Notices

Hi Family

Old 03-20-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Smile Hi Family

Just a update here!

I have been doing the best that I can right now just to not overdo anything. I haven't been here for awhile but you are always in my thoughts. I have been out of the hospital for a week now I think LOL. I am feeling a little better I think but not sure.

Lately I have been moderating my smoking and am down to 1 cig a hour or hour and half. Hard thing to put down but I am working really hard at not going over the limit that I have set for myself. I will do this for a few more days and than my limit will be 1 cig ever 2 hours for about 2 weeks and than go to one every three hours.

I have never cut back to even 1 cig every hour for 37 years of my life. Those nasty things have been a demon to me for a long time. However I know with the support here that I will be able to do this deal. It isn't going to be easy but like I say it is doable.

The Doctor still has me on 80-100 mg of steroids a day and is planning on keeping me on that dose for another week I think is what he said. Than we will go to 70-90 mg for about 2 weeks if all keeps holding steady. He said that my condition probably won't get any better but he is hoping to keep me stable. He gave me the news that I probably won't live much more than a year. Ugghhhhh but trying to keep up my spirits and like I said he isn't my HP>

So now with my lung condition and my heart I find myself at peace. This has really brought Vic back to living in the day and being so grateful for what I have is such a blessing. There is so much goodness out there. I can see so much of the life now that before I would just ignore. Being able to take a shower is such a reward now, takes a lot of work but it is so rewarding.

Anyways I suppose I better stop, just wanted to let ya all know that all is well. Much love to each of ya.:ghug
Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Vic, you are SO right when you say that the dr isn't your HP. Remember, he is giving you an educated guess and that's all. I think sometimes when drs make a pronouncement like that, it limits our thinking. Don't limit your thinking Vic, let your mind soar.

I'm so glad that you feel at peace with yourself and your life. You are a fantastic role model for me, in how to deal with such a difficult situation with grace and dignity.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Good to hear from you (((((((Vic))))))) and gald your doing better.

Your right, the Doc is only giving one opinion, maybe look around for alternatives?

Kevin
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration, Vic. I'm so proud of you.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My healing prayers continue for you Vic
Old 03-20-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Vic,

Congrats on cutting back on the smoking - I know how tough that is. I have been gradually cutting back on my smoking for the past year and a bit. From about 25 a day to 12-14 a day. I know it's not as good as quitting but as a lifelong smoker, I'm sure that you can appreciate the progress. Feel way better too. Anyway, I also use nicotine gum (follow directions! seriously) in between smokes & it has really helped me with the cravings and to cut down. They make the gum way better than they used to - coated, different flavors. End goal is still to quit. One thing at a time!

Happy that you are feeling better!

D
Old 03-20-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Vic!!!

I've been away and I didn't know you were sick. I hope you get all better really soon.

I have to stop too. I have been under lots of stress in relationships and work and I smoke too much. For an asthmatic it's just crazy.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Great to have you back on the forum Vic. Quitting smoking is hard, I've failed again but I'm going do what you're doing and try cutting down gradually instead. That seems like a good idea.

I wish knew what to say about the news the doc gave you. What I can say is that I really admire and respect your bravery and your spirit in the face of things, and I really, really mean that.

Keep going Vic, you're a legend.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Vic)))

I'm glad you checked in....was wondering how you are doing.

Good for you at working on quitting smoking...I tried, failed, and need to try again.

As far as what the doctor said, you're absolutely right...he's not your HP. My mom was told, when I was born, that she'd never live to see me turn 10 (heart problems). I was 29 years old when she died. She looked at every day as a gift and made the best of it...something I'm trying to do, too, because it's true..every day we wake up, it is a gift!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Vic..Like above. Anything is possible.
You keep living in the moment and know that I will be thinking and praying for you always.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Chancey...........

Here are some :praying:

and

and 8

Please just rest and get better please.....

Love you Chance.

Sherry
Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks for the update, Vic.
Please take good care of yourself.
Hugs & Prayers
:praying
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Vic, what a great guy you are, praying for you mate.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

:praying
Old 03-21-2008, 04:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Vic))) Please know that special thoughts and prayers go out for you each day.

Live each day well, Vic, not one of us knows how many we have left but each day lived well makes the world a better place. YOU make the world a better place for many of us Vic, thank you.

Hugs and Prayers :ghug3
Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Vic,

Always nice to hear from you, glad to hear you in good spirits and home from the hospital. Keep cutting down on the cigs, you can do it!

Doctors have been know to be wrong, very wrong. Keep your faith, and God will call you when he's ready for you, not when your doctor decides.

Thanks for checking in, we're all pulling for you, you are such and inspiration to us all!

Take Care, Pal!
Steve
Old 03-22-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Thanks Everyone

Feeling better and better. I think I might have overdid it a little bit yesterday been doing a lot of resting today but I made it too a meeting after not being able to go for over a month! WHOOOO HOOOOOO

I did the 30 step stairs and felt like it was such a relief to be able to go. I probably shouldn't have but I needed to. I have never been that long without a meeting.

So thanks for all of your replies it means a great deal to me. Still smoking one a hour or hour and a half but I will keep working on it more and more. Anything is better than 40-60 cigs a day and smoking in the apartment also. Since I got out of the hospital this last time I haven't smoked one in the apartment! That is totally way cool, I can actually smell fresh cloths now amazing isn't it?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

pal 'o mine, how bout some candy cigs if ya got'a shove one in your mouth! lol

and you know i'm a do'n a lot of pray'n for you!

i love you vic!

pat
Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Vic,

I am so proud of you!

Keep showing us that amazing spirit of yours.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Vic. Glad to see you posting. Just posted on your other thread. I'm glad your feeling a lot better.

Barb