small steps up

Old 01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

small steps up

I am posting this for those who are still suffering the pains of their loved ones. I am a girfriend of an ex da and a daughter of an ex alchoholic. I don't know if it's fate or sheer luck, but they both started recovery at approximately the same time-my dad stopped abruptly and without any difficulty (after humiliating himself under the influence) and my bf after realizing he's hooked again. It is a tough process, I'm not saying it's not, but at least they're both doing their best in trying to overcome their addictions. So far, things look good. Dad is back to normal, spending evenings at home amusing himself with hobbies, and bf did have a relapse with a huge amount of guilt, but luckily his...supplier was incarcerated in the meantime (he finally recognized that as a sign to stop for good). Dad is clean, and bf is seeing a psychiatrist for emotional support and is on meds, but he's doing really, really good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should never give up hope when people you love are suffering. They need us to get through, and be there for them, 'cause there's always a way out. It's hard, but it's worth it.

I want to thank the people here for giving me support in my tough times, this was my haven when I had no one to turn to. Remember that it's a smaller problem when you share it, and that any advice you give is valuable.

Have hope, and never stop loving!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

will send prayers up for your dad & b.f. that they will continue to find their way. hugs,