Notices

Hello everyone

Old 03-29-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
katherine34

Hello everyone

Just joined the site today in hopes of finding some online support to combat my addiction to alcohol. I am not ready to enter any type of treatment program or AA group. I would like to try this first. Today is my first day sober and I know I need help. Thanks for the opportunity to be here and I look forward to hearing from others in the same situation.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Welcome Katherine! Congrats on taking that first step. This site is a great resource for support and advice. So keep posting!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

I do suggest it's wise to have an honest talk
with your doctor before abruptly stopping

De tox from alcohol is a medical issue
and can be dangerous if you try alone.

Glad you are here with us...
Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Katherine!

Congratulations on your decision to address your drinking in a healthy way. There is a lot of information here, especially the "sticky" posts at the top of the forum page.

You don't have to do it alone. We are all supporting you.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Katherine, there IS a lot of great info and support here. Down the road, do not fear AA, it's the best thing that happened to me in 20+ years of drinking.

Again, welcome and congrats in advance on your first soon to be 24 hours, remember one day at a time, do not worry about the past or the future.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pi2

Welcome Katherine...there are lots of awesome helpful caring people here...Congrats on your first step!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katherine34 View Post
Just joined the site today in hopes of finding some online support to combat my addiction to alcohol. I am not ready to enter any type of treatment program or AA group. I would like to try this first. Today is my first day sober and I know I need help. Thanks for the opportunity to be here and I look forward to hearing from others in the same situation.
WELCOME! Would also second CarolD's advice, alcohol withdrawal can be fatal, you may want to seek professional help.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Glad you're here Katherine. And I'm glad you're sober. I know that first part - the part where I said "I need help" was some of the hardest work I had to do. So good for you for being able to say that. When I said that, it felt like a surrender to me. Surrendering has never been easy for me. I kept thinking I was supposed to put up a fight. But fighting wasn't what made it work. Even fighting my addiction real hard. It was surrendering that put me on the right path.

Hang in there. Breath.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi katherine- im new too, and my first day after a two day relapse after a three month attempt at cutting down...........
nice to meet you and good luck
Old 03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Katherine,

Welcome!

Glad you found us.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR!!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

hello and welcome to the forum

best wishes to you in your journey with sobriety
Old 03-29-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

welcome Katherine - keep reading keep posting you can find sobriety and it's wonderful

Cathy31
x
Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
katherine34

Unhappy Afraid of AA

I totally respect anyone who goes to AA as it is obviously an invaluable tool for many in battling their addiction. I am not against the idea of going but I consider myself a pretty shy person with a bit of social anxiety and quite frankly the whole process terrifies me...
Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

katherine,
Im going to attend my first meeting tomorrow and im absolutely terrified too.
Im awful in large groups of people and still find even speaking out at college crippling but im just telling myself its the price im going to have to pay to save my life- quite literally
sn.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Generally they aren't large groups, maybe 30 tops. In MI, they divide the groups into tables of 6 or more. You don't have to talk, in some places, like Fla. for example, they do the "classroom" thing. The group leader, someone with a fair amount of sobriety, sits at a table by themselves. Everyone sits at chairs, the leader decides if you get to speak or not. Newcomers aren't generally invited to speak, they will tell you something like "god gave you two ears and one mouth for a good reason".

In MI we have a group tradition of inviting newcomers to introduce themselves to the group, the person stands up and says their first name, the group chair welcomes them and everyone applauds. Again, nothing is mandatory, if you walked into my home group and didn't stand up no one would question you about it. If you sat at a table and didn't want to say anything beyond your first name no one would question you.

What you might hear, at the best tables, is folks telling you how they got there and what their lives are like today. Good Luck.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I was scared too at first. And I'm an introvert, for sure. But I just walked in and took a seat and tried to listen.

I was drunk and crying the entire time the 1st meeting, and the 2nd meeting I was drunk but not crying. But by the 3rd meeting I was quiet enough to listen.

The only time I was asked to speak was at the beginning, the person leading the meeting asked, "Is there anyone here for their 1st, 2nd or 3rd meeting?" I raised my hand and they said, "Could you please stand and introduce yourself?" I stood and said, "I'm Molly, I'm an alcoholic" and then sat back down crying. The funny thing about that is that my name's not Molly!

It took until the 3rd meeting for me to admit I'd been giving them an alibi. The ridiculous things drunks do!! When I got my 30 day chip, people remembered that and we all had a good laugh. I'll always be known in my home meeting as the woman who gave an alibi for her first 2 meetings. It even makes me laugh now. What did I think, they were going to tell on me??

Just walk in and sit down and you'll do fine. Oh, and use your own name.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Take one step at a time and please listen to the advice that the others have on detoxing.

You have the desire to stop drinking which is a great start. Once your brain clears up you may want to consider a plan to stay sober. This is a great forum for advice and guidence no matter what you chose to do for your recovery and as far as AA goes I will leave you with this analogy-

You are trapped in quicksand and everything that you try on your own just gets you in deeper. You notice 2 people safely outside of the quicksand eager to offer you advice. The 1st person, completely clean and dry, tells you to swim for the edge - the only way to free yourself is through will power and determination. The other person, completely covered in sand and mud, offers you a pole to grab and tells you that someone else offered him the same pole and successfully pulled him out. Which person do you listen to?

No matter what path to sobriety you chose, make sure that the success is there because you are worth it!

Thank you and keep posting.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi Katherine, welcome, recovery is a wonderful place to be!

Cathy