Notices

Relationship of NA/AA to Alano Clubs

Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relationship of NA/AA to Alano Clubs

The majority of NA meetings in my area are held at an Alano Club. They are clean facilities with a snack bar, lounge, ample parking, smoking porch, restrooms, etc. We have our own NA room which we rent from the Club. There is also an Alanon room, and large meeting room for events. The Club depends on rent as well as dues from members (the dues are like a donation, $10/month). An Alano Club board member shared with me that they were short of adequate revenue needed to keep the doors opens, so could we spread the message to become a member of the Club.

I shared this at a meeting, that the Alano Club needs support, and was basically upbraided by a senior member (someone with 10+ years). I was told that the Club is "AA" and that NA is not associated. That NA does not support the Club, because, again, it is "AA."

Any insights as to this? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

I can see that happening, not saying I agree cause I am one of those that does not get my feathers in a ruffle is someone says AA/NA in the same sentence LOL. But as I said, I can see that happening. Maybe next time you can share that 'the facility' where your NA meetings are held needs support, in a more general way. Make sense.

Ya know, as I said I dont get upset with the 2 fellowships are mentioned together. But I know people that get upset if the word 'sober' is used in an NA meeting.

WachChai - as I said maybe just address it in a more general way next time. Or share privately with people. The response that you got, is not a surprise to me. And for me, I find that sad. But just my 4 cents LOL

One more thing....senior member, IMO there is no such thing. We all just have today clean. Time does not compare to living a spiritual, open, honest and loving life.

And good for you for being concerned.

I will duck now as I get a BB or basic text thrown at me LMAO!!!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I'm not surprised either. It's a Tradition thing. You see...if the club isn't owned by NA, to announce that it needs support in a meeting is a direct endorsement of an outside organization. I agree with Paulie, you can spread the word before or after the meeting, but not during.

There's a "club" here in my hometown that was exclusively an AA club for many, many years. So much so that it's name reflected it - it was called "Bill & Bob's." There was a huge AA symbol on the outside and the whole nine yards. The owners were AA members and no other organization was allowed to use the facility.

About 3 years ago, the owners decided to sell the place, and the local AA fellowship decided to step back from supporting it. Needless to say, that meant less revenue. The new owners took down the AA symbol and put up a sign of it's new name "Recovery Inc." and allows any fellowship to rent it's rooms. Now NA has several meetings held in the facility during the week, but there are still some members who refuse to support anything held there because of their previous association with AA. On the same note, there's a facility in the inner city that has been exclusivey NA for years and AA refuses to hold events there, regardless of the fact that NA doesn't own the place.

I think a lot of it is hogwash. But I also believe it is important to understand Tradition 6.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for feedback!

OK, that makes a lot of sense.

... To respect tradition 6. So I could announce this under "non-NA related announcements, right?" or would that still upset some people, to announce at all in a meeting? By putting it under non-NA announcements, it's clear that it is not something NA endorses, officially.

I'm of the "can't we all just get along" camp. We don't need to be like factions in the communist party...
Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

WanChai73,

I agree that we should all get along, but even while "getting along" there's always going to be boundaries established, maintained and respected. While NA, AA, and other 12 step fellowships enjoy a relationship of cooperation and mutual admiration, each has it's own primary purpose and singleness of purpose.

I, personally, would think it's okay to mention if your group allows announcements of non-NA events or concerns. In my area, we don't announce anything that isn't NA related in our meetings. We have enough stuff going on within the fellowship that needs our support (area, region and world).

Have you read Tradition 6 or 7? What does your sponsor think about this?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The 6th tradition says 'the use of literature speakers and announcements from other fellowships in our meetings constitutes an implied endorcement of an outside enterprise.

also the 6th tradition describes outside enterprises as "any agency, business venture, religion, society, organization, related activity or other fellowship."

in other words, clubhouse fits into the category of outside enterprise

so for a group to announce or take announcements from the floor from outside enterprises constitutes and implied endorsement of whatever they're announcing, or in other words, compromising the 6th tradition.

at least thats my understanding.
in other words - we don't have non na announcements in our meetings