# 1 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

JFT May 5 - Any Lengths

May 5
Any lengths

“...I was ready to go to any lengths to stay clean.”

Basic Text, p. 217

––––=––––

“Any lengths?” newcomers ask. “What do you mean, any lengths?” Looking back at our active addiction and the lengths we were willing to go to in order to stay high can help to explain. Were we willing to drive many miles to get drugs? Yes, we usually were. Then it makes sense that, if we are as concerned about staying clean as we were about using, we will try anything to find a ride to a meeting.

In our addiction, didn’t we often do crazy, insane things or use unknown substances at the direction of others? Then why do we often find it so hard to take direction in recovery, especially when the direction is designed to help us grow? And when we used, didn’t we often, in desperation, turn to our Higher Power, saying, “Please, just get me out of this one!” Then why do we find it so hard to ask for God’s help in our recovery?

When we used, we usually had an open mind when it came to finding ways and means to get more drugs. If we can apply this same principle of open-mindedness to our recovery, we may surprise ourselves by how easily we begin to grasp the NA program. Our best thinking, it is often said, got us into the rooms of Narcotics Anonymous. If we are willing to go to any lengths, follow directions, and stay open-minded, we can stay clean.

––––=––––

Just for today: I am willing to go to any lengths to stay clean. I will become as open-minded and ready to take direction as I need to be.

Copyright © 1991-2008 by Narcotics Anonymous World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Old 05-04-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I Lived To Use And Used To Live. Now I Live For A Meeting And Use A Meeting To Live. Just Like The Drugs, I Can't Go No Longer Than Two Or Three Days Without A Meeting. I Need To Hear The Message And Perhaps Share My Experience Strength And Hope. Thanks For Your Post.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really like this part-

In our addiction, didn’t we often do crazy, insane things or use unknown substances at the direction of others? Then why do we often find it so hard to take direction in recovery, especially when the direction is designed to help us grow? And when we used, didn’t we often, in desperation, turn to our Higher Power, saying, “Please, just get me out of this one!” Then why do we find it so hard to ask for God’s help in our recovery?
I bet some others don't though....
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Doug, you are right, some dont like that part. I have a woman I sponsor that has a hard time with that part. IMO it comes down to acceptance. We have to accept that we went to any lengths to get and use, then the rest comes easy.

I spoke at a meeting the other day and I talked about honesty. I said 'if you think you were not dishonest when you were using, work the steps and you will find out the truth'. A woman with about 90 days came up to me after the meeting and told me that she was an honest addict, she never lied or stole things, that she even told the police the truth when she was arrested, that is why she is in drug court. I suspect she has not worked the steps yet LOL.

IMO the 'any lengths' part also includes being open minded to accept that sometimes I do not have a clue what I am talking about LMAO!!!!! And even more, that I can always learn something, there is a lesson in everything.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

"We do not have to understand this program for it to work. All we have to do is follow direction." ~ Basic Text, page 88

Following direction is a hard thing for many of us, and I truly believe that going to any length fall under following direction. The problem with a lot of us is that we want all the benefits of recovery without doing much of the work. It just amazes me at how quickly many of us become closed to things once we get clean. It also says in the BT that recovery will require us to do some things we don't want to do.