Notices

This is probably far fetched...

Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

This is probably far fetched...

But can anyone answer this question for me? I was wondering if it is possible to have lingering vitamin deficiencies from alcohol even months to years after quitting drinking.

This is from a previous thread I made here:
Ok...here's the deal...I'm a 20 year old female and have been battling the monster called alcoholism for about 3 years now. I've been in treatment three times. The last time was a little over a year ago. I did the AA thing then decided that I just was not ready to quit. I did cut back considerably but of course it was still a problem. Well about 3 months ago I had a 2 month drinking binge. The worst one I've EVER had but not the longest. In the first month I was getting black out drunk sometimes 2 or 3 nights in a row but mostly every other night. During the second month I had finally tapered down to doing it on the weekends until I decided I had to stop. (Note everything I'm about to tell you has NEVER happened to me before.) Well a week after my last drunken excursion the fatigue hit and hit hard. I put on about 10-15 pounds, the hair on my head as well as pubic hair started shedding, I lost some eyebrows as well, I had constipation, dry skin, I missed an entire period for the first time in my life, extremely moody and depressed. The works. Well, I was hoping that most of these symptoms would go away and they haven't. Still 3 months later I'm constipated, skin is very dry, I still get tired easily, my eyebrows are still thin, my nails are brittle and the hair on my head still seems to be shedding. But I've lost way more hair from "down there" than anywhere else. I'm down to less than half what I used to have. I also cannot lose weight. Some other things I've noticed is I don't get hungry anymore (my stomach never growls) and I don't sweat near as much as I used to ( I used to have hyperhidrosis). I also can't tolerate stimulants. I'm on dexedrine for adhd but now if I take it, when it runs out of my system I totally crash. I get extremely ill and my heart rate gets extreeeemely low. I've seen a doctor about this and had my thyroid checked and was also checked for vitamin deficiency but everything came back fine. Can ANYONE tell me what has happened to me and if it will ever go away?! I'm sick and tired of being so sick and tired because of this. Do you think it was the binge itself that did this or the withdrawals? Or both? Any insight is much appreciated. I'm losing all hope of this ever going away.
2 years later...I'm still sick. And some of my symptoms have gotten worse. I'll be blunt, I can no longer have sex now because of this mystery illness....They just recently found that I have a vitamin d deficiency, but even the prescription strength supplements I've been given have done little to help. Sure, my fatigue is better, but I still can't exercise. I get so tired and sick after exertion. I do know that as a result of the drinking I've become insulin resistant, and the fact that I can't exercise means that my insulin resistance will get worse and I'll eventually become diabetic.

I'm 22 years old. The alcohol did something to rape me of my youth and I'm so desperate to get it back. Is it possible that I've had other vitamin deficiencies this entire time that I haven't corrected on my own??? I know I said that I was tested for vitamin deficiencies, but I just recently found out that they didn't test me for everything. I think they only tested my b12 and calcium. Thats it.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Have you told your dr that you are still tired and fatigued even with the vitamin D increase? Hopefully more tests can be done to find out the reason for your medical problems. I think that persistence with questions for your dr is the thing to do.

I wish you well.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

I've been persisting for over 2 years now. My entire life has been consumed by school...and dr's appointments. I've seen an endocrinologist, rheumatologist and several internal medicine doctors. I'm also in my gynecologists office at LEAST once a month for persistent, chronic infections. This possible vitamin deficiency theory is my last hope. I can't think of anything else. My next line of defense is saving up money and seeing the best doctor in the US...whoever that may be.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

It must be so frustrating.

I hope you keep on searching for the answer.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What about consulting with some of the experts on alcoholism, not just regular MDs, but someone who's earned their doctorate in alcoholism and addictions. Such as Talbott Recovery Campus in Georgia. Their website is talbottcampus.com and their number is 1-800-445-4232 They deal with alcoholics and addicts and may understand if your problem is alcohol related or something else. They may also have knowledge of the specific health problems faced by recovering and active alcoholics and addicts. I heard the director Dr Paul Earley) give a talk about alcoholism and addiction once and he was very good.

I'd look them up and ask your questions. If they can't help you, maybe they know of someone who can. BEst of luck to you.:ghug
Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

I really, really appreciate this. That seems very helpful. But I'm going to keep the mindset that I probably won't be getting much from it. Only because after two years of falling from high hopes I've learned to keep it pretty low.

Anyone else have any answers?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Queen of Leesburg

You poor thing. I'm personally going through some "as of yet undiagnosed medical stuff" myself and can get frustrating/depressing. Did they check your thyroid profile? Have you been to endocrinologist because it sounds like you need to see one honey. I hope you find the answer...and soon.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I don't have any advice but I sure would like to know if you learn anything.

wow.

that weas like looking in a mirror. and I'm...

