Notices

3 days w/o pot

Old 06-06-2003, 10:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days w/o pot

Hi, I have been reading the boards for the past few hours and I have learned alot by everyone sharing their stories. I have quit smoking pot for only 3 days now and although I have always heard its not addictive....I am having a difficult time.
I am in a recovery program and will be attending a NA or AA meeting per my program advisor. I am nervous about going to these meetings because I am ashamed of my "closet smoking" and I don't want it to ruin my career in the Medical field.
I am looking for support, it seems none of my "friends" want to quit using and my boyfriend is still using also...I asked him to stop a year ago and instead of him quiting; I started using....now its time for me to quit and I feel alone.
My family has no idea of my struggle and I dont want them to know--they would NEVER understand and we have suffered great losses this year already...which added to my continued use of marijuana.
I have been told that I am co-dependant...I don't even know what that means? I thought that was part of being in a relationship w/another person....???
Luckydog
dont
Old 06-07-2003, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Welcome LuckyDog,

I smoked pot daily for over 15 years. I was pretty much high 24/7, if I had it I would carry it on me. I too was a closet smoker, only a few people even knew I smoked, but boy did I!! I work in a professional field, wear nice clothes, have a couple cars, a house, etc., but it has still brought me to my knees. I'll try to field your questions as best I can.

I have quit smoking pot for only 3 days now and although I have always heard its not addictive....I am having a difficult time.
In my humble opinion, the rumor that pot is non addictive is a bunch of BS. The reasoning I've heard for this is usually based on the fact that alot of people do smoke pot and have no problem quitting. The same can be said for alcohol, but anyone who has ever known anyone who was a true alcholoic knows it's more than a person who enjoys drinking. That person is addicted! If you are having cravings, depression, mood swings, obsessions, etc., those are withdrawal symptoms. They only get worse the longer you smoke.

I am in a recovery program and will be attending a NA or AA meeting per my program advisor. I am nervous about going to these meetings because I am ashamed of my "closet smoking" and I don't want it to ruin my career in the Medical field.
It is outstanding that you are in a recovery program!! That is a great first step! But all they can do is tell you what to do, you are the one who has to provide the action. I went to a 28 day inpatient program last summer, yet have still relapsed several times. It's not that I didn't know what to do, I just didn't do it. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is nervous going to their first meeting. If you don't believe me ask everyone in the room to raise their hand if they were nervous the first meeting they went to. I would recomend NA meetings if they are available. Some AA groups are offended if you talk about drug use at their meetings. You can still go and listen to the message, it's basically the same for both fellowships. In the NA rooms you will find people who have lost everything they own, been in jail, OD'd, lived on the streets, and people like yourself. While perhaps you haven't had to suffer as much as others, look at it as a good thing, if you can learn from their experiences you may not have to suffer like that. If you don't find a way to stop, be it AA/NA or another method, you know you will ruin your carreer. You will have to test some time and will fail, pot stays in your system longer than just about any drug.

I am looking for support, it seems none of my "friends" want to quit using and my boyfriend is still using also...I asked him to stop a year ago and instead of him quiting; I started using....now its time for me to quit and I feel alone.
Unconditional support is what you will find at a meeting. I blew 53 days clean a week ago, it was terrible, the depression and self loathing just about killed me. Finally I put my tail between my legs and hauled my butt to a meeting. Was I embarassed? Oh yes! Did I want to do it? Hell no! But when I walked up to pick up yet another white tag, thats what they give you when you start or relapse, I was greeted with nothing but smiles, hugs, and offers of support. As a newcommer, you will find that kind of support as well. People will give you their numbers and really want you to call! They will do just about anything to help you stay clean, but you have to ask. That is where I fell down, I isolated myself and wouldn't allow anyone to help me. As far as your boyfriend goes, he is not your problem. If it makes you uncomfortable to be around him while he is smoking, tell him you can't be with him when he is high. But even if he is high around you, you can't let that be an excuse for you to get high. It can be very uncomfortable and dangerous to your staying clean to be around drugs, but the bottom line is, unless he is holding you down, sticking the joint in your mouth and making you enhale, YOU have to be responsible for YOUR actions.

