Notices

Race/Economic status

Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Race/Economic status

Do you guys think race or economic status has something to do with drug usage?

My alcoholic, weed smoking, coke sniffing, pill popping husband thinks that cocaine is considered the "rich man's" drug.

We're black in a lower middle class area. We don't live in the inner city although that's where he usually gets his drugs. And it seems that most people in the inner city do drugs.

All of my white friends don't do ANY type of drug. However, most of my black friends at least smoke marijuana.

Do you think it makes a difference?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no, I live in Sacramento CA and drug usesage is probably worse in lower class enviroments, I mean I can get coc or weed no problem at all. Those 2 drugs are the easiest to find. White people do it, Black people, hispanic, whatever... race plays no part in doing and affording drugs, if they can't afford it they steal stuff from people to sell to get the drugs... doesn't matter drugs are everywhere.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

We are white middle class and live in a sleepy little town and my AH had no problem getting what he needed. Personaly I think where there is a will there is a way.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Yesterdaysnumb View Post
... economic status has something to do with drug usage?

My alcoholic, weed smoking, coke sniffing, pill popping husband thinks that cocaine is considered the "rich man's" drug.
Economic status sure does. Can't use if you don't have the money to get it.
Now as for how people get the money... Even a lawyer I had used in the past is under indictment because he was swindling people out of their houses and their money.
NO matter what the economic status of a person is...drugs will have them use up all they have so they can use up all they buy.
Drug addiction is an equal opportunity employer. It will hire anyone that wants to give it a try.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No. Addiction is not picky, choosy, or discriminate. I knew a guy, (he's dead now) who used to drink rubbing alcohol because it was what he could afford. I knew some others who dumped alot of loot into synthetics and such.

We all went to the same meetings, and talked about the same stuff, even though we all have different background, upbringing, and status.

Addiction doesn't care about any of that stuff.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well if that's the case, why does it seem that drugs typically destroy the inner city/lower class communities. We almost never see crack heads roaming the streets in middle to upper class neighborhoods.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that certain drugs (esp crack and heroin) - cheap drugs - are certainly targeted and marketed to lower-income peoples.
I dont think, though, that it makes one bit of difference if you are a homeless person or a successful professional though, once you try something, to become addicted to it. Drugs go across all gender/racial/socio-economic classes, and do so with amazing indiscrimination.
Saw a great flick on HBO, I think, this weekend, called "American Drug War, the Last White Hope" which went in-depth into reasons/motives of the drug epidemic in our country, and who the key players were in certain drugs coming into the U.S., and who was cooking stuff up here, and how crack and heroin got their rootws into our people.
It also brilliantly analyzed why the system is set up to to keep the "status quo" in regards to who is using, and how many- why the privatized prison-building companies want to keep non-violent drug-offenders behind bars as their stock's potential is based upon how many people are in prison at a given time.
There is another great question to discuss along these lines: should non-violent drug offenders be treated as criminals or patients?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

While I do think that certain drugs may be more popular in certain areas, I do think the use and abuse is across the board.

It may just appear that way in poorer neighborhoods cuz it is more visible. The kids are exposed on the streets and through TV or movies and then they become addicts while their richer peers between soccer practice and baseball games are busting in their parents alcohol cabinets and prescription drug bottles. So while I think you may SEE more drug use going on in poorer neighborhoods cuz it is on the streets, I think the richer areas of kids may just hide it better.

I also think there is a lot of denial going on with richer folks too cuz their drug use can be masked longer. I have a sister who I am convinced is a prescription drug addict, but she has all the comforts of a nice home and stays home etc...so her problem perhaps isn't hitting a hard enough problem like others would elsewhere?

Why was I so compulsive when I have 2 parents who only moderately drink? Why are my sister and I addicts?

Lots of questions.....lots to think about. I don't think the hiding leads to a faster bottom though....I don't know if my parents always were so HELPFUL to me in the cover up and what will the neighbors think mentality....

I am glad I am in recovery though!

Good post...
Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I think it's complicated, and I do believe that addiction is a very democratic condition, striking all economic levels and all races (though there is data that points to some races being more susceptible -- such as Native Americans). It does seem that the drug problem is worse in inner cities, and more specifically, within the poor, black community.

