Notices

do opiates make you crave sweets?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

do opiates make you crave sweets?

ever since I went from recreational use of oxycontin to my doc prescribed method of weining me off by giving me a certain amount each day, I CRAVE sweets and i snack all the time! And before that I hated sweets and never snacked, whenever i go to my liquor store i live by i end up buying snickers, or the frozen ice cream on a stick... it has to be because of the meds, I'm also on paxil (10mg) but I know its not because of the time period when it all started... anyone?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I don't recall craving sweets coming off of opiates, but I definitely craved them coming off alcohol. As sugar stimulates chemical reactions in the brain similar to certain drugs, it probably is not a bad thing to indulge your cravings -- so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resilient One

I didn't crave sweets during w/d, in fact, my cravings have become almost non-existent save and except for my usual PMS cravings. It was during my abuse of codeine that I craved sweets (snickers bars were my favorite!!!) and almost like clockwork, I began to have these uncontrollable cravings about 45 minutes into my high.

Also, I was also on Paxil a long time ago and do recall a significant increase in my food cravings in general. I was eating a lot more. Same with Zoloft. I packed on 40 pounds in one year on these two meds (was on zoloft first then switched to paxil).
Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyGirlMimi View Post
I didn't crave sweets during w/d, in fact, my cravings have become almost non-existent save and except for my usual PMS cravings. It was during my abuse of codeine that I craved sweets (snickers bars were my favorite!!!) and almost like clockwork, I began to have these uncontrollable cravings about 45 minutes into my high.

Also, I was also on Paxil a long time ago and do recall a significant increase in my food cravings in general. I was eating a lot more. Same with Zoloft. I packed on 40 pounds in one year on these two meds (was on zoloft first then switched to paxil).
hah! thats funny because snickers are my favorite too! I was on paxil for like 2 and half months, then they stuck me on zoloft, god that was horrible, so i switched back to paxil and i'm fine again... its gotta be the oxy or combination, because i'm 26 and i never ever have snacked like i do now nor craved sweets, just wondering! thanks people.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the very beginning, my body did crave sweets. It passed after a time.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I was getting high daily I used to go to restaurants and instead of ordering a dinner I would go straight to the desert menu and end up getting a banana split instead. Amazing I don't weigh 300 pounds by now!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

craving sweets is VERY common when coming off of opiates. The first week when i was detoxing i must have ate about 2 bags of jolly ranchers per day.

It will subside within a weeks time, dont worry its perfectly normal to crave sweets // chocolates
Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I could be doing wonderfully on a diet and then I would relapse and my diet would go down the toilet...I would start craving sweets like MAD! In the beginning of my abuse I lost weight, then I started gaining.

Now I am on zoloft, low dose like 25-50MG a day and I am still craving sweets. UGH! I am back up to my all time high weight. :-( however I love being clean!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resilient One

Sheila77,

I found that my pattern in weight loss/gain and cravings were identical to yours as you describe. At first I was too euphoric to eat, since I am mainly an emotional eater to begin with. That faded though.

Zoloft is a weight gainer for many. The thing is, I also did very well on it initially and was working out fanatically. I lost a ton of weight, got toned, and looked smokin' but it turned around quickly and I got more lethargic as my doctor kept upping the mg's.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resilient One

Fluffy, are you taking Paxil and Oxy's together?

P.S. Snickers is the best, lol.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

opiates make me crave opiates.

-Brad
Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fur Baby Crazy...Meeow!

there was a huge blog about this not too long ago too.. if you can find it.. I crave sweets big time on oxy. My appetite in general was out of control.. salt sweet.. salt .. chocolate.. pepsi.. whatever I could find. It does get better thou with some time. what was that post called.. geeshhh got the crs goin on.. something like weight gain on oxys or something like that. check it out for more info.
Kari
Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think this is the thread that Kari is talking about.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ight-gain.html

Hugs, Marle
Old 03-31-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fur Baby Crazy...Meeow!

yeahhh that is the one.. thank you!!! i was just checking that one out too. seems like we go round in circles with same subjects a lot.. thought maybe that might help some. Thanks for posting it!!
Kari
Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by peachy1005 View Post
opiates make me crave opiates.

-Brad
yup
Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyGirlMimi View Post
Fluffy, are you taking Paxil and Oxy's together?

P.S. Snickers is the best, lol.

yup... doctor perscribed
Old 04-20-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love sweets, but only when I'm high on Opiates... I am also on a dr detox program which is ms contin in high doses, and I eat sweets alllllll day.. which is weird, because im not a sweets type person, I am more of a chips or nuts type snacker.. so i would totally say that opiates and the withdrawal makes you crave sweets... I had to get lots and lots of fruit otu of fear of gaining weight, and low fat frozen yogurt.. yummers. So stock up on some "good" sweets, so you dont eat a whole whack of snickers, and end up getting mad at yoruself over the weight gain. Also paxil can make you gain weight.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The only thing opiates make me crave is more opiates.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to eat a lot of sweets and fast food when I did opiates, but I was smoking pot too and it could've just been my lifestyle at the time. Often when I was on morphine, I would drink pop and puke, drink more pop then puke more... My teeth were pretty rotten after awhile.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Waiting For Engines

I eat, as a minimum, 6 Snickers' bars a day, along with a few Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and Butterfingers, Fluffy. As you probably recall, I am on Methadone and this is very common among those of us on opiates. I think that since I was dropped from 150 mg to 90 mg, my cravings for sweets has increased.

Prior to my methadone pain management treatment, I do not recall craving sweets as much--unless I was on a real race with Heroin. On dope, I did not eat, but drank the sweetest beverages I could buy.

I am happy to see you on the boards again, by the way!