Notices

Any suggestions?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Any suggestions?

Hey there everyone. I'm looking for suggestions. I'm a work-at-home mom, and the loneliness drives me to drink the most. I just moved to this area 3 months ago, so I don't know anyone around here. My fiance works long hours, and I have a weird work schedule (on 4 hours, off 4 hours, back on 4 hours). We don't have a lot of money either because I pretty much drank it all away. I'm a very shy person (when I'm sober) and was wondering if anyone could help me find cheap ways to get out of the house and meet people. TIA!!

Mel

~Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet for certain.~ Dave Matthews
Old 02-16-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi melwilson,

My suggestion is volunteer work.

Take a look around at your neighborhood and your community and see what you can do. It's a great way to meet people and it will help you to feel good about yourself too.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's an awesome idea. Never even thought of it. Thanks a bunch.

Another thing I should mention is that I have a 2-year-old and 7-year-old. If I could include them, that would make things a lot easier. I don't have a babysitter or a daycare (obviously). TIA!!

Mel

~Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet for certain.~Dave Matthews
Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hmm, maybe you could look at your local library where you might be able to help out with story hour. Or you might be able to volunteer at your 7 year olds school, and bring your 2 year old along. I also used to volunteer for the field trips that my older child took and be able to bring the younger child along with me.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

AA meetings? I'm shy too, but people there will take you in. Find a couple of hours a week if you can. Get a few phone numbers of fellow drunks and use them. Then when you do get lonely, you have someone who can relate to what your going though.
It was hard for me at first because I am so shy. I didn't know how to talk to people, or how to start a conversation. Here's a tip, people love to talk about themselves, so ask them questions about their favorite subject, and you won't have to do much talking.
Good luck!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna. Volunteer work is a marvelous way to meet people and get your mind off your own troubles. I have three small boys, and we volunteer at a food pantry, a soup kitchen and a home for unwed mothers. The boys are always welcome and there is always some little job they can do. You can find volunteer ideas through United Way and the Salvation Army on line.

Also, if you are interested in a church, it is a great way to meet others and nuture your spirituality. Our church is a gold mine for me: Connection to my God, lots of social interaction, volunteer activities, a mom's group and two AA meetings a week. One stop shopping! LOL

Keep posting!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, Jomey, I am so impressed!

What a great example to set for your boys.

Both of my kids, now in their twenties, have made the choice to spend time doing volunteer work.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna...I really hope what we are doing with the boys now will stay with them to adulthood. Thanks for sharing about your own children...it gives me hope. Our oldest is 11 and sometimes I feel like I am talking to the wall...I am sure you remember those days! LOL Thanks again!

How's the day going for you, Mel?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

People at retirement homes love kids or pets.

My mother would take her dog to visit them. One time this lady wanted a chicken sandwich. My mom felt good for a few days because this woman was sooooooooo happy someone did that for her.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks too all for the suggestions. I'm going to look into this and get back to you when I find something.