Notices

Another bizarre question

Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another bizarre question

Hey All- I have 6 weeks sober today...I almost can't believe it..I went back and checked the calendar and its definitely 6 weeks...uncharted territory for me since I was like 17...I'm 42 tomorrow. Anyway, another bizarre question- my right hand sweats profusely since I stopped drinking...I know that sounds ridiculous but its true...just my right hand. I'm becoming aware of so many physical things since stopping drinking...maybe they were always there, I don't know. On a more serious note..anxiety has really become an issue...I'm currently on meds for that but I think I need to address it further...untreated mental health issues have inevitably led me straight to the bottle...has anyone else gone through this? I get so worked up and paranoid..its become a quality of life thing...really. Its hard to dodge the "doom and gloom" thinking at times...Hope all is well and everybodys safe...Thanks...Rob
Old 02-20-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Rob I found the solution to all that doom and gloom crap in the steps and in the rooms. Now in regards to the sweaty hand????? I really have no clue, I do know I continued to see physical changes in me for over 6 months.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, yes, I think lots of us drink to self-medicate. I had to get my depression properly treated, before I was able to stop drinking.

And, I think it's easy to overlook physical problems while we're wrapped up in addiction. Maybe they were always there, but you should probably talk to your dr.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rob - I just wanted to say WELL DONE
on 6 weeks of sobriety! Sorry I don't have any information about the sweating hand. I do suffer from anxiety and paranoia from time to time but the longer I've been sober and continue to work at recovery, it's gotten a lot better. Keep reaching out, going to meetings, and working with your sponsor. You're doing really well, Rob.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats Rob! 6 weeks! 8

At 6 weeks I was still all over the place mentally, mood swings, anxiety, despair...where was my 'pink, fluffy cloud'?!
I am glad your seeing your Doc. I self medicated too, I have always had mental probs.

As for the one hand sweating, sounds like anxiety but I dont really know.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Rob I have to hang my head in shame, I neglected to congradulate you on 6 weeks, HUGE accomplishment!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

Easy does it buddy. Your body has some healing to do. 6th weeks is an amazing accomplishment. By your bodies standards though, it stayed drunk for years n years, we can't expect it to be fully healed in 6 weeks. Honestly it took 6 or 7 months for my body to stabilize. The human body is very resiliant but it takes time, everything is a process. Don't expect to be 20 years sober over night. It will get better though and chances are your fine.

***standard disclaimer, medical advice from drunks is not
reliable, talk to a dr like you said you were going to***

I'm actually getting a physical in 2 weeks, my first since I've been sober
i don't think there is anything wrong with me, but getting confirmation will definitely be a relief
Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

First of all I'd like to say,
Congratulations on 6 Weeks!

As far as the hand sweating, you remind me alot of myself early in my Recovery, especially when you said you checked the calendar to make sure it was 6 weeks today. I know for me, I was waiting for someone to pull the rug out from under me. It was like this all was too good to be true. I kept thinking that at any minute I was going to wake up either in jail or the Psych Ward. The entire amount of time I thought I was Clean & Sober would end up being simply a hallucination I had after an overdose. I later realized that all the guilt, shame and self hatred was alot stronger than I thought. I thought I didn't deserve to be happy. I didn't think I was worthy of the life that I was now living.

But you do deserve all the Happiness you are feeling. And as far as your hand goes? I think it's a way of thinking that now, right when you're finally getting your #*^! together, you have some mysterious, fatal illness. I don't think one sweaty hand is a symptom of anything except thinking you're not worth the Congratulations that are coming your way.

Enjoy the new life you are working on! I now have over 2 1/2 years Clean & Sober and it only gets better. Also, did you say tomorrow is your actual birthday? Well, Happy Birthday as well!8
Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Oh my goodness, I did not realize that the font was so big. I didn't want to risk losing the message though. I've had alot of problems with that lately. Oh, well, I guess you won't be able to miss it, will you. LOL!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Hi Rob;
I don't have any answers to your questions, I just wanted to pop in and say WELL DONE! Six weeks is incredible. Good for you Rob...I'm super happy for you.
Hugs.
Tay.