Notices

I contacted my boss.....

Old 03-17-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Question I contacted my boss.....

As some of the people here know I have been on a leave of absense since last April from my job which I could walk to. I know my sobriety has to come first and that is where the dilema lies.
I work as a desktop support tech and also repair computers, laptops and printers. Im pretty good at it for someone who has basically taught themself. My company is a company that provides outside technical support for a huge .com business. The group I work with doesnt like to share information and when they do its only half ass. I was physically threatened by someone at work and eventually they fired him...."for other reasons". I was written up after I complained about him and sent my boss case and point on every issue that I DIDNT DO IT !!!! There are a couple people that are helpful when needed but the pressure is huge and it is a very stressful
environment. The client company has a few good aspects to it but they are all stressed out too and when they are down with a computer problem the pressure is enormous to get it resolved. The compaqny isnt doing that well and most of the .com businesses went belly up years ago.
They also serve alcohol on a weekly basis.
I have major anxiety to speak with HR on Wednesday and could use some feedback and/or support. I would like to be self sufficient again but I feel as though this is a great risk. I am trying not to project but its not working very well. I dont drive and its really the only good paying job in town.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

First, I want to wish ya the best of it with your job etc. I'm sorry I can't be of much help.

On a personal note, high levels of stress are bad for my sobriety. I keep it simple & casual. That is a simple and as stress free job as possible in my early sobriety. Simple job, minimal stress, if I have to leave (& I have a plenty)--I'm gone, complete vanishing act. Of course, I don't require much funds right now which helps. This might be where your situation gets tricky.

Also, I stay away from bars and I stay away from spirits. Because if I get near them, eventually I will start drinking them. Drinking comes natural to me.

Stay casual.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My feeling is that you don't want to go back to this job.

It sounds like there is too much pressure and stress and that people are difficult to deal with.

Why not look around and see if you can find something, that might pay less, but leave you a happier person?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i can't offer you much except my support in whatever decision you make, frstnm. hugs, k
Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

my first take on this was: don't go back ,
and how about since you have so much skill, why don't you hang out a shingle and hire yourself out to people with computers at home; repair, set up etc...good money there, work for yourself...geek on wheels kind of thing , oh ya no car, okay, so have them come to you.....make those skills work for you on your terms....
Old 03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My only input is don't give anybody the power to take your sobriety. Before I would let anyone get me angry so I had an excuse to drink, the guy who cut me off in the car, the lady at the cash register who was snide with me.

Don't let anyone take your sobriety, and as far as work goes, just be honest and humble.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Ive tried the hang my own shingle route and your right not driving definetly is a problem and there is ALOT of competition around. Maybe I will just have to settle for less (again) now that I am sober.
Ive been in a state of panic all day. More stuff with keeping my insurance so that I can get better on top of the job situation. I really just flipped inside when I got some paperwork that says I need to go several towns away for appointments to keep it. They want me to go places and know I dont drive. I just dont get it. This on top of a denied ssdi claim. Im screwed if I do and damned if I dont.
I have been wanting to escape all these feelings anyway lately.
I wonder if I am just broken and this is the way the rest of my life is going to be.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Spiritual Being

Originally Posted by frstnm View Post
I have been wanting to escape all these feelings anyway lately.
I wonder if I am just broken and this is the way the rest of my life is going to be.

I take the journey down that path of thought dam near every day my friend. Do you know where it has gotten me? NO WHERE. Well, it got me thinking about using again, it did indeed do that. Yes, we obviously all have some issues and yes, we may have to deal with some of these issues indefinitely. We don't have to wallow though. We can adapt and make this the best life humanly possible.

Keep your head up. You know that this decision is something that you're going to have to do on your own. I wish you luck. Perhaps these things that happen, happen for the best....
Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there frstnm!!!! We're all rooting for you!