Red flag check list

Old 01-13-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gns

Red flag check list

Several recent posts got me thinking about what ARE red flags that we should watch out for.... what have we collectively learned ...

For me someone who drinks "too much" in the first few dates

Someone whose friends are a lot younger then they are

Someone who doesn't put a good amount of effort when they meet my friends and family

Someone who only wants to see me once a week after many months of dating - whatever the excuses may be!

Someone who is not giving with their friends and family (not counting drinking buddies)

A guy who doesn't pay for the first date! - I know this is sexist, but I think that says a lot
Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here are some from the Best of SoberRecovery I think...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...red-flags.html
Old 01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why is it a red flag for you, gns, if a person's friends are (a lot) younger than them? Don't you think it's relative? I'd be wary if a 25 year old hung around with 15 year olds but not bothered if a 50 year old had a bunch of 40 year old friends or even younger.

ARL
Old 01-13-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Friend's opinions are often more objective than our own.
Sleeping with someone too soon always clouded my objectivity.
Closeness to their family is a good sign.
Generosity with their time, kindness, healthy hobbies + habits, happy with their life & career are all good signs.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
gns

Thank you Cynay and Spiritual Seeker.

ARL, my ex was 34-35 hanging out with 24 year-olds and telling me they were the most "emotionally mature people he knew" - NOT!

You are right, it is relative, but I think it may be a sign of immaturity or needing to feel superior.

Spiritual seeker you are completely right about the sex too soon clouding my judgement!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Minnie once posted a fabulous thread on red flags. I don't know if it's still available in the archives or if it was lost in the recent forum crash. It's well worth the effort to find it, if you're interested.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, gns, that makes sense and I have to say I really wondered about XABF's choices in friends. He seemed to latch on to much younger colleagues very quickly, socialized with them and then BANG! there would be a falling out. I think you have a point about their need to "feel superior". And, I think it can work in the other direction too as XABF also went to the other extreme by latching on to much older and needier people as if he was looking for a parent figure.

Maybe, a healthy medium would be somebody who has a few good friends and the friendship has a healthy history. Beware the person with no friends at all!

ARL
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I always watch how people, not just dates, treat fast food workers, waiters/waitresses, etc. I think it reveals a lot about them when you observe how they treat people over whom they feel they wield some authority.

I also listen to how men talk about women, especially their mother.

I consider racism to be a dealbreaker. How 19th century.

I want a balance between frugality and extravagance. Either extreme is a problem.

I also watch how they talk about the "weaker" people in society - prisoners, young single mothers, people on welfare, etc. Blanket statments about these groups make me wary i.e. "people on welfare are thieves" or "prisoners should get no extras at all".

People over the age of 25 who talk about getting wasted are not for me.

Those are some of my personal red flags. Mind you I haven't gotten laid in like 2 years yuk yuk yuk
Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband hangs around with 22-24 year olds and he is in his mid 30's. They all still live at home. None of our friends our age are into getting wrecked and acting like asses all the time. People our age have other things to worry about other than beer and running out of weed. From reading alot of the posts here it seems like many people with loved ones with addictions are similar with things such as not trying to become close with your family, silly excuses where the money goes etc etc. He was with them when he got into a fight defending one of them, then arrested because of it and ended up with 2 broken bones and unable to work and I dont think one of them has called to see how he was until this weekend when they needed something. Sorry to rant!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Well the age thing is not always one for me either. I have friends that are many ages.

But the one Im finding is the biggest one is this.
When you see her drinking more then eating when you are together.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The biggest red flag for ME ...

... was ignoring MY OWN gut instincts and intuition, regardless of what the AH was doing - or not doing - when I was around him.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If they are living with parents

and this is a good one: Telling you to get your hair done like their mother.

Another red flag: if they talk in victim terms all the time.

If they have money and are just plain cheap.

Ngaire
Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Age of friends doesn't mean much. Heck, I'm 53 and have good friends ranging from 30 something to 70 something. Where he see these friends and how often would be more of a flag. If its bar friendships, well, that says it all. I would watch for claims of so-and-so is my friend yet they never spend time together or talk. A small number of very close firends is what I would want to see.

