Notices

22 can't drive

Old 02-16-2008, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry 22 can't drive

So for as long as I can remember I've had anxiety. I've been seeing a psychiatrist for about seven years now off and on. I've tried a lot of medication for the disorder but nothing really seems to help me when it comes to the subject of driving.

I have been out driving with my dad a few times (never on roads with speeds of over 45 MPH) he tells me I'm a good driver, but I just can not calm down when I'm behind the wheel. I'm so scared that I'm going to mess up and have someone honking at me and swearing at me. Even thinking about driving gives me chills.

It's hard to be 22 and rely on the bus schedules around here to get you where you want to go in a timely manner.

Sometimes I wish there was just some other way to get from point A to point B quickly.

Does anyone else have trouble with driving?

I'm pretty frustrated and disappointed in myself.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, MrN;
And welcome to SR!!!

Yes, for years, I had difficulty driving, especially on the highway!
I was a nervous wreck and felt frozen. And when I had to go over a bridge, omg! Many times, I didn't go places, just because of the fact I had to go on a highway or over a bridge! It really hampered my life. I was filled with anxiety.

Then, I started college. I *had* to go on the highway. I was in my thirties. I just stayed in the middle lane, to avoid the exit ramps and the high speed lane. I let others go around me. I stayed *at* the speed limit, no matter what others were doing.

And, before I knew it, I became more comfortable! Yea, I faced my fear, and, it really is true, my fear went away!!!

I still have difficulty during hard rain storms, and snow storms. Late at night, too. I slow down, and even have pulled over if the rain is so hard I can't see properly. That's safe driving, not anxiety. And, when I don't know where I"m going, I do still get a bit nervous, but, I pull out a map, and do my best.

I've gone to NY, to NH and Maine by myself now; something I would have *never* done before! Just doing it has opened up my world. I can't tell you what a difference it's made.

Take it slow, but, do it. One step at a time. You'll be ok. I promise. If *I* could do it, so can you...

Shalom!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your kind words and warm welcome. You've really made me feel better.

Sometimes I feel so alone, so it's always nice to know that other people have gone through what I'm going through and beaten it. !
Old 02-16-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

I understand.
And you are not alone...

Let us know how you're doing as you take those steps...
And even as you anticipate them.
We care.

Shalom!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

MrNeg., I'm 22 too and I'm scared sh*tless of driving. Have been since I got into an accident back in high school. A couple times I've been so anxious that I had to pull over until the anxiety passed.

I get around on foot whenever possible, and I stay off the highways when I do have to drive.