Notices

Newbie with question/Geri

Old 05-10-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie with question/Geri

Hello All!
I have what is going to seem like a ridiculious question.
I have been clean and sober for 27 years in AA.
My addictions were alcohol, marajunia, and any downers I could get my hands on and nicotine.
With the grace of my Higher Power and AA I have managed to remain clean and sober from all of the above....except Nicotine.
I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and for awhile we had a Nicotine Anonymous Meeting here once a week. It closed down and guess who relapsed on Nicotine? Me. I had almost 2 yrs with the help of that group.
Here comes my question. AA does not seem to work for me with the Nicotine. I know that Nicotine is a drug.
I believe that NA would probably work better.
Do you think I would be welcome at NA, given the fact I have dealt with the other drugs, and need only to deal with the final one...Nicotine?
Any reply would be appreciated.
Thanks, Geri .K. Windsor, Ont
Old 05-10-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Absolutely--you would be welcome into NA! "We are not interested in what or how much you used.....but only in what you want to do about your problem and how we can help."--pg 9 of NA Basic Text
Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Congratulations on 27 Years!!!!!!!

As far as I know, there is no time limitation that says once an addict/alcoholic has X amt. of years they are no longer welcome at NA or AA.

This is just a thought, maybe since you identify so strongly with AA and your alcoholism, perhaps that's why you are not able to use AA for nicotine. It's worth a try.

Either way, I think you would be a wonderful addition to any NA meeting in your area. I imagine you have a great deal of experience, strength and hope to offer. Especially to the newcomer.

Hope you stick around with us here. Oh, I forgot to also say

Welcome to SR!

God Bless & Thank God . . .Just for Today,
Judy
Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
An Addict name Jerome.......

The real question is, way are we still using nicotine when we know, it is a drug and we are people with the problem of addiction who must obstane from all drugs in order to recover. I have the same problem, not being able to put nicotine down. Of course you will be welcome in NA. We're welcome to talk about this is the AA meetings I go to also.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your quick replies! I think that it is true that I identify very closely with alcohol in AA and that it is true that I can not seem to apply it to Nicotine. And you are right it is a drug and I wish to be free from all.
I am going to look at the NA Step Studies and begin to work on them.
I look forward to getting to know you, and I thank you for your encouragement and support,
Geri .K.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here with us...
Congratulations on your recovery years

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Welcome - I second what everyone has said! You will be more than welcome in NA it's such a great program just like AA and as mentioned above I am sure you will have a lot to offer especially to the newcomer! Keep us posted!

Cathy31
x
Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I have used the 12 steps of NA to kick a nicotine addiction.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hi Geri, welcome.

Do you think I would be welcome at NA, given the fact I have dealt with the other drugs, and need only to deal with the final one...Nicotine?
First of all, I want to say that NA is open to anyone who has a problem with drugs. The disease of addiction is an "equal opportunity destroyer" and what drugs you used aren't as important as how we can help. I can see no reason why you wouldn't be welcomed, yet I also understand that identification (as an addict) is very important as well. Although most of us come to NA because of a specific problem we're having with a drug or drugs, we learn that drugs are just of symptom of the disease of addiction. And it is this disease that we admit our powerlessness over in the 1st step. As we continue through the process, we learn that the 12 steps can be used for any problem we may face. In NA, we deal with every aspect of our disease, not just the most obvious aspect...our drug use.

The issue of nicotine, caffeine and sugar (being considered drugs) has been discussed here at SR before. And it is my personal opinion that nicotine falls under what is called an "outside issue," and I can see how my view is biased because I'm a cigarette smoker and coffee drinker (go figure???). I know I'm not alone on this. I can imagine it being difficult for you to try to stop smoking while attending meetings where NA members smoke...and plenty of us do.

But, to help you make your decision about whether to attend NA for your problem with nicotine, I offer you what was written in a Narcotics Anonymous World Service Bulletin:

"WHAT ABOUT CAFFEINE, NICOTINE, AND SUGAR?

NA is a program of complete abstinence from all drugs. We state this clearly and unequivocally in our meetings and throughout our literature. At most of those meetings, however, coffee and cookies are served and members are smoking cigarettes. Caffeine and nicotine are being used. Some believe that sugar is a mood-altering drug. To many, this represents a grey area in our program. Some consider it a kind of hypocrisy.

To be quite frank, this problem does indeed represent a kind of grey area. It calls upon us again to rise to a higher level in our thinking about our program, not falling back on simplistic black-or-white dogmatic arguments. There is no black or white here. If there were, we would either say that caffeine, nicotine and sugar are not mood- or mind-altering (a claim we would be hard pressed to back up) or that some mood- or mind-altering drugs are okay for us to use. Neither of those statements is acceptable for us to make. This issue challenges each of us to use common sense rather than expecting the ultimate answer from the World Service Board of Trustees. We have no single statement which is adequate to address this perplexing issue, but we do have years of experience to draw from. Since our inception as a fellowship, many of our members have been smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee and eating sugar. Of these members, those who work the steps and abide by the traditions recover. This cannot be said of members who, for example, smoke marijuana or drink alcohol or abuse prescription drugs.

So we as a fellowship do not address the issue of our members' use of caffeine, nicotine or sugar in any way. We leave those decisions to each individual member to work out. Our disease finds many avenues in which to express itself in ongoing recovery. These can be identified by working the steps, facing ourselves honestly, opening up completely with a sponsor, and relying on a Higher Power for the strength we lack. Whenever anything is producing unhappiness or dissatisfaction in our lives, we should use the Twelve Steps to address it."

In a nutshell, the last line of the bulletin tells me that I can use the 12 steps to address any problem I have...regardless of which program or fellowship I choose.

Be blessed.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with the above, I'm not a smoker, and I have seen people try to kick with mixed results. Most of the people at my meetings seem to smoke (outside, not in the meeting) but I am sure you would be welcome to share about your struggle with nicotine. Also, we treat alcohol as we do any other drug at NA, so we don't differentiate between alcoholics and addicts. We are all addicted, we are all addicts at NA. Just so you know. So you can just introduce yourself as an addict, and that would be fine. Please come and join us at NA, we would love to have you as a member!:ghug2
kj
Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
REZ

I have been both a smoker and non-smoker in NA. I have used caffeine and not used caffeine in NA. The 12 steps can help you quit an addiction to nicotine or caffeine, but you don't have to stay away from these substances to be "clean" in NA. I agree with Garry that this is a gray area and that these other substances (specifically nicotine and caffeine) are outside issues.
However, I would strongly recommend that newcomers who are also smokers not try to quit smoking until they are really ready. It is just too much to quit everything all at once. Using crack, heroin, cocaine, pills, alcohol or marijuana is going to cause much more destruction in my life than having a cigarette or cup of coffee.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Well said Rez. I agree that trying to quit everything at once can be very overwhelming. Like they say, "Easy does it."
Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I sought a lesser means of quitting smoking ( the patch!). 6 years now, I used it like methadone. I am not ready to give up java. I just discovered espresso!!!