Change Your Brain ... PBS special

Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Change Your Brain ... PBS special

Hey all

I just started watching, but I had to stop and write about this.

In northern california it's fund-raising time on PBS, and I don't know about you all, but they have some great shows during that time, Christiane Northrup, Joseph Campbell, etc. I DVR'd "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life", and the quote the Dr. just said was something about how often when we are feeling bad, our thoughts are lying to us. Interesting, everything we are teaching ourselves here, alanon and everywhere else - is actually turning out to be scientific fact. I, for one, did not realize just how much it was scientific and am finding it very interesting!

In the beginning he showed pictures of healthy brains vs. damaged - by chemicals due to jobs, smoking, drugs, etc. and discussed briefly how marriages are effected, etc.

Not sure what all he's going to go on to, but for this codie brain, it seems to have some good practical advice (things that we pretty much already know), i.e. if we find ourselves with the same thought more than 3 times (obsessing) do something to distract ourselves from the that thought. Lots of good stuff, and he talks about how certain diets - high carb or low carb - help certain kinds of thinking patterns.

I'm off to keep watching.

Wishing everyone a good week!

:ghug
Old 03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll have to check into this. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm a big believer in "how you think is how you are" because I know that when I fill my thoughts with positive things, positive energy flows through my body and is reflected in my actions. I "feel" better when I pray, when I say positive affirmations, and when I "do" things that make me feel better, like walking or listening to nice music.

When I feel sad, anxious, or angry, I can feel my body reacting by being tired or obsessive or filled with resentments and that's negative energy taking up the space that tells my physical body how to "react".

I have learned that I have a choice. It's okay to feel sad or angry, it's just not a healthy thing for me to hang out there for long. I acknowledge the feelings and then turn to better thoughts and positive actions that will take me out of my "funk" and into a better place of light.

Just for today, I choose to feel positive and grateful for all the blessings life has given me. I choose to let the negative feelings have their place and then give them back to the universe while I practice actions that will take me to a better place.

Thanks for this reminder, it's good for me to practice what I preach and today I will be more aware of what my "choices" are.

Hugs
Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, it turned out (if you FF through the fund-raising parts) not to be too long, but fairly short and concise. He had some dietary tips, talked a lot about exercise. Said in a side by side comparison with an anti-depress. (exercise vs. anti-depress. - which by the way he did not pick on, just more talking about the exercise part), exercise was just as effective for X number of months, but that by, I think, (obviously I need to work on some brain stuff - especially short term memory LOL!) 10 mos, exercise exceeded the effects of the anti-depress., and there were no sexual side effects! He talked about the importance of sleep, certain supplements, etc. Talked about how to help yourself against alzheimer's etc.

Hearing, from a Dr., that our thoughts lie to us most of the time, especially the thoughts that make us feel bad, was affirming for me. I usually do better at thinking myself out of funks, but the obsessing part - that can take over! There was also something about anti-anxiety and other RX that he had something not too supportive to say I think, but I'll have to re-watch to remember. Anyhow, for me it was a kick in the pants! I haven't deleted it off the DVR, so I can watch again and maybe remember more. Do remember blue-berries (he called them brain-berries). Bottom line, just how important it is short-term and long term to take care of our brains if we want to live a long, healthy and happy life!

Well, happy Monday all! Have a great week!!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to say, that I feel I am getting dumber by the day. My brain is so consumed by this situation, I think the rest of it is just dying off from non-use!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well biocat, the Dr. did talk about what happens to the brain when we don't use it! It's enough to get you going but not in a gory sort of way! Like I said, for me, it was a good kick in the pants! I did better when the weather was warmer and I was out walking, I tended not to be so obsessed, but the colder and wetter, the more I holed up and the more I "focused". Out the door in our sneakers we go! Get that blood flowing!