Notices

Wanting to heal

Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to heal

I am new to this in both recovery and forum. I found all of your positive feedback extremely uplifting and knew I had to try this for myself. I am a mother of two young boys and have been addicted to vicodin for 3 + years. I have always been scared of quitting because I am not sure how I will be without the pills. Will I still be able to laugh, have fun, etc.....???? I just need some feedback that this will be the beginning of a whole new life for me and my family. Will I really feel better off of the pills?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

You will feel better to not be imprisoned to the bondage of addiction. It will probably be scary/uncomfortable at first, but you definitely will get so much more out of life later--and yes, you will learn how to laugh and feel emotions again. Change is scary for any addict...but you no longer have to go through this alone. There are plenty of people here who can offer support. All you have to do is ask. Welcome!:ghug3
Old 05-01-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you kindly. I guess it is just the unknown. I am sure my friends and family see a difference in me. I no longer want to leave my house or hang out with my friends. We just moved to a different state and I do not have a good support system here. People at work ask me to do things but I always seem to find an excuse. I fret that my family would be disappointed in me as I am dissapointed in myself. I have let things go as it just seems easier to deal with after I have taken a pill. I know this is not normal. I see so many other people having fun and sometimes wonder if they take vicodin as well. Hoping to feel free of this burden.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Fear of the "unknown" was a biggie for me (at first). But staying in that lifestyle day after day...I just needed/wanted somthing more out of life. I was scared but willing to take measures to "just see" how things were being sober. I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and reached out for help. I found friends in recovery--particularly the NA fellowship and here at SR online community who helped me walk through the rough/scary times.....always there when I asked/needed help. Again, welcome! Glad you are here! Hang around awhile! :ghug2
Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Welcome Dylfrog!!

Early recovery can be a very uncomfortable and scary time for any addict, but please understand that with growth and change, there's always periods of discomfort and fear. Also know that each of us, who have come to experience the freedom and joy of being in recovery, have gone through it... and so can you!! Recovery is possible and we're here to help. Without NA and the 12 steps, I wouldn't be here. I'll offer the same suggestions that were given to me as a newcomer:

90 meeting in 90 days
Join a NA home group
Get a NA Basic Text and read it
Get a sponsor
Work the steps
Get involved in service
Keep coming back &
Don't use no matter what.

Be blessed.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you GarryW! I am currently looking for NA groups in my town. I am grateful to have found this site as now I do not feel so alone. People here really do look out for each other. Your suggestions are extremely helpful as I face this long journey. Thanks for the support!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Dylfrog,

Heck yeah you will feel a million times better! Today is day 102 for me off vicodin and I feel WONDERFUL! my husband even told me i am nicer. not only that but my house is organized and clean w/out the drugs (not perfect) and my cooking has increased AND GET THIS, I am even keeping up on laundry! (I hate laundry btw)

You really need to do what has been suggested above. When i was still using back on Jan. 17th I saw a gal Tanyapac get her year. I asked her how she did it and what she did and she said she:

Went to NA meetings
Found a sponsor
Started writing (working the steps) NA has a cool workbook i am in. Tonight I started sharing step one w/ my sponsor.

You can do this. get some women's phone numbers.

Yes, you will feel like crap at first and have cravings but you can do this! for you and your boys!

(I have 2 boys too) a 19 yr old and a precious 5 yr old.

blessings and welcome! Sheila
Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dylfrog,

I promise... Every single person who is in recovery was a newcomer at one time or another, and we know how you feel. The anxiety and fear of attending your first meeting, of not using, of living without the drugs... You will find people at meetings who know exactly what you are going through. You are not alone, and you never have to be again!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dylfrog,

It will be tough, but to answer your question:

You will laugh so hard your stomach will hurt the next morning
You will have so much fun, you'll look at your previous life in disbelief
And you will be so grateful to be drug free it will bring tears to your eyes

Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good Morning!!!!
Day One without vicodin. I am working a 12 hour shift today which normally runs about 14 hours. Ugh! Thanks for the excellant feedback. It makes me feel stronger already. Pray for me please!!!! I will post when my shift is over.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am praying for you.

You can do this!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Praying for you too! Sheila
Old 05-02-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I made it through a 13 hour shift.......barely!!!! That was extremely trying but I was glad that I was at work to keep my mind off of it. Not only was it a long day but I had that Brittney Spears song "Oops I did it again" running through my head as well for some reason!!! Ugh!!! I just know that finding this site has helped me immensely. Just knowing you guys have struggled and came through is inspiration enough for me. I will keep plugging away. Bless You For All Your Thoughts And Prayers!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

like was said by others you CAN do this..is it easy..no...is it worth it absolutly. I thank God for my new way of life for the true freinds i have made in the NA fellowship. Im so glad you found your way here, we need you as much as you need us...We do recover!!!:ghug3