My personal red flags are: alcohol involved in very social situation; wanting a relationship to move too fast toward exclusivity; if children are in the picuture, bringing the kids into the relationship too quickly; extremes in spending; not wanting to meet my family or me meet his family; wanting to be with me or talk with me too frequently or the reverse.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Red flags for me (at various stages)

Someone who wants me to go on a trip, instead of a date. Yeah, just happened to me
yesterday, folks. I told him "I'm saving myself for marriage" and that was that.
"I travel, let's meet near you."
"Call me on my cell, not at home."
Doesn't show any interest in my interests or worse yet makes fun of them.
Constantly is suspicious that I am with another man.
Shows up at the first date drunk.
Casually mentions "have you thought about taking off 20 pounds?" then not so casually.
Says "nice rack" to the waitress right in front of me.
Says sexual comments to me in front of my family. (red flag the size of Texas there)
Kisses the girlfriend of his friend (open mouth) in front of me (red flag size of North
America)
"I had exactly two today."
Physical signs (disheveled, bags under eyes, poor hygiene, wrinkled clothing).
Says "wait a minute, I AM a rich man" ... bragging
Flaunts the "people" he knows.
Doesn't introduce you to his friends or only select friends. In my experience, it's because
he knew the truth would flop out like a dead smelly fish.

I have girlfriends of all ages, from 15 to 80, so I might suggest to GNS ... "Routinely hangs out at bars or gets in trouble with younger people." I know what you mean GNS, though!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Red Flags...

Since I am 67 years old now I don't worry about this anymore. If nothing else, I don't have enough close friends. In past years I have had friends from 14 to 90 + years old...but most close friends were closer to my age. :ghug

I tend to have one friend that I can talk anything with. It just has been my way. I know all of my neighbors to say Hi and that is all we really do or tell each other when we are going to be away so we can keep an eye on their house & property.

I have a neighbor that shovels our snow once in a while...just because she wants to...our daughter & her husband usually do it since we can't do it much anymore.

My husband and I have one couple we are friends with and we eat lunch or dinner out together once in a while. Last week it was his 75th birthday so his wife got Chinese to go & they came to our house to celebrate with us. It was a fun evening. :bounce

Sober times are more fun to me than ever now. We share so much and our lives have been so simular...they had five kids and so did we. They are college grads and so are we...we get in some belly laughing conversations & it feels good. You wouldn't know that we had been in the social worker field at all....just having fun.

kelsh
Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My A didn't fit any of the red flags you pointed out, so I couldn't gauge by your list. Now that I look back, a red flag in my situation was when the A drank at inappropriate, serious times --

1) the death of a loved one,

2) when a hurricane was coming (a normal person is gathering candles, blankets and bottled water, while the A is more concerned about gathering enough beer to get through the crisis.)
Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to be rude if anyone takes this the wrong way; I was feeling really down this morning...then I read this comment from WantsOut and about fell out of my chair laughing!

Those are some of my personal red flags. Mind you I haven't gotten laid in like 2 years yuk yuk yuk

(I am sooooo not laughing at you, WantsOut!!! It just struck me as hilarious, as I am sure that many of us codies are 'restraining’ from sex in order to stay true to our codie recovery and not convolute our 'self-discovery' with the mess that sex often brings to the emotional table!!!) Thanks for the giggle! I, too, cannot give much credence to my theories and rules quite yet, as I have not tested them in any sort of sexual relationship thus far since my breakup almost three months ago, let alone have had sex since then!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love all the red flags previously mentioned........although this one rings true for me:
* THEY HAVE NO BANK ACCOUNT
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

oh you've met that guy too? ahhahahahaha

Ngaire
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have tears I am so sorry this has me giggling, I should of read this one with My Amy.....
Red flags are a b*tch.......

after you have dressed for the seventh date witht eh jerk he again shows up drunk holding his d*ck in his hand saying I have something better than dinner......yes after 3 years I finally gave up on that red flagged .............ugh THANK YOU GOD FOR LETTING ME UNDERSTAND WHAT A RED FLAG IS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!