I don't know if any of this has helped you or not, it has been helpful to me though. This is the first time I have posted on these boards since my last relapse. It helped me to share. So good luck, keep posting and make those meetings. If nothing I posted was helpful to you, you can at least feel good for helping me. Thanks. Peace.

Tyler
Old 06-07-2003, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Misfit

You are truly a LUCKYDOG

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the 3 days.

In my experience the first few days are the hardest. Especially when you have been smoking consistently for a long time.

Spent way to much $$$ on good weed. Smoked it for a long time. Stopped for a long while too. Primarily becuase I didn't have anyone one to get it from. About a year or so later hooked up with a cousin that had some - smoked some, got hungry and ate. That was about the the gist of it for a month or so. The high was great, as I hadn't smoked in a while, but the munchies were worse. Pot wasn't what I remember it to be and just didn't like the intense munchies it gave me this time. Haven't smoked in a long time, haven't really even thought about it till I saw this thread - Don't hang with people that do either, because that is the one thing that may get me to take that first toke - and start the merry-go-round all over again.

Some people say it is not addictive, but I was addicted to it. The others that feel it is not addictive are just fooling themselves.

Like drinking, if done in moderation and it isn't affecting a positive way of life for you or the ones around, then fine; however for me, I finally got honest and accpeted the fact that I couldn't control or moderate either - both had an adverse affect that caused more problems than it solved. Life was unmanagable.

I'm glad for you that you want to quit. This board, meetings and clean supportive people around you makes it much easier to quit.

Hope you stay around and read, post and share - 3 days is great keep up the good work.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery

You'll find a great bunch of people here who will understand and support you.I was also a smoker,and later got into heavier stuff.But pot was my first love and my biggest weakness.It was too easy to think it wasn't hurting anything because the effects are not as drastic and obvious as they are with other drugsStill,it was robbing me of the life I wanted.The effects may have been more subtle but they were still damaging.

I think the first few days without any substance are very difficult.Congrats on coming this far.Feel free to look around the site and post wherever you feel comfortable.

phoenix
Old 06-09-2003, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I am so glad I am not alone, luckydog, I am going through the same crap you are.
I have had 13 years of problems with alcohol and more recently marijuana...found out I was prenant in January and quit right away.
Nobody else did and I feel like the freak?
I feel so lonely and outcast.
But I thought I was on the right track now right?
You should be so proud that you have the guts to talk about it and to have 3 days under your belt.
The addiction is real whether it's crack or pot...if it wasn't than why is it so hard to quit?
God bless you darlin'
Sidra
Old 06-09-2003, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi - I am new to this so not sure what I am doing - however, tomorrow will be my one-month clean date and I am really nervous but I shall keep at it. I started smoking weed 14 years ago and this only led to more and more substance abuse - both drugs and alcohol.

Although at first it was a lot of fun, the end became really hectic and the last few months have been real hell with 2 really hectic suicide attempts within 6 months - the last one leaving me in a drug-and-alcohol induced coma. Went into rehab in November last year and relapsed real bad again in April.

However, I am enough of being enough and am hanging on for dear life.

Well done to all you guys - you are a real light at the end of the tunnel for me !!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Hey Gaff,

Welcome to our disfunctional family! I was just curious, do they have NA meetings in Zimbabwe? I've never been to Africa, but would like to visit some day. My father in law has been to South Africa several times and says it is beautiful. Keep posting here, it really does help. Peace.

Tyler
Old 06-13-2003, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi, I am also new to this forum. My drug of choice has always been pot I've been smoking since I was 15 Yrs. old I am now 52.I also have a problem with alcohol. Whoever said pot was not addicting was wrong. Ten years ago I gave up alcohol but was always in denial about my pot use. I just entered a out-patient program & I too have been having a hard time with withdrawl.
The first few days were really hard because I wanted to smoke so bad. It's been 12 days & I am just starting to fell better. I have crazy dreams at night & wake up sweating but my head is getting clearer. I have found that keeping myself busy & eating properly have been a big help. Also drink lots of water & when you start feeling weak have a juice drink like Oj, it helps your blood sugar. My group really helps too & I find the more you share about youself the more people will reach out to you. If I can do this so can you just hang in there it will get better.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Do you chat?

I am so excited and inspired that there are other people out there that understand alcohol and weed addiction (or whