Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

AA or another support group/program specific to mental health?

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all...

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety a few years ago. I didn't do well on medication and didn't like how it made me feel, so I discontinued that. I had problems with self-medication in the form of drinking. I wouldn't necessarily categorize my drinking as "heavy", but it wasn't normal, at least for me, and I stopped because I was sick and tired of it.

A couple weeks ago, I slipped and drank alcohol. After not drinking for 3 years, I had no idea what I could handle (and probably didn't care, truthfully).

I have been sober for 2 wks. now, but I'm bothered by anxiety and the emotions that go along with it. This makes me wish I could drink, but I know it's not good for me. I think I can stay away from alcohol, but I am tired of being controlled by my emotions and the anxiety/depression that I've suffered from for so many years. It's starting to take a real toll on my marriage and my life. I've committed myself to trying hard to get myself back on track and stop taking things out on my husband verbally.

I need help in one form or another. Therapy always helped me before, much more than medication. Unfortunately, finances don't allow me to go to therapy right now (I have very crappy insurance with a super high deductible). I'm faced with AA (or something simliiar) or some other group. Is anyone else in this boat? I also kicked an eating disorder a few years back (this was right before I started drinking...see a pattern? I do) and have suffered sexual abuse (2 rapes and I wonder how much they play into the person I've become). I don't know what's the best course of action to take.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, wellgirl,
And welcome to the MH forum of SR!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your insurance. The insurance problem in this country is such a big problem! But, is it possible for you to get into a group therapy situation? Cuz a cognitive behavioral therapy might do wonders for you, based on what you've stated.

I'm glad you recognize that drinking is a dead end street. AA may or may not be helpful. It's not therapy, but a spiritual program of self help to quit drinking. Only you can decide if it is right for you or not.

Other things that can help with your anxiety is to care for yourself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. That means to eat right, exercise; learn new things; practice positive affirmation and do little things for yourself that are good for you; and reconnect with your Higher Power. This is a tall order, I know. Start doing one thing a day, then build up so that each day you're doing some of each category. When I do so, I feel much better.

I hope this helps. And I hope to see you here often as we both grow in our recovery.

Shalom!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Historyteach...I really do appreciate the reply. I have been trying to concentrate on the spiritual side of myself. I'm tired of complaining to my husband and acting irrationally and just want some balance in my life. If AA, support groups, meditation, etc. can help, I'm gonna do it. I'm tired of being sick, of being a bummer and being a burden.

I agree the insurance/healthcare situation is out of hand. I had really good insurance with my old job, but in order to keep that, I would have had to stay in a situation where I couldn't cope. I left the job with good benefits, but now my insurance is not great. EEEEK.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Sorry that you are faced with this struggle. Teach said it best and I can't think of anything I could add. I just wanted to say I am thinking of you and do hope you find a solution that works for you.

One thing I can add is that many times the YWCA offers sliding scale therapy/counseling for sexual abuse, depression, etc... I went for about a year to work on my sexual abuse issues and I think it cost me like $10 per session. It might be well worth checking into.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Yes...there are often community-based counseling programs for free or really cheap. I know in my community there are also free group meetings for depression and bipolar. You'll probably just have to do some digging and asking around.

I know that with the anxiety....relaxation excersizes and self-hypnosis excersises really work for me. There are also a lot of natural based things you can do to help with the depression. I'm not sure why, but I remember that when I was in college and was going to the tanning salon regularly...it helped my depression. So that is something i plan to start doing again soon and see if it was just a fluke/coincidence or if it really has some benefits to it. I think it really has some benefits to it b/c of things I've read before about sunlight and all that being good for depression (and the tanning bulbs are a form of sunlight right?**

My suggestion is always to go see a psychologist and have a full mental-health evaluation done. I was bipolar, with major depression, and was well into my second major episode before I ever figured that out. And my aunt went her entire life without ever knowing she was bipolar (she died about 6 years ago from a prescription drug overdose....she'd been addicted for years). And what people don't know is that 80+ percent of bipolars are addicted to something. So walk into an AA meeting and I'd bet at least 1/2 the members at the meeting have a mental illness that they have NO clue about. Anyway...just my 2-educated-cents.

Welcome to SR and i wish you all the best in all your recovery efforts.

Hugs,
Jenna
Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to the mental health forum!

I was in your shoes before. I hated the way the meds made me feel and I just decided to "self medicate" myself. I was taking opiates and benzos out of control and ended up in the psych unit at the local hospital where I was living at the time. I almost killed myself.

I got back on meds and balanced out.
How are you doing today?

Keep posting with us !
Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

well, from an AA point of view, i don't know how much help you'll get from a bunch of recovering drunks. i imagine it'll be kind of hard to relate to a room full of people talking about how their work with the program and their higher powers helped them get and stay sober, if you're not an alcoholic. not to mention, if you don't believe you're an alcoholic and you're sitting in a closed discussion, that's not really cool for the other AAers.

that's not to say don't check it out if you DO think you have a drinking problem, because it'll rock your teenage party world if you really give it a shot. i've seen people come in who couldn't make eye contact turn into these beaming, confident kids who can share where they're at and help others, etc.

now, coming from working at a mental health hospital (which is what i do) - i like what historyteach had to say, and nandm. i work at a facility that accepts residents of our county that don't have insurance on a sliding scale fee, depending on income and number of dependents. we are always ALWAYS busy, but we're able to provide a heckuva service to those who can't afford traditional private practice. i'd check with your county mental health, and see if they have a sliding scale program. if they don't, they might be able to give you some resources to try.

good luck - i hope you get to feeling better.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm actually not sure if I ever was an alcoholic or not. I've always heard that problem drinker/binge drinker/alcoholic could probably be used interchangeably. I guess I'd categorize myself as a binge drinker when I did drink. Then I quit and my last binge was a lot for my system. It scares me that I could be off of alcohol for so long and then slip right back into my old ways so easily.

That being said, I think when I kick an addiction/problem, I end up substituting another one for it. I am hoping to be able to use meditation/chanting and support groups to remedy these problems. If not, I'll go back into therapy. I just know a lot of people have recommended AA to me, since my resulting problem was alcohol use.

I basically binged and then quit again. It's been over 2 wks since I last drank, but I still think about drinking and wonder if I can "moderate" (risky business, I know). The whole incident reminded me of high school and college days when you wake up with a hangover and say, "I'm never drinking again", then go out the following weekend. It's exactly like that. That mentality makes me wonder if I have a problem. Plus, I went out of my way to hide the fact that I was drinking. I'd never get away with it at home, so I drank at a friend's house out of town.