Notices

Day 3 Cravings

Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 Cravings

Just need to sound off a little. I have had an attack of baddish cravings today, and this evening almost talked myself into going out and getting blasted.

It is 72 hours since I had a drink, and I think I remember that ther third evening was the worst when I tried this before. Perhaps it is something to do with alcohol leaving the body. Actually, when I think about it I am not craving the taste of wine or beer, but how it makes me feel - so I need to work on that! It has been a busy and difficult day, and something in my brain tells me I need to feel drunk in order to relax and escape it for a couple of hours.

Best have a nice hot shower. Any advice on early cravings much appreciated!

Great Escape
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excersise (walking) followed by a nice hot shower, and chocolate ! (Or sweets)
Old 04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Early day cravings can be gutted out. If it were easy, this place wouldn't exist. The mind is the great enemy, however. It, not the physical cravings causes most of us to go back.

At near 7 weeks, I feel great. Wonderful. But I've been there before. And failed. I relapsed due to insane thinking. Thinking that years of sobriety somehow "protected" me. First it was just enjoying a new relationship. Good food, good wine, good ... It worked. For a while. Within a year, old habits emerged almost exactly as they were. I know more now than I did then, apparently. My mind can say what it will, but I am not normal. I never will be normal. I can never drink again. It's that simple. I've too much to lose.

Beware the mind, my friend. It will follow a predictable course. As it did with most of us. You are not special. You will be convinced that a drink is in your best interests. I guarantee it. Find one relapsed person here that found it to be in their best interests. Learn it now or learn it later. But you will learn.

Best to you!

warren
Old 04-01-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Warrens is SO right!! It's the mind more than the body that trips us up. Not so much the drink itself, but the feeling it gives. I have the same feelings but I'm fighting them with all my strength. I don't want to throw away my three days cause that means tomorrow would be day one again, and not day four!:ghug:praying
Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Warren - good advice. I have already learnt it once, but need to learn it again - was sober for 6 weeks Jan/Feb and then had the insane thought that it would be OK to drink again. Within 2 weeks I was back to square one. I am terrified of making the same mistake - so thanks for reminding me. As you say, it is a predictable hurdle that we all need to get over. I'm praying that I will. Glad you are doing fine, and thanks for the inspiration as tonight is one of those difficult ones.

Great Escape
Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IO Storm

This last time...I drank (a lot) of water with lemon...mineral water..bubbly stuff.

And green tea...and I played with a Play Station Music machine and actually created some beautiful songs with videos....it helped a lot.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....

I timed my cravings.
They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort.

Soooo....I took action.
Walk around ... brush teeth...drink cold water...a Lifesaver

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished.

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care.

Forward we go...side by side
Old 04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☆ entity

majkial number 3

Have you ever heard the saying: "Everything happens in three"?
It has been my experience that this is actually true. 3 days to create a habit, 3 days to snuff one. 90 days (3 months) to really get to know someone... past present, future.... beginning, middle, end... 3 pops up a lot it seems. Those first 3 days are tough, and you made it.

Walking helps. Well, it has always helped me. There is something very therapeutic about walking. Either alone or with a friend, it really helps.
It's simple, I know, but things seem to kind of work themselves out during a good walk.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for for getting me through yesterday! Hopefully, today will be a little easier - but whatever, I will not drink!

Great Escape
Old 04-02-2008, 01:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

greatescape.... YOU ROCK.. Very good of you NOT to drink... Keep it up. I have a little trick for cravings

Make a small list just 5 entries..... In that list put the 5 worst things that have ever happened when drinking or things that hurt you after you have had yr beers. Keep it in yr wallet and when you have a craving look at it and try to remember what is was like when those things happened

Just as an example here is my list

WHEN I DRINK I

1 will be hungover and not friendly and I will be agressive.
2 will use drugs and feel horribly guilty (cocain)
3 will loose my wife my 3 kids, my real friends and eventually my life
4 will hurt the people who support me
5 will let myself down and throw away my 12 days of being sober

BOOZE and LOOSE
Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

What got me through the early months was daily meetings and talking on the phone daily to other recovering alcoholics. In a nutshell in early sobriety I spent as much time if not more time on my recovery as I did drinking.

The physical withdrawals passed within 4-5 days for me, then began the toughest part for me, dealing with that mental obsession for alcohol, thanks to my HP and the steps that mental obsession has been lifted for me.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have found exactly the opposite of what Vinnie does has worked for me, I used to carry a 3X5 card with my "Gratitude list" on it, when ever I started to have some stinking thinking going on I would pull it out and see everything I was grateful to have due to me being sober and ask myself "Is a drink worth losing all that I am grateful for?"

