Notices

Snapped off on kids

Old 12-22-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Snapped off on kids

Hello All- Working on day 5 and a half...it'll be 6 on Sunday. Holy short-temperedness Batman!! I am edgy and popped off on the kids a couple times today....nothing too bad...no curses...certainly nothing like the behavior they've witnesssed of me under the influence. I apologized later...things seem OK. Translation- they're a pain in the a** again....kids being kids. Trying to be grateful to even be able to see my kids ( That wasn't always the case) and enjoy them...even the annoying bits. Hope everybody is hanging in there
Rob
Old 12-22-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Rob - no big deal, the important thing is your there with them, sober and not in a bar somewhere.
I did the same thing with my whiney 6 yr old yesterday. I used to tell people I wasn't sure if he would make it to 7.
Funny thing is, I had it all wrong, I was one that probably wouldn't have made it his 7th.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Rob,

All is well. I have 2 little ones and they are so fired up about Christmas...they won't leave me alone! I love being Dad and they love me(even when I'm grouchy!)
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't be too hard on yourself, Rob, you're in early sobriety and that in itself takes tremendous courage and hard work. Give your emotions time to even out and you should find that you are enjoying the kids again, in a new, sober way.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree, Rob, don't be too hard on yourself. We all snap at the kids sometimes, and when I was nursing myself through the first days of sobriety, no matter how moody I was, I knew the kids would forget about it and forgive me and most especially it was leading to the gift of giving them a sober parent for (God willing) the rest of their lives, and that by far outweighed any mistakes I would make on my way through early recovery. Just keep going, Rob, you are doing great. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Robz --

I've been reading your recent posts, and have been gaining a lot of inspiration from them.

Thank you so much for sharing so openly and honestly about your experiences during your first days of working toward sobriety. I'm in my first days too....this is day 4 for me. Woo. hoo. I think you're doing great, and I wish I were, and should be, doing better.

I have grouchiness issues with children who I love too.

Last night, we were watching a movie... my 8-year-old saw a "flaw" in our Christmas tree and decide to "reposition" the`tree -- immediately! Before I could even get out of my chair, he began "fixing" it. Seconds later, the tree crashed over into the middle of the room -- water spilled all over, ornaments shattered, lights went out...Yikes.

I freaked! I yelled! I wanted a drink so bad......but I didn't.

he said: "you told me those bad words I heard in the movie were words that we should never say ....but then you said them!"

Robz, pleae keep posting, and please keep staying sober. I am getting a lot of inspiration from reading your posts each day. Please, Please continue to be my inspiration....

Blessings...

Trakin
Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI Rob- If I had a dime for every time I snapped at my kids....well, let's just way we're all human and kids CAN be a big pain! I'm so happy you are doing well. I remember the first day you came in here and look where you are now! Keep it up!