A lot of recovering addicts will share their feelings of being different, ineffective, without hope. A friend of mine who's nearing 20 years as a recovering heroin addict, and who was born to a heroin-addicted woman in Harlem during a very turbulent time in America and raised by his grandmother, talks of pimps and drug dealers as the only role models he had to follow. We like to think that every class of people in America are given the same chances, but having been born into a poor and not-quite-white family of blue-collar alcoholics, I was expected to maintain the status quo; there were no dance lessons, no girl scouts, no sports and no talk of college for me. I was expected to marry some hard-working, blue-collar man who wasn't too full of himself and stay at home to make babies. If he stayed out late or knocked me around a bit, well, that was all part of it.

I'm all about breaking cycles. I won't lay the entire responsibility of breaking those cycles on the shoulders of the poor black communities. Educators, policy makers, activists, philosophers, religious leaders, community leaders, social workers all have a part to play in it, but essentially, and this is my opinion, until we improve both the forest and the trees, until we find some sort of spiritual direction (not religious -- I'm not talking about everybody finding Jesus) and purpose, we'll continue to tear ourselves and others apart and watch as others do the same.

Sorry about the rant -- but you hit a nerve.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peachy1005 View Post
There is another great question to discuss along these lines: should non-violent drug offenders be treated as criminals or patients?
An American tragedy, criminalizing what should be treated as a public health issue.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post

Sorry about the rant -- but you hit a nerve.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Damn, that was the most articulate rant I've read in quite some time!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I pretty much avoid talkin politics, race, religion, and whatnot. I'm not smart enough.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Economic status, sure. Race, no.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tired put it pretty simply. I think an addict is going to use, no matter, race, economic status, whatever. I do, however think what and addict uses is somewhat based on economic status and availability. But certainly not race.

And you mentioned you don't see white middle class suburban people running around high on drugs. Bet my neighbors never thought so, either, lol.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

in my opinion, being an upper middle class whiteboy. i think rich kids do a lot more drugs and a lot more frequent use than poor kids. This may be a stereo type but it seems like all the poor kids having grown up with addict parents and such realize the dangers of drug use and what it will do to them so they steer clear from it. And rich kids like myself make the stupid assumption that we cant get addicted (LOL!!!)

Whenever i was partying it was always with rich white kids, drinking in the benz's and shootin dope in hotels.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think I am going to step out of this thread from now on.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tired, I hope it was nothing I said. If so I apologize.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I misspoke. I should have said, "drugs are more visible and perhaps more prevalent in poor, predominantly black inner city communities."

I am a firm believer that addiction is pretty democratic, with some exceptions (I'm Native American - we lack enzymes that break down alcohol, and therefore are more susceptible to alcoholism). This is a substance abuse forum, not strictly an addiction forum, so if we're talking generically about drug problems and not just addiction problems, then I think it's fair to address the drug problem as one affected by societal and economic conditions.

Thing is, a large part of this country (I realize that not all who contribute here are Americans) likes to point fingers at different races/cultures and place blame, forgetting that we have not exactly evolved into an equal and homogenous society over the last fifty years. We like to think that we have, that all things and all opportunities are available to everyone, and maybe, if we keep prying open doors that have been thus far closed to certain people and encouraging our children to walk through them, that just might happen. I'm just saying that it's not that way today.

I have hope.

I try to keep my sharing here geared towards recovery, and I tend to shy away from subjects that lend themselves to debate -- especially politics -- but I believe this does have to do with recovery, on a larger scale. I won't get into any "I'm right and you're wrong" debate because I think we all have important things to say. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to characterize the drug problem as a black problem.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Do you guys think race or economic status has something to do with drug usage?

We're black in a lower middle class area. We don't live in the inner city although that's where he usually gets his drugs. And it seems that most people in the inner city do drugs.

All of my white friends don't do ANY type of drug. However, most of my black friends at least smoke marijuana.

Do you think it makes a difference?
From my experience: sure maybe the majority of visible drugs end up in innercities... but it 9 out of 10 times they are brought in my "business men" living in more "secluded" areas. I read somewhere, that the government is actually the major force behind alot of the drugs roaming around our streets. I wounder why Afghan poppy cultivation has jumped to record levels recently??
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Opinions aside, there have been many studies on that topic, including:

PREVALENCE OF SUBSTANCE USE AMONG RACIAL AND ETHNIC SUBGROUPS I ethn1.htm

Buzz