Just another way to look at it, what works for me may not work for others, what works for Vinnie may work for others....... maybe carry 2 list, maybe 3....... call them "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly"!!! LOL
Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - I like the idea of a good and bad list. Have decided to write these when in bed tonight. As for AA, I have thought about this but am a bit nervous about taking that step. Wouldn't mind chatting on the phone though - can you do that without going to a meeting initially??
Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I talked to a woman from AA in my town without having gone to a meeting. I called the AA local district office from the nearest city and gave them my name and number and a woman called me that evening and we talked for a while. She told me the meetings she went to so when I went to those meetings I would already know someone. That's something you can do. Call you local AA district office and ask them if someone from your area can call you. :ghug
Old 04-02-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I will simply second exactly what least said, in some cases if you want them to they will send 2 people of your gender to come talk with you.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Great Escape!

Well done you on not drinking yesterday. Thanks for posting - it encourages me to keep going too.

I had terrible cravings last night, I was desperate for a cold beer when I got home at around 7.30. It was the usual story - "I'll just go to the corner shop and buy 4 beers, I can't get drunk on 4 beers, and I promise myself I'll be in bed by midnight, honest". Then I started walking around, repeating over and over the first step - "I am powerless over alcohol, I am powerless over alcohol". At times I think I even said it out loud - where I live the walls are quite thin, and I'm sure the neighbours must have heard and thought I had really lost it this time.

As I was repeating it over and over, it brought back to my mind lots of horrible memories - memories of all the times from my past when I was still sitting up drinking wine at 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning, with the birds outside cheerfully starting their dawn chorus and me having to get up at 6 o'clock to go to work. Horrible, horrible. And then I thought to myself: "I think I'll just put the kettle on, and have a nice cheerful cup of tea instead, with buns and things". I'm so glad I didn't drink those beers, really really glad.

Good for you, Great Escape! Let's keep encouraging each other to keep going!

PB

P.S. I'm brand new to AA too. I phoned up AA before going to my first meeting, and the person I spoke to was brilliant. They even advised me on which meetings they thought would not be good for a first-timer (if that's the right expression). The meetings I've ended up going to have been just right for me. I'm so happy to have found AA!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tazman and Least - thanks for your suggestions. I am going to think about this one and maybe try a local call before attending a meeting. I'm not against the idea of a meeting, it's the just the thought of going for the first time!

And thanks of course to Paddington Bear. I'm so glad you didn't have those beers last night - good for you! I was just in a bad mood all evening. But we both survived!! Today doesn't feel so bad, but I don't know what this evening will bring. It would be good to hear more of your AA experience so far, and whether or not they are good for bears of all shapes and sizes!

Great Escape
Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not too far ahead of you, day 10 today. One thing that's helped so far is having something to look forward to just before bed. My cravings are worst right when I get home from work, and just before I go to bed. Now, instead of drinking, I have a Dr. Pepper right when I walk in the door (I have my favorite glass chilling in the freezed and waiting for me each day). After I finally get the kids to bed, and I begin to scheme ways of getting "just one or two beers", without my wife knowing, I make a large bowl of Blue Bunny homemade vanilla ice-cream (with choc. syrup of course). It may be silly, and while I was drinking I didn't even like sweet deserts, but now I really look forward to bowl of ice cream each night. It's very satisfying to reward myself with something for staying sober all day. It may not be the healthiest tip, but it's worked for me so far and I have been going to gym EVERY day since I quit drinking. Exercise helps, A LOT!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AA ....Video from the UK for newcomers

Alcoholics Anonymous UK Newcomers

Quite interesting ...IMO
Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

"HELLO:G-E YOU, WITH OUT YOU KNOWING IT, YOU ARE DOING IT TALKING ABOUT IT, IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF RECOVERY,IS BREAKING THE ICE THATS HARD AND MELTING IT DOWN, JUST KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT, THE DISEASE IS COMPULSIVE,,AND IS A CONSTANT REMINDER OF WHAT YOU WANT, BUT REMEMBER IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT IS WHAT YOU NEED, I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE MOTHER TERESA, BUT G-E THIS DISEASE IS NOT PLAYING, JUST TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME, LOG IN SHARE, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP, TRY TO GO TO MEETINGS I,DON'T KNOW HOW IT IS IN U.K.,BUT WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY!!!!!!!!!!