Notices

living powerless

Old 12-25-2007, 03:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

living powerless

I needed to put it out there that often times powerless for isn't just my own inability to handle my life. For me so much of what life is about these days in not framing myself up in some kind of superior mindset that tells me I've got this thing down to a science. Every tine I do life sees fit to show up and bite me. I have to constantly remind myself that that I'm powerless over the affects of my mind. I have to keep vigilant of my inability to manage any part of my life while under the influence and just as much as that, I have to remember that I can't manage anyone elses. I'm powerless to make the universe conform to my reality because my reality is that of a drunk. After all you ever met a drunk or a dope fiend that could see strait.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Glad to see a new member
Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the great paradoxes of the spiritual life:

We all know what the only requirement to be a member of Alcoholics Anonymous is. But there is another requirement that is unspoken but implied to live the spiritual life-surrender.

As long as I believe that I have any power, I have none.

When I surrender unconditionally and concede to my innermost heart of hearts that I am powerless, power flows in. And it is power to live by and sometimes it is more than I know what to do with. All of God's power is mine as long as I use it for what its for. A great statement of hope-"We have recovered and have been given the power to help others." That is what power is for. To use it for any other purpose is a waste of spirit.

Another paradox-I need power to live by, not to stay sober. The paradox is this: if I don't find a power by which I can live, I will not find a purpose to live and probably will drink. I was told that I didn't have to get good and that I didn't have to get smart, but if I can get useful I can keep on living. When I cease to be useful, it is probably time for me to leave.
Jim

Last edited by jimhere; 12-25-2007 at 11:01 PM.