Notices

Yet another newbie

Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cjb

Yet another newbie

Hello people - this is my first post.
I'm a middle-aged man in the UK, been off the booze for five months now, but finding it getting harder not easier.
I'm very reluctant to go to an AA meeting, because I live in a small town and have a visible job.
From what I've read, I'd expect people to say 'go anyway', but any suggestsions welcome.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR cjb You'll find lots of support here. Congratulations on 5 months, that's a big achievement. I don't go to AA, one of the reasons being that the meetings are not exactly anonymous where I live either; I'm considering find a meeting place that's farther away from home. Also, there are alternative options for you to start healing and recovering. This community should be one of them, please stick around.

Take care, hope to hear more from you

Matt
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

5 months is great.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi CJB... I've been hesitant in going to AA meetings too. Mostly because I'm generally afraid of the unknown... A friend came into town and she took me to two meetings. Now, I've gone to three without her.

I think the best thing I can say is: When you finally do go, you'll think "Why didn't I do this a long time ago?" It has really helped me with my sense of self-worth and also the cravings.

Ultimately, we have to become sober for ourselves. But I wonder if it would be easier for you if you did this for someone else the first couple of times. Like, "I'm going to go to two meetings, one for my brother, one for my friend." In other words, just sort of dedicate it, as a present, to someone else. Someone who cares about you and wants you to get better.

Let me know how it goes. I do really think you'll enjoy them. I have. And I was a real skeptic.

-- NM
Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us, cjb. I go to AA, and this site has been a big part of my recovery also. Do whatever you need to do in order to hang on to that hard-earned sobriety.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi CJB!
Congratulations on your 5 months - that's very good!
Their's nothing to be ashamed about going to A.A. What people say in the meetings stays in the meetings. And if anybody who knows you sees you their it's no big - they obviously have the same illness as you and they're not going to go telling people "guess who i saw at A.A!?" or stuff like that. In fact, i reckon they'd admire you for having the courage and faith to get better and I honestly don't think it would affect your reputation or profession in any way whatsoever.
If you really don't want to go in your town go to meetings in another town.
If their were no pubs where you live would you not go to another town so you could drink? It's the same with the meetings.
Take care. :ghug3
Old 03-10-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cjb

Thank you

Thank you for your positive replies everyone - I appreciate you taking time to write them. Not sure what I'm going to do from here on in, but I certainly plan to make use of this site. Some of the stories of recovery are very encouraging to me.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...
I drank in public and I make no secret of my AA membership.
I've had more "Good For You" comments on my AA recovery
than I ever got by drinking.

However...from our Alcoholism Forum
here is a link of recovery programs

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Congratulations on your sober time
do keep posting with us...Welcome to SR!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR I agree with Carol. Glad your going to keep posting here.

Kevin