Language of Letting Go - April 22 - Coping With Stress

Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - April 22 - Coping With Stress

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Coping With Stress

Inevitably, there are times of stress in our lives, no matter how long we've been in recovery.

Sometimes, the stress is outside or around us. We're feeling balanced, but our circumstances are stressful. Sometimes, the stress is within; we feel out of balance.

When the stress is external and internal, we experience our most difficult times.

During stressful times, we can rely more heavily on our support systems. Our friends and groups can help us feel more balanced and peaceful in spite of our stressful conditions.

Affirming that the events taking place are a temporarily uncomfortable part of a good, solid plan can help. We can assure ourselves that we will get through. We won't be destroyed. We won't crumple or go under.

It helps to go back to the basics to focus on detachment, dealing with feelings, and taking life one day at a time.

Our most important focus during times of stress is taking care of ourselves. We are better able to cope with the most irregular circumstances; we are better able to be there for others, if we're caring for ourselves. We can ask ourselves regularly: What do we need to do to take care of ourselves? What might help us feel better or more comfortable?

Self-care may not come as easily during times of stress. Self-neglect may feel more comfortable. But taking care of us always works.

Today, I will remember that there is no situation that can't be benefited by taking care of myself.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

During stressful times, we can rely more heavily on our support systems. Our friends and groups can help us feel more balanced and peaceful in spite of our stressful conditions.
That's why this is a "we" program, one codie helping another is what it is all about. When I keep my stress and feelings tucked neatly inside, they begin to fester and grow.

But when I share them, when I detach with love and take care of myself and my recovery, that's when I know I will make it through even the darkest day.

Hugs
Old 04-22-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Self-care may not come as easily during times of stress. Self-neglect may feel more comfortable. But taking care of us always works.
Wow, I thought that was just me. Self care can be a real struggle for me when things start getting out of control...eating right (well just eating when stressed is tough, forget the healthy part) getting sleep, making sure I don't isolate. It can be more comfortable in the short run to not exercise self care, but I've learned in recovery that it hurts me in the long run. Making room for a walk is one of the best ways I can remember to take care of me when things around me and inside me are moving out of control. I find walking so healing and it helps me recenter...gets the focus back where it should be.