Notices

need advice, husband trying to self detox

Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need advice, husband trying to self detox

hi
i thought my husband had the flu
he told me last night that he is trying to self detox from oxycontin which has been taking daily for 4 months
i had no idea
we have been married for almost 9 years
we have two great kids
i am stunned and shocked and betrayed but want to help him and don't know how
has anyone every detoxed at home? is it safe?
how long will it take?
i feel so lost and confused
can't talk to anyone i know
any thoughts would be appreciated
thank you
Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

It's probably a good idea for him to see the doc right away, I don't know anything about oxycontin but it's not a good idea to detox without medical advice - it's really not worth taking the risk...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ditto! Go to the doc. If he trusts you to tell him his problem surely you can work it together try not to get too angry or feel betrayed it can be embarrassing and frightening for him.

This forum is great for advice I've found it a godsend

Ermine
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Repair

Ditto!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

he can't go into inpatient because of his job
he works for himself and has a line of credit from the bank
if they were to find out, it could destroy his business.
can it be done outpatient??
Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Doctors canNOT tell anyone.
if they do - two words - law suit.

Also - I think outpatient stuff is common for a whole lot of related things these days that weren't ten years ago.

While we can't give medical advice here on SR. ( Like tell you for sure what they're going to do, and all that ...) It's against the policy of the site.

There is help and hope, however ... there always is, hon.

Some help will be to read the stickies at the top of the Substance abuse forums, (some of it can give you a general idea of procedures that are common and what others' personal experiences) and to contact your local Narcotics Anonymous. Also posting on the Substance abust forums will help - they've a wealth of information, even in your area - they know where to look for information.

Keep posting and reading , welcome - and I hope that helps!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My husband has detoxed at home from Oxycodone and Hydrocodone twice. Both times, he ended up in a detox facility after the worst of the physical symptoms had gone away. They physical withdrawal is not pretty but it's the psychological withdrawals that get them. The cravings that follow.

I don't know if he can detox outpatient. That doesn't even make much sense actually because he is, in essence, doing that already. My understanding is detoxing from opiates won't kill you but it will feel like it. Make sure he stays hydrated and tries to eat a little bit. The stomach cramps, diarrehea etc will be miserable. He might want to take motrin for the body aches and cramping.

Both detoxes my husband was in were short-term which is controverserial to some here at SR. The 1st time was 7 days, the second time was, I think, 4 days but again, he had already been through the worst of it. He needed some counseling and some meds and someone to tell him he could do this thing, plus it kept him locked up for a couple of days so he didn't do anything stupid like cave-in.

I would advise that you research the posts on opiates and Oxy's. You will get a wealth of information on personal experiences, both from the addicts perspective and the friends and family of addicts. I know more about this stuff than I ever wanted to know and although it sickens me some, knowledge is power and somebody on any kind of drugs, will lie and manipulate to get their needs met. Don't make the mistake of thinking that it won't be true of your situation or your husband because you are sharing a roof and a bed with a complete stranger right now. He is not himself but he can get back to himself if he gets help.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

he is still at home, but markedly better than the first 2 days...
he was able to eat yesterday and i made sure he drank lots of water and gatorade
we haven't talked much yet
just trying to hold things together right now and then go from there
he apologized for getting sucked in and for hurting me....
i am just taking it hour by hour for now and trying to keep things normal for the kids
he took some advil during the night for the back pain and aches...
he is very restless today....
thanks for your thoughts
Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's good news.

So, what are you doing to take care of yourself?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

THIS IS NOT ADVICE!!

This is just my experience with self-detox. I too own my own business and was not able or WILLING to go to a detox facility so I did it at home. Went through terrible withdrawal for 3 solid days and nights. Chills, cramping and hallucinations. I was very sick, but did survive. I would never recommend this method and would never do it again.

This being said I did find that I was much better as time passed and I took very long slow walks whenever I could. They seemed to settle my physical symptoms as well as quiet my mind. I was very thirsty and was not hungry for several days. I went to AA within a week of the detox and continue today some 8 plus years later. The support of AA was the key to staying sober and regaining my life. You can't imagine how your support will help, but the company and guidance of others in a recovery program is the key to achieving and maintaining sobriety.

If you or your husband wants any further information please feel free to contact me via Private message.

Good luck,

Jon