Notices

New member recovering from Tramadol

Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member recovering from Tramadol

Hello Everyone! I am really new to all of this so any suggestions are totally welcomed. I am a 26 year old, married female who has been struggling with addiction to the medication, Tramadol. I have been a nurse for three years, married for 5, and have no kids, well, actually I have two four legged, furry kids with tails. A boxer and a spaniel mix. My husband is wonderful. He is the only one who knows of my addiction until now. He is so supportive, but it is difficult for him to really understand what I am going through. I started using the pain medication, Tramadol, after a surgery three years ago. My doctor prescribed it because it was "non narcotic" so it woud be safe to take while doing my nursing clinicals (I was in nursing school at the time). Well, I took that first dose before class that morning and fell in love with the way it made me feel. Here I am years later, addicted to this safe "non narcotic" drug. It has been overprescribed to me and I have taken full advantage of it, until now. I am tired of living like this. The detox from this medicine is awful, but I am determined to do it without anymore darn medicine. I am on day two of my recovery. I had to call in sick to work because I am feeling so bad. Does anyone have any detox tips? Look forward to talking to all of you. Thanks for listening!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Miss Lexy!

Alcohol was my thing so I have no specific advice about Tramadol but there will be plenty here who can help with that, I am sure.

I am glad you found us! 8
Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Banned Troll

Well I read your post and don’t know what I can offer you about getting off this drug. I guess I would have to ask you what do you think you should do, aren’t you a nurse?

I looked up the drug you mentioned and there is a potential for dependence and abuse. This abuse includes taking illicit actions to obtain the drug so the adiction is pretty serious. There is also mild to severe withdrawal symptoms if your looking to get off this drug completely I would talk to a trained expert like a Doctor. I don’t know your nursing background but based on the information above I wouldn’t bring this information out in the open where you work.

I would get to a Doctor or a detox and consult a professional. I am glad you have a loving and supportive husband and I wish you the best. Welcome to SR……
Old 01-24-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hot baths help with opiate type drug withdrawl. And stay hydrated. Gatorade is good. And try to eat something even if you don't feel like it.

I am glad you found us. Please keep posting.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community, Miss Lexy
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Lexy)))

Welcome to SR. I was a nurse for 12 years, and despite knowing all about addiction from the book point of view, it didn't stop me from becoming an addict. Now that I'm clean, I will try to get my license back.

As for the tramadol, I didn't realize what a problem it was until I started reading posts here. One thing to be very careful about....abruptly stopping can cause seizures, so I strongly suggest letting your doctor know that you're stopping it. If you don't feel comfortable with your current dr., find one who is knowledgable about addiction and non-judgemental.

The doctor I have now, is wonderful. He and my dentist are both aware of my addiction and recovery. You can also use the search button here and type in tramadol...it will take you to other posts of people who are going through what you are. That's how I found out how addictive it is.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Amy! Best wishes to you on getting your license back. I am still working as a nurse in the psychiatric field of all things! Life is funny, you know? The Tramadol is prescribed to me and is non narcotic so I am within legal rights to work as a nurse. I am prescribed to take one to two tabs up to four times a day as needed for pain. My prescription is for 240 tabs with five refills. However, I have been taking anywhere from 8 to 15 tabs a day, because I am so dependent on it. I have not needed it for a long time, except for an ocassional migraine. My doctor is somewhat of a quack and would probably just keep writing refills. Since it is not a narcotic there are no regulations on this drug. But, there needs to be because it is so addictive. I have tried to quit taking it in the past but I feel terrible if I don't take it for a day. I think I am going to find a new doctor today to talk to because the withdrawls are horrible. I will keep drinking the water and take a hot bath to help with the muscle aches. I am on day three and determined. I hope to learn more about all of you and hear your sobriety stories as soon as I get myself to feeling better. Thanks for all of your support! Addiction does not discriminate, not even for doctors and nurses. I never thought I would be in this situation, but with determination and support, I feel we can all make it through our battles together. Can anyone recomend a website for finding a doctor in my area that specializes in addiction recovery? I would also like some information on natural supplements that help with detox. Thanks again! I will keep you all updated.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Miss Lexy and Welcome,

I'm glad you are taking steps to change your situation. I think getting a different dr is a really good idea. Many of us couldn't have imagined being in this situation, but here we are and we can support each other.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Banned Troll

I put in (Detox Greenville SC) in my search engine and it gave me a bunch of numbers and listings. If you haven’t tried that it might be a place to start. Good Luck!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Lexy)))

An addictionologist is one who specializes in addiction. I just lucked out with my doctor. The first time I met him, I told him my "story" and he was awesome and supportive, as was his nurse. In fact, they told me "when" I get my license back they will help me find a job.

I ruptured a disc in my back a few years ago, and it rarely flares up, but when it does, Motrin will not help my pain. I talked to my dr. about it and told him I would only come to him for something when I've done everything else....exercises I learned in PT, motrin, heat/ice, etc. We have a plan if it happens...only enough pain med/muscle relaxers for 3 days, no refills. So far, I haven't had a problem with my back.

So, you just may ask around about doctors...my stepsister referred me to mine, and he's a GP, but I know I can go to him with any problem and if he can't help me, he'll find me someone who can.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Blessings to you and your husband
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, I abused Tramadol, as I used it to try to get off of abusing full blown opiates.Tramadol is highly addicitve, and I was eating up to 25 a day.I am surprised I never had a seizure or something.An addict always thinks they can fix it alone, but I just winded up using it in between taking my drugs of choice.I wish you the best, don't give up.
I am in a suboxone treatment program now for almost five months.I was not able to quit cold turkey and stat commited.Just know if this does not work, there is no harm in lookin into other options.As a nurse, I am sure you have done your homework on alternatives.Wishing you all the best.
When I was in withdrawal, I took allot of hot showers, which helped a little.I also bulked up on vitamins, especiallt Tyrosine.Look it up, it plays a part with the brain receptors that have been affected by the Tramadol.PM me if you need to talk.