Notices

living with smoker, trying to quit

Old 01-28-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

living with smoker, trying to quit

Hi!

I am now beginning my countdown to quit date and am reaching out for the help that I KNOW I will need. My situation is pretty grim in some ways, and I need to find some positives in the next week.

I live with a partner who will find out tomorrow if she will go to jail or not. I think she may. If she does, then I no longer have the worry of trying to quit while living with a smoker.

But then I have the grief, pain,stigma, fear and loss of financial input to worry about.

It is a very hard time yet I KNOW I NEED TO QUIT!

I am dying, smoking, I can feel it. My voice has been hoarse for way too long. The pains in my chest are not just anxiety anymore.
I have been quietly resourcing anything and everything, except human contact for the last 3 weeks. I have my nicorettes and lozenges, will probably go and get the patch an perhaps the prescription, I can't remember what it is right now.

I will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to quit.
I have not yet set a date because of the chaos with the trial, tomorrow would probably not be the best choice, nor the next day.....but then I feel I am making excuses. Im thinking maybe friday, but I haven't yet found the HUMAN support I need.

I live in the country, have very limited access to the outside world, work for myself and by myself... (artist) The only support I really have is my best friend who has never smoked and my other close friend that is as addicted as I am and has no intention to quit.

Sorry this is so long, I, finally after YEARS of lurking, am READY!!!!!!!!

I hope that someone here can relate and that as I come in here every day, offer me some tidbit of support. I read everything that has been written here.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=22931

ACS :: Guide to Quitting Smoking

TryToStop.Org

These are sites which can and do help.
Also, share here regularly. Read the stickies above. Learn from those of us who quit for good and those of us who slipped up.

Best of luck. You CAN do this!

Finally, remember to keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, you CAN do this! And it sure sounds as if you're motivated!! This may or may not help you, but here are some of the things I've found helpful over the past few weeks. 1. Coming to this board and reading the messages of others. (Maybe a case of misery loving company, I'm not sure but the suggestions have been helpful and finally I've had a great couple of days!) 2. Prior to quitting, I made a list of all of the things I didn't like about smoking and all of the reasons I wanted to quit. I carry it around with me and if I feel tempted I read it again. 3. Particularly those first few days...keep moving and busy.
Best of luck to you and good luck with court tomorrow. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Paula
Old 01-28-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you about two minutes after I posted this I watched my dog get hit by a truck, I am in deep grief and not knowing where to turn right now, If I hadnt been on the computer looking for help she might still be alive???
Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, anger I hear is the first response to grief, gonna go hang my head and cry for a while,,,,,,
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm so sorry for your loss...

Shalom!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Animals become like a part of the family. My daughter recently lost her cat due to renal failure, after taking it to the vet and doing everything possible to save it.
To the quitting smoking, you can do it if you are motivated to quit...
I got clean and sober with an active addict in the house!
****{Hugs}}}
Keep coming back!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi all thank you so much for your support, I will do this!! I will be setting a quit date probably for next week. Good for you for getting sober Cindi while in the company of temptation.

My SO has promiced to keep it outside until the worst part is over, hoping to do this and motivate them..

thanks