Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Going into Rehab/Detox. Could use any advice or simply insights

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi All. It looks like I'll be going into a 14 day rehab/detox center starting in early January. I want to start by saying that coming to this forum has helped me realize the extent of my alcoholism and especially its impact on my coping skills and on the important relationships around me. And it's also taught me the power of reaching out for help. Thanks!

If anyone here has been through a rehab/detox, I would really appreciate any insights into what your experience was like. What did you do on certain days? What format did it take? Were there group sessions, one-on-one with counselor sessions, medical tests, journaling etc.? Any information would be much appreciated.

:puppet :bounce

Not sure which of these emoticons I feel like. Some combination of both.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Good choice on getting help. I have no advice to give because I have only gone one time and left after 5 days. I was not ready. But I am now and I myself am checking into a 30 day program tomorrow morning.
I wish you the best and hopefully I will see you on the otherside. Sober and clean and ready to stay the right path to recovery.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mr. Pirate you may find some treasure after all. Every treatment center offers something different but essentially what they offer is a foundation. Education, coping skills, time management, group therapy, counseling, after care, relapse prevention, aftercare and once you’re all set to go they will more than likely hand you an AA meeting schedule but don’t do what I did.

The very first time I went to treatment I was 18 years old. When the nurse did my intake I asked her what to expect and what were they going to give me so I would stop this madness. I thought I had a medical problem I didn’t know I had a spiritual problem. After the 11th day I asked what the solution to my alcoholism was. My counselor told me to get a sponsor and join a group and I would be ok. I signed myself out and on the way to the door some one said just don’t drink and go to mtgs. I decided I would try that instead of getting a sponsor. I stayed drunk for another 12 years. Good Luck to you and may you eventually strike something better than GOLD……
Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Congrats on your decision! I wish you the best.

I do not have any experience with treatment centers or detox centers as I did not even know they were available to me when I sought sobriety. I just utlized AA. But obviously it was what I needed as it has given me a few 24 hours of continuous sobriety.

I am sure there will be people along shortly to share their experience in this area. Take care and I look forward to seeing your posts when you return from rehab.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chiynita: thanks for your reply. I wish you the best with the 30 days. I just got an email from an AA friend who said her 30 days was the best thing that ever happened to her. Tell you what: if you think about leaving after 5 days again, channel me. Hang in there. I'll do the same for you at any point.

Treasure2Find: Thanks to you too. I may wreck the treatment, but it won't be because of the spiritual. I am open to anything that can be of help. I'm asking my HP to simply help remove the barriers to my recovery. On a basic level, I need HP to help me just me still and accept the help that others offer.

nandm: A third thanks. My detox/rehab will actually be 9am-5pm for 14 days. I plan on returning here in the evenings and sharing my experiences every few days. Your encouragement deserves my encouragement in return, to you and/or others.

Okay, calming down now. I'm actually excited about this. Another AA friend of mine told me once that the best way to recover is to be happy. I feel like I made a step in that direction today.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been in long term and short term centers. If you like to read take a book. The detox centers are pretty much just watching your health. They should have meetings once or twice a day. They will watch your blood pressure and do some medical test. The long term I think is a really good start because they help you to learn to live sober. And they keep you so busy you do not have much time for anything else. We went to two meetings a day for the first 90 days.

But I think each place is different. If I were you I would call and ask them what you should bring with you. And they might let you know what the days will be like. I found in detox that I needed something to do. A lot of time just sitting around.

hope this helps
Old 12-27-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Teresa. I've got a pile of books in my room that I've been meaning to read. I feel like I'll take two books, a notebook, some water, and some openness and courage.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, Pirate

Good for you on making the decision to go to detox. I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted on your progress if you can.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Let's just say that I have been in a "few" treatment centers. The most important thing to remember about rehab is that it is really only crisis intervention. Sure, you will go to group after group and will learn about the disease. You will learn about relapse triggers. You may even find out about the D2 gene and THIQ. You will probably eat really well and gain some weight. You will meet others just like you. (Watch out for rehab romance. It will trip you up). Then when it is all said and done......

They will most likely give you an AA Big Book or NA Basic Text and tell you to get your rear to a meeting. (Or aftercare with meetings).

Treatment is there to do three things:

1. Save your life if you are coming off of alcohol. You can die. That is why treatment centers exist.
2. Get the job, judge, wife, work, etc off your back.
3. Explain the disease and introduce you to a 12 step program. (Most all of them do).

The work is done inside the rooms of AA, NA, CA, etc. My sponsor always said that "treatment is like a time out for me". Get all you can from it. Hopefully we will see you in the rooms.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I voluntarily checked myself into a 2 week detox/treatment center in October this year. I have been sober ever since. I believe it truly saved my life. Getting away from the outside world did wonders for me--we did daily devotions, some writing & meditations, attended recovery meetings (which were brought to us from different AA groups). It was, for me, a life-changing experience. Good luck on your road to recovery.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have any insight with rehab/detox Red Pirate, but I want to wish you well and hope that you keep reading here and posting when you can.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Way to go Listen up and learn as much as you can