Welcoming newcomers

Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Smile Welcoming newcomers

"Having alanon, and SR to discuss things while being allowed to remain anonymous helps us all the way around.
We don't have to explain ourselves to anyone. When we do choose to share our problems and issues, we can do it in an atmosphere of accpetance.
I love that."

The above is a quote that really helped me today, from a friend of mine here on SR.

I remember being a newcomer...how scared I was...so fearful of the unknown...of being rejected...it took all the courage I could muster to go to my first meeting. How thankful I was for that "atomosphere of acceptance". I think about how much that acceptance helped me. I experieced unconditional love from those dear members in my home group.

I am learning a "big" lesson today. I learned that welcoming the newcomer...and validating their experience...is better than advice...or being "right" in my own eyes. I learned how it helps me when I welcome the newcomer. I want to be able to say that...I helped...in some small way...to make this person feel welcomed.

I realize I haven't always done my best in this regard.

Today, I learned to be thankful for the gift of acceptance and to try and pass that on to newcomers and everyone else.

So to all you newcomers....WELCOME!!!!