Notices

Is it okay to be addicted to pills?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it okay to be addicted to pills?

My AH takes benzos and pain killers every day (not perscribed for him). He doesn't think there's anything wrong with being addicted to them. I'm wondering how much they're effecting his personality. He seems more unstable to me these days. Do you think the pills helping or hurting?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Well if they are not prescribed he is taking big risks....just like all of us do when we use . He must have to spend alot of time and money getting them and making sure he has a supply huh???
For me the benzo's turned on me and made me very unstable when I was addicted to them. And the painkillers...well that was the beginning of my journey into real drug addiction...opiates..they really rocked my little world and I went on to hardcore heroin use...
Is it ok with you to be in a relationship with someone using ?? I don't know where you are at in your recovery but you have to put it FIRsT!!
Glad you posted.
love north
Old 03-18-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Um..........short answer...............there's prolly something wrong with him being addicted to illegally-obtained narcotics that will prolly kill him eventually.

hope that helps
Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,

Dopeless hope fiend... LOL.

Can you explain what you mean about the benzo's turning on you?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I concur. Taking these drugs with out a prescription is dangerous and illegal. If things haven’t gotten out of control yet, it’s probably just a matter of time before they do.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

In my experience benzos made me very moody and at time turn very angry or even violent at a drop of a hat.
But that is just me.
I hav eheard there can be some serious withdrawl.
But I am not a Dr so dont quote me on that.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsyrose View Post
My AH takes benzos and pain killers every day (not perscribed for him). He doesn't think there's anything wrong with being addicted to them. I'm wondering how much they're effecting his personality. He seems more unstable to me these days. Do you think the pills helping or hurting?
IT DEF ISNT OK TOBE ADDICTED TO PILLS, THATS WHAT GOT MOST OF US IN THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE,TAKIN PILLS THAT WERENT PERSCIRBED OR BELONGING TO US. i THINK U NEED TO FIND YOUR LOVED ONE SOME HELP. AND FIND IT FAST. CUZ THIS PERSON IS ALREADY INDENIAL THINKING THERE ISNT ANYTHING WRONG WITH WHAT HE IS DOING. JUST SOME FRIENDLY ADVICE...HOPE U FOUND IT USEFULL :praying
Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's hard to even see someone asking this question, how could it not be affecting him???
Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have to agree but I think this is extremely dangerous of him to be taking these without a RX. On top of that, they are addicting (captain obvious aren't I?

I was addicted to both of these drugs. They almost killed me.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Short short answer, Yes!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think that 'self medicating' is evidence of a problem and is a problem in itself.

Noah
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Hi,
Can I ask you what drug is he taking?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, there is a problem with what he's doing. First off, they're not his. Does he have a medical condition for which he needs these meds? I would definitely try talking to him about it.

Hey, North! How've ya been?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If he thinks there is 'nothing wrong' with pill addiction...he soon will.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just hope not too late.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I believe you can take pills recreationally and not be addicted to them, but this doesn't work for everyone.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Marius View Post
I believe you can take pills recreationally and not be addicted to them, but this doesn't work for everyone.
I agree. But I bet the success rate for recreational use of pills is pretty small. But hey, I may be wrong...it would be the first time though.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Whether or not he has a script is pretty irrelevant. A script does not block a person from abuse, does not mean they won't become addicted or are not already. Unless he's taking them exactly as prescribed, then he has something going on, and if he was taking them exactly as prescribed, you wouldn't be here asking.

The script is not the determining factor whether or not there is abuse going on. LOL, it is very handy for justifying and rationalizing, which of course are other indicators of substance abuse.

Any time one uses something to change how the feel or how they deal, then yes there is a problem.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Doug, even though you're usually always right, lol, having a script does make a difference. It's even worse to abuse a script that isn't yours. You don't know if you may be allergic to it if you've never taken it before, or because a doctor didn't prescribe it to you it could have adverse drug interactions, etc. Having said that, the guy still has a pill problem. I always say, if you've got to ask, you've got a problem.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have to agree with CC here.

Anti depressants, anti-anxieties, and bi-polar medications, to name a few, are all taken to alter the way one deals or feels, but not taking them is often a bigger problem for a patient. That’s why doctors prescribe them.

Of course if the prescription is obtained by lying to the doctor about symptoms, or the prescribed drug is being abused, then that’s another story.