Notices

Questions

Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions

I try to read as much as I can regarding drug abuse, however there is much conflicting reading material out there. Some say it is heriditary, some say enviromental or trauma.???? My son is a crack user for 4 years, he never drank now daily he consumes a huge amount of alcohol. Is this normal for a drug addict? His memory is horrible? He looses everything this is even on clean days??
Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Whether it's hereditary or environmental, katie, does it much matter? So far, there's been no miracle cure for addiction. Most find that will power doesn't cut it. Many of us have embraced a 12 step program (myself included), believing that not only is addiction involves the physical and mental, but the spiritual as well. And it's not that unusual for an addict to swap one drug for another, or add another to the repertoire. Though there were some drug I didn't care for, in the absence of others, I'd take it if it would eliminate the uncomfortable sensation of reality.

As for his memory issues and his losing things, I'm almost five and a half years clean & sober, and I still have days that I feel like I'm not all there. A good sense of humor, making a lot of lists and taking extra precautions when something important is at stake, and those limitations haven't slowed me down any. But, if he's still using, there's no way to tell how much permanent damage he's done.

You sound very frustrated, and you're asking for answers. The real answers come from your son. Only he can answer the most important question -- "Are you ready to change?" and only he can provide the willingness and the footwork in order to do so.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-19-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I switched my drug of choice from alcohol to meth to opiates & back to alcohol.

I myself instead of struggling with the environmental and trauma, but I struggle with the disease model vs full blown sin that becomes addiction. However, one thing I haven't been doing lately is not focusing on the "why's" of using, but staying clean no matter what. Part of me didn't want to buy into the disease model because I didn't want to go to meeting the rest of my life....I wanted to be lazy and just be cured....

So perhaps like what sugah asked your son needs to ask, "are you ready to change?"

Blessings, Sheila