Notices

Okay, here goes... I'm jumping in

Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Okay, here goes... I'm jumping in

Okay,,,this is my first post and this feels weird. I am an older women and not the "type" I guess that people would think I am a Meth head. No one knows but my boyfriend. He doesn't know how much. I hide it well and he is too self absorbed. My father doesn't know and I read all of this about you and your family that knows. Wow, my dad would die. He wouldn't be able to deal with it and he would look down on me. I feel that I am not as good as my sister anyway and that's part of my problem.

Today is the one year anniversary of my mothers death. She had a stroke and then was in hospice for 11 days before she died. She knew me and I feel really alone now.

I wondered if someone could tell me how long it takes to detox? I don't want to keep spending this money and living like this but I don't know how to do it alone...
Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome beachin . I don't have experience with meth but I'm sure someone will come along soon that does. Does your bf do it too?

I know how painful it is to lose a mother...it's hard. It's been a while now for me but on the anniversary of her death it's always all fresh and new again. My condolences. Hang in there.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beachin,

Welcome!

I don't know how long it will take for your detox, but hopefully others will be along who can offer you advice with that.

Try to not let what others think about you bother you. And, I know about the low self-esteem stuff. Personally, I think that is at the root of most, if not all addiction. After all, how could we poison our bodies, if we loved ourselves.

Please know that you are not alone and that we do understand.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am familiar with detox and rehab. How difficult it is to first muster the courage to check into a program and follow through. Meth is a tricky drug as it is so incredibly addictive and all-consuming.

Meth takes quite some time to fully detox from, as mentioned above, how addictive it is. So much of the rehabilitation is on changing thoughts, avoiding triggers, and dealing with cravings. Yikes. Meth can cause some serious craving. And most importantly, you cannot do it alone.

It would be wise to have medical monitoring to help you come off safely and gradually.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

amphetamines...
you're gonna crash.
you'll want some more.
you'll think that you need some more and if you're around people places and things that are triggers, it will be a lot worse.
I was lucky enough to get to go to treatment.
I had motivation, in that I was going to lose my job if I didn't.
They held me accountable, made me pee in a cup for a long time...
I have been clean form meth since 8/15/01.
It wasn't easy...
you could probably do it outside of a treatment setting if you were highly motivated to quit.
there didn't seem to be withdrawal symptoms like with benzo's or heroin, I didn't get "dope" sick...but I was already dopesick, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired of running on empty and crashing and burning only to get up and need to get more to have to do it all over again.
I was ready to quit.....
after being up for a week or more at a time then down for a day and up for another week....
you know, that vicious cycle eventually isn't so fun anymore.
Age doesn't have a whole lit to do with it...I was 39 when I got clean and I knew 60 year old tweekers.
You can do it any day you decide that you want to!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR No need to do this alone. We need you here

Kevin