Notices

Do I still lie?

Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I still lie?

Do I still lie - yes, do I make a habit of it, no. Dishonesty and lying are not only nasty habits to break, they are defects of character and they must be broken if we are to once again regain the trust and respect of our peers. Is there a necessary lie? Maybe, but the instances are so few and far between that telling any lie for any justification decreases my spiritual condition as well as my human condition.

Telling the truth is so much easier to remember.

If dishonesty is a continuing issue, why not inventory your honesty and dishonesty on a sheet of paper at night? It takes but minutes to recollect the day's affairs and could save you much in the way of shame, guilt and remorse.

Honesty is still the best policy for me.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

tks Rufus for the good topics lately...back a alcoholic into a corner and a lie pops out automatically every time..allmost..it just comes natural...like a built in lying machine,but somewhere along the line we realize it is incompatable with our new way of life.The lying just does not work anymore.The old tool for the old way of living just don`t fit
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Lying to myself kept me drunk for a lot of years, lying to others led others to not trust me and to a great deal of shame and guilt for myself.

Honesty is what got me started on the path to recovery and for me to regain a lot of lost respect and lost pride.

I still catch myself doing it, far less as time goes by and I continue to work my program.

Thanks Rufus.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IF I lie, I die! I know that sounds dramatic, but if I am not rigourously honest, I am in big trouble. Now there are such things as white lies. This is for the guys, when your girlfriend/wife asks you "Do these jeans make me look fat " the answer is still "No, baby, you're beautiful. There can be a fine line between rigourous honesty and stupidity
Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lol wordman....your a smart man!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not Me

I never lie.

If you believe that I've got some nice beach front property in Arizona I'll give you a good deal on.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
problem with authority

It's not a lie, because it's not the jeans that make her look fat. :0

Originally Posted by wordman View Post
IF I lie, I die! I know that sounds dramatic, but if I am not rigourously honest, I am in big trouble. Now there are such things as white lies. This is for the guys, when your girlfriend/wife asks you "Do these jeans make me look fat " the answer is still "No, baby, you're beautiful. There can be a fine line between rigourous honesty and stupidity
Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I gotta steal this one from Rob (as proxy for George Castanza)

"It's not a lie if you believe it."
Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

Lying is one of my “ISM’s”…

I’m
Spiritually
Misaligned

A friend of mine made the observation that he usually lied for one of two reasons… to be liked and to get out of trouble. I understand that today (if you spot it, you got it!) and realized that I have to be aware not to put myself in the position where I "want" to lie. If I’m taking care of my business as I should (fulfilling my responsibilities at work, at home, financially, etc.), I don’t have too many times that I have to worry about being in trouble or being liked. And it doesn’t hurt to use a little tact and diplomacy with people. I’m sure there is a better way of getting your point across instead of saying something that could hurt someone’s feelings. (When caught in the “Does this make my butt look big?” situation, do what I do and retreat to the fall back position by replying, “If you are asking me that question there must be something you don’t like about the outfit.” …then get the heck out of the general vicinity before they ask anything else!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

False sense of self

I'd like to say God has removed this defect from me completely, however, that would be, well you know....

My experience with regular inventory is this. When I lie it is a result of my false sense of self, or Ego. My true self needs no defending, it is perfection, just like yours.

I lie when I am afraid, that is the root of it, matter of fact, fear is at the root of just about all my stuff I have clung to. It's a good way to measure my current level of agnostocism. Thanks for the Topic Rufus.