Notices

Honesty and Trust with AA's hard for me

Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honesty and Trust with AA's hard for me

My name is cal and I am an alcoholic, I have been going to aa for 14 years and have had 6 years and over two years twice and you know the pattern, I look back and know that i should have never taken that first drink after 6 years because the concequences are too difficult to deal with. I have come to terms with the fact that starting over is inevitable but i am not feeling the strength anymore and feel that this is the only avenue left, this is my first time posting on the net and i would welcome some feedback, online recovery is worth the shot,

Cal
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Hi honestyproblem. Welcome to SR. I'm just a newbie to all of this too. This forum has been very helpful to me. Have a look at the alcoholism sig. Lots of good stuff there. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here. Happy to meet you.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you
Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

You're welcome.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR

You might find both our alcoholism and 12 step alcoholism forums useful. Please feel free to check them out. Looking forward to seeing more of you.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Honesty welcome to SR.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

cal, just let me add that I think you will find a boost and some strength here. You had a lot of clean time and I dont see any reason you cant do it again
Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome to SR Cal.

SR it a great place for info and support... don't think its the only avenue (online recovery). I'd say many here would agree SR is great but have coupled it with other means and methods of recovery support.

my personal experience started when seeing a domestic violence(DV) counsellor nothing to do with drugs or alcohol... after a few sessions i mentioned i had a drinking problem, she gave me the local AA meeting list.
i talked to my DR about my mounting depression, alcohol abuse and my desire to stop drinking with no avail using my own methods. got info and options and told to make another appt. to commence a home detox.

it took a wk of sitting here at SR contemplating alcoholism and recovery, getting info educating myself and finding support online.
I walked into an AA meeting for the first time since i was police ordered Detox/AA @age16. i went to another meeting before i returned to the Dr n started home detox.

i've not had a drink in 26days....it's seems to be on autopilot, but for me to be able to manage this...

*i've had support from my Dr, who has referred me to a more suitable counsellor (as i expressed DV counselling was not helful with my issues).

*commenced councelling for personal issues (not related to a drug/alcohol service but funny enuff my counsellor is 11yrs sober, has an understanding of what i'm going thru and knowlegde of AA and recovery programs.)

*AA is my current choice of recovery program, only recently gaining a sponsor. this support is similar to that found here at SR, it helps me understand myself better, educates me and gives me daily support to continue my sobriety.

*SR is always there when i need it... when i'm not going to meetings or when struggling with myself/sobriety. SR is great and i can't sing its praises any harder than somone who has been on this site for yrs.

this is my personal opinion, that while SR and online recovery has been an intergral part of my support system that it is only that - a part....
for u to consider, that using online recovery as sole means of support is not the only option... umm what i'm trying to get at is....... while u feel u don't have strength... use all means possible of support... its here at SR to begin and continue with but long term u will need more than just this...

Cal, i don't know what u've been thru or tried... i'm not too sure where ur @ with AA... after 14yrs and ur experiences.
all i can offer is my support and that u talk to ur doctor about ur history of recovery and possible options available to u at this time.

Best Wishes:ghug
Old 04-23-2008, 01:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you here with us....

Yes...SR is a vital part of my AA committment.
I often take the sharing here back to my meetings.

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 04-23-2008, 03:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the forum Cal. You've been sober before and you can do it again, one day at a time!:ghug
Old 04-23-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cal!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Cal, I for one got sober via AA and stay sober via AA.

I love SR, it is a great supplememnt to AA, but if God told me I had to choose one or the other to stay sober I would stick with what I know works for me..... AA.

Cal are you still drinking?

You know what worked for you before, you know it will work again....... but only if you work it and keep on working it.

Sit down and honestly look over your program you were working when you went out:

Were you going to meetings?
Were you maintaining your spiritual condition?
Were you doing service work?
Were you sponsoring newcomers?
Were you praying daily?
Were you talking to your sponsor?