*ahem*

at least twice your age.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

some of the symptoms sound like liver funtion problems , I have hep C and tho my liver is so far holding its own , I still have similar symtoms . However I would be pretty surprized if your doctor hadn't thought of this , (you were clear with your doc about your alcholism right?)
Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

goodpoint mad -

I"m saving up for a FULL cbc - with a FULL panel for liver, and for t3 & t4 thyroid.

but reading your thread, eidolon ... shows me I"m NOT making this up.

and I'm at two years, too.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This may be a long shot and you might have already done it. But webmd has a sympton checker and alot of other useful info. It might at least give you more questions to ask your DR's. Hope this helps.
Linda
Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I've been persisting for over 2 years now. My entire life has been consumed by school...and dr's appointments. I've seen an endocrinologist, rheumatologist and several internal medicine doctors. I'm also in my gynecologists office at LEAST once a month for persistent, chronic infections. This possible vitamin deficiency theory is my last hope. I can't think of anything else. My next line of defense is saving up money and seeing the best doctor in the US...whoever that may be.
What have the doctor's said or suggested could be the cause of your ailments? I assume they've been ruling certain things out, which should be comforting and encouraging. Is it possible you may be depressed?

If your fatigue is better perhaps you can exercise some. Not to the point of sickness but some has to better than none. Excercise is generally an energy booster.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Okay here is the one thing I know about vitamin d deficiency, the human body can not absorb vitamin d without sunlight!! Do you stay inside away from the sun a lot?

Talk to your doctor about this!!!

And as mad asked, have you been totally honest with your doctors about your alcoholism?

Many times doctors will not run certain tests on younger people because they automatically eleminate certain things due to ones age. Alcohol can and does do some real damage to all of our organs and if a doctor does not know we are alcoholics, they will not run certain test they would if they did know.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Do you think....maybe....does the possibility exsist......that your medical problems have to do with emotional stuff?
I know for me, that the longer I refuse to deal with my crud (stuff from the past, stuffed feelings, denial) the more chances I have of dealing with medical problems.
I *had* clinical depression. Odd...I dont need meds anymore.
I *had* high blood pressure. Strange...its returned to normal.

For me anyhow...if I stuff and refuse to deal with things....my body will say, "Thats what you think".

Just a thought.:ghug
Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

YIKES. I'm no M.D. but it sounds like you have a lot of symptoms of chronic dehydration... but only a doctor can really address that possibility. Still wouldn't hurt to google them if you haven't already. I hope that your health improves as you continue to abstain. Young bodies are generally pretty resilient and can bounce back from all kinds of abuse so you have time on your side. Be gentle with yourself and try to keep a positive outlook.

Last edited by fallingdown; 04-24-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Here are 13 symptoms of chronic dehydration courtesy of Healthy & Green Living:

1. Fatigue, Energy Loss: Dehydration of the tissues causes enzymatic activity to slow down.

2. Constipation: When chewed food enters the colon, it contains too much liquid to allow stools to form properly, and the wall of the colon reduces it. In chronic dehydration, the colon takes too much water to give to other parts of the body.

3. Digestive Disorders: In chronic dehydration, the secretion of digestive juices are less.

4. High and Low Blood Pressure: The body’s blood volume is not enough to completely fill the entire set of arteries, veins, and capillaries.

5. Gastritis, Stomach Ulcers: To protect its mucous membranes from being destroyed by the acidic digestive fluid it produces, the stomach secretes a layer of mucus.

6. Respiratory Troubles: The mucous membranes of the respiratory region are slightly moist to protect the respiratory tract from substances that might be present in inhaled air.

7. Acid-Alkaline Imbalance: Dehydration activates an enzymatic slowdown producing acidification.

8. Excess Weight and Obesity: We may overeat because we crave foods rich in water. Thirst is often confused with hunger.

9. Eczema: Your body needs enough moisture to sweat 20 to 24 ounces of water, the amount necessary to dilute toxins so they do not irritate the skin.

10. Cholesterol: When dehydration causes too much liquid to be removed from inside the cells, the body tries to stop this loss by producing more cholesterol.

11. Cystitis, Urinary Infections: If toxins contained in urine are insufficiently diluted, they attack the urinary mucous membranes.

12. Rheumatism: Dehydration abnormally increases the concentration of toxins in the blood and cellular fluids, and the pains increase in proportion to the concentration of the toxins.

13. Premature Aging: The body of a newborn child is composed of 80 percent liquid, but this percentage declines to no more than 70 percent in an adult and continues to decline with age.