Language of Letting Go - March 6

Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - March 6

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Peace

Anxiety is often our first reaction to conflict, problems, or even our own fears. In those moments, detaching and getting peaceful may seem disloyal or apathetic. We think: If I really care, I'll worry; if this is really important to me, I must stay upset. We convince ourselves that outcomes will be positively affected by the amount of time we spend worrying.

Our best problem-solving resource is peace. Solutions arise easily and naturally out of a peaceful state. Often, fear and anxiety block solutions. Anxiety gives power to the problem, not the solution. It does not help to harbor turmoil. It does not help.

Peace is available if we choose it. In spite of chaos and unsolved problems around us, all is well. Things will work out. We can surround ourselves with the resources of the Universe: water, earth, a sunset, a walk, a prayer, a friend. We can relax and let ourselves feel peace.

Today, I will let go of my need to stay in turmoil. I will cultivate peace and trust that timely solutions and goodness will arise naturally and harmoniously out of the wellspring of peace. I will consciously let go and let God.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I lived my life in a world of anxiety and fear for many years. It took me to a darker place than I have ever been before, and I pray I will never return there again. Living in the problem brought me down so fast and so low that I hardly knew how to live at all anymore.

For me, I had to start living in the solution...recovery...if I was to take my life back and make it worth living. It took time, it took work, but it's been a beautiful journey and I know today that as long as I stay in the solution I never have to go back to that sad place I once called home.

Meetings, working the steps and surrounding myself with support gave me my life back and I am grateful.

Hugs
Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This one hit me, all right. I really do have some sort of almost superstitious feeling about letting go fully and not being anxious or worried about my AD - that I'm setting myself up or something. Or that I'm letting my guard down. Or that I'm not being responsible if I just go and have a good, peaceful day.

I know intellectually that my fear/anxiety etc does not contribute positively to the outcome.

I need to practice this more.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today, I will let go of my need to stay in turmoil. I will cultivate peace and trust that timely solutions and goodness will arise naturally and harmoniously out of the wellspring of peace. I will consciously let go and let God.

I know this, I know this, I know this. I'm trying really hard today to hang onto it! I've been to that dark place several times and I feel myself sinking into it a little today. Maybe it's because I'm home sick, my kitchen is trashed (by my A son), and I feel so alone in my dilemma, being divorced from an A. I guess I have to tell myself that this little pity-party isn't serving any purpose and to man-up (or woman-up, I guess). Thanks for the prayerful words, Ann. I will let them be my life-line today
Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a really hard one for me, too. I am a chronic worrier. I think that I do feel like if I worry about something long enough, I'll find a way to "fix" the problem. It is sooo hard for me to let go.