Notices

Reflections of Easter's Meaning to Me

Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Reflections of Easter's Meaning to Me

With Easter Sunday winding down, I had a few things I've really been thinking about today.

I know that there is a huge difference in Religion and Spirituality. I'm not a Religious person, but I am very Spiritual. If it wasn't for having a close contact with my Higher Power, whom I choose to call God, I know I would not have made it in my Recovery as far as I have. To be honest, the night I surrendered in July of 2005,during my first few hours Clean and Sober, if I hadn't screamed to God to help me, I know I would have never had a Day 2.

I really didn't do anything elaborate to celebrate Easter today. Just spent some time with my Mom and Son. No big meal, no new clothes, no Easter Basket, no Easter Egg Hunt, just a normal day. But normal days now are by far the most special to me. They lack the drama , hopelessness and misery of the past when I was using.

I kept thinking about how my new life in Recovery is so very like what the meaning of Easter is all about. I arose from the dead. Just like the Bible says Jesus did. My Body was alive, but the rest of me was dead. I was emotionally & spiritually dead.

One of the Eleven Promises that Alcoholics Anonymous makes is . . .
"We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. . . "

I need to remember how horrible it was when I was drinking and using. It makes me appreciate what I have now all the much more. And if I shut the door on it, I can't remember those feelings of hopelessness that I had. In these things, I find Gratitude.

I thank you all for letting me share this today. I remember on Easter Sunday in 1991, I sat in a bar all day and got so very drunk. I came home, passed out and was woke up with the phone call that my Sister was dying in the hospital. She had been hospitalized for six weeks as a result of this disease. Today, I live my life for Linda as well. She never made it into Recovery. So I celebrate Sobriety for the both of us.

God Bless and I hope everyone had a Peaceful and Blessed Easter as well.

Love to All,
Judy
Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Easter season for almost all holds a meaning that is the same.
Rebirth. Life starting anew.
Spring season and nature comes back to life.
It is the season of Passover where the Israelites were saved from death with the blood of the lamb.
And for Christians... The blood of the Lamb *Jesus* was poured out so that we all may find new life.
The common connection that we all carry with us in this season...
New Life.

For those of us who have found recovery, we sure do see a new life every day we awake.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Judy,
That was beautiful!! God Bless You hon!
Hugs,
Machele