Notices

scruffy the cat day 1

Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scruffy the cat day 1

HI all , I'm new to this . I just took my first antabuse pill and i guess i'm on my way. I am seriously scared. I used to know what i was going to do each night , now i have no idea.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya scruffy!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scruffycat,

Welcome!

I didn't take antabuse, but I sure remember the feeling of 'what am I going to do each night'? I couldn't imagine getting through an evening with wine. My husband was living two hours away for his work and just came home on weekends. My kids were teenagers and completely occupied. It was so scary. The thing is, the fear was not realistic. Of course, there were things to do and I was surprised how quickly I got back to doing things that I used to enjoy.

Watch a good movie, go for a walk, call a friend, volunteer, take a course, the list is endless. Just follow your heart.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm quite new to this also. I'm having trouble dealing with the feelings I used to keep "comfortably numb" with wine. Now I'm freaking out that I have all these feelings. It's scary.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feeling. Its all new to me also. I was so use to beingdumb and numb I find myself completely incapable of dealing with even the smallest of problems. The good news is that once I got clean the problems became less and dont hang around as long cause instead of ignoring them till they snowball out of control and I end up in as much trouble as possible I try to address them right away (most of the time).

Id like to suggest something that helped me more than any counseling, program, or rehab. All those help also and are necessary, but volunteering, man that has changed the way I think and act. There is something about sefless service to help others that cHANGES EVERYTHING or at least it did for me. I highly suggest that anyone not knowing what to do with thier new found free time give it a try. Giving instead of taking. Helping instead of being helped good medicine for the soul!~!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Welcome Scuffy. I'm new to. I plan on going for a walk after dinner this evening. I'm sure there's lots to see considering I kept myself house bound to drink after work for so long. Just keeping it simple to start out with.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hiya scruffy, welcome to SR!

It's good to have a plan of action for your recovery. The antabuse is a great start, so what will you do next?

Keep reading, posting, and stick around. There's much to be learned here.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Good luck with your recovery. One thing I know as of this time around, was that I am willing to go to any length to achieve and maintain my sobriety.

Antabuse is some dangerous stuff, but I thought it would probably work for me, hell the possibility of dieing from that medication is enough to scare me not to drink. Even tho I can die without the crappin pill when I drink because I do stupid crap or stupid crap finds me.

I hope to do some volunteering myself, and maybe even some AA work, but I need to get my full license first.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Wink

. . I know that feeling I'm 3 months clean and I don't know where to star at times, or where to end, .
Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Scruffy,
great support and advice for you here.