it would have worked.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Please talk to a medical professional.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tapering is hard without help. I know because I tried tapering on another opiate by myself about 100 times without success. Maybe that is just me, though. I'm super weak-willed and have no will power at all with my DOC. I had to go to an addictionologist for help and detox meds to have any luck with it at all. I'm doing good now with the help of my wonderful doc and LOTS of NA meetings. I needed both of those things to work it. But I hope you get it done, the best way you can. Get to a meeting if you can.
kj
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

coming off of methadone is hard hard hard. no matter how low the dose. please don't do it alone. the most dangerous part for me is not the physical detox. small enough dosing helps with that. you may prolly feel some but not much. the most dangerous part for me is the depression that follows. nothing feels good anymore. nothing tastes good. nothing seems fun or looks pretty. it's easy to give into that and assume that that is all there is going to be. that's just chemistry though. your endorphines are all out of whack. you have to fight that and that's why a home group is so important. they can show you that there is good stuff in life again. you can be happy. if you know going in that that may happen it might be easier to fight it. i always handle things better if i know that what i'm going through is common and then understand why it's happening. good luck. please dont try to do it on your own.