Notices

Night and Day

Old 04-29-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Night and Day

I am on my journey towards Liberty from alcohol.

The physical withdrawal I am experiencing today has been taking the familiar form of fatigue, but without the diarrhea, nausea, and anxiety I had after a night of drinking. It’s nice and I like it. I hope I feel this way tomorrow.

But there is another withdrawal symptom I am experiencing now which is psychological, not physical and that is fear. I fear sunshine, weekends, evenings on the porch, friends stopping by, campfires… How can I ever enjoy these activities without my “old friend“? It just doesn’t seem possible!

Does this pass? Lord, I pray that this passes. In my heart I believe it must and I suspect I have to put myself in these situations when I am ready. Not yet~

Summer is coming and I want to move to a place where it is dark and cold.

I am on my journey towards Liberty from alcohol and towards a day in the sun.

Thanks, SR Friends. You inspire me. I look forward to my visits here and I enjoy your company more than you know.

Liberty~
Old 04-29-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is something I'm not sure about either. Going out anywhere used to involve drinking for me. Even taking the kids to a theme-park. So I'm not sure about my first weekend either. I guess just go along and see what happens.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was a little hesitant at first, but I discovered that its really fun to do all those things sober. Thinking back that may not have been true in the first month or so....Do you have a support group where you meet people who live near you? Tag along with them if you do. That will help get use to things.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Liberty,

I think you'll get used to it. It does take some adjustments and some changes in routines, but it's worth it.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I found the more I practice recovery the better the easer it to do the things that used to trigger me.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hey Liberty,

Glad you're here and that you've made the decision you've made. I've had a lot of support and education during my recovery. I have 3 months this week. Everyone who's been helping me has reassured me that it gets better and the fear slowly erodes. I've been in a treatment program, now I'm in aftercare and I go to 2 AA mtgs and have a sponsor. And I've done a lot of reading on the whole subject. If you really change your life and make a shift to become sober in a deep way (not just stop drinking, but shift your perspective) you definately get reprieve.

Again, glad you're here.

- MLE
Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Thanks, All. I appreciate the fellowship and words of encouragement.

This site is so good for me!

I thank God I found you All. I thank Him for leading me right to you.