Notices

Switching from methadone to buprenorphine

Old 06-25-2003, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Switching from methadone to buprenorphine

Hi everyone, well my methadone detox was going good until the diarrhea kicked in so bad I ended up in the hospital. I took imodium like it was going out of style. I tried everything and I mean everything to slow the diarrhea. So the end result is I ended up going up again on the methadone. I'm still only on 21mg of methadone. I'm frustrated that everything is not going as planned. But I'm happy to say I'm switching to buprenorphine and going to try a slow detox. All research indicates that buprenorphine detox is much easier and more successful than on methadone. Since I'm on a low dose of methadone (they require that you are on lower than 30mg) and I'm so absolutely motivated, I think this will work. I also receive intensive therapy which I needed all along.

Wish me luck. I really have had no friends through my addiction and I just want some support.

Take care...M
Old 06-25-2003, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

mrreenarouser,

Good luck. You can do it. If you haven't already, get involved in some recovery activities. Meetings, support groups, etc. It's important to make new non-using friends once we've decided to stop using.

Juls
Old 06-26-2003, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

im coming down off of methadone too...i was on 110 mg and now im on 60..next week im going down to 50mg im soo happy cause when i was on that high dose i was always nodding and i was clean except for the meth.and i blew up like a blow fish never wore a size 14 in my life..i usually was a size 6 except when im active then i go down to size 1 or sum childrens clothes..thats one of the things that really bother me...i just dont feel like me in this weight..then i was like a zombie i had no need in doing anything except watching t.v. and eating chocolate and cookies and cream ice cream..that might be alil the reason id gained alotta weight... ya think..but now im finally awake i still nod for like 3 hours outta the day but i can control it..except on a hot day like today..but i havent felt any withdrawls..i guess cause i really wanna get off so anything i do feel i welcome it..but all ive been feeling is leg cramps and back aches..i get chills when i first wake up but once i take a shower i start to feel better..is it that u only start feeling real sick once u go below 30 or 20 mgs..im not that afraid i just wanna know what im in for even with dope the sickness didnt bother me as much the physchological part that came in like the 4th day that was when i usually relapsed..cause when your sick u just wanna lay in bed..till its over its the not sleeping and jumpyness that gets u to want more..and thats what im afraid of..i really dont wanna go back to using then i would feel like kicking myself in the butt..cause 15 months of my life was basically a waste since i would throw it away to go back to using..well any info would be nice and i hope u feel better and things work out its great that u found sumthing u think it'll help u..
Old 06-26-2003, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

We can get off of methadone together!

Hi, I read your post and it made me want to cry. I know every feeling you are talking about. Sitting there eating and watching tv like a zombie. Thats me! Yes, I go thru withdrawals each and every day. I can put up with all the pain and suffering except the diarhhea (it physically is impossible to survive with nothing but diarhhea). The aches hurt. The yawns are annoying. The shivers and sweating at the same time..annoying! But, I put myself in this situation and I will survive! I am here for you if you want someone to help you get down off of methadone. Just go slow. If you feel the affects of the lower dose. Don't panic. Just go very slow. I am on a low dose and once I switch to buprenorphine hopefully I can be off of methadone for the rest of my life. I'll let you know how it goes. Take care, M
Old 06-26-2003, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanx

i love when i find sumone who understands what im going through...yea i hate all the yawning too ill be on the train in the morning going to my program and one after another i yawn and then comes the tearing..everyone looks at me like get sum sleep..
the aches and pains in the morning really annoying me..i hate back aches but i think it also has to do with all the extra weight especially in the chest area..but i know the feeling of withdrawl when i have it..and i got sum all rite but i hope i dont sound to bitchy about it..cause i welcome it i just dont wanna be on it anymore..im very thankful to it thought its the only thing thats helped me kick dope..and in my short time on this planet ive tried almost everything i could of possibly do..the detox by me knows my name..thats how bad it was...but i feel 16 months is long enough by the time im finally off itll almost be 2 years..when i first signed on to this i signed for only a year..but like when i first took my first hit of weed i never saw myself being 22 with tracks on my arm..a battle of endocarditis and 16 months on methadone so sum things happen without a plan..but for the first time in my life i plan for sure to be rid of methadone by my 23 birthday,,i wanna know for the first time in 8 years what its like to not use a chemical to control my feelings..i will enjoy and use your info on your detox off of it wisely..so keep in touch and i hope u can find a way to get rid of the runs..i know it aint the best thing to go through but im sure once it all over u will feel a hell of alot better..at least i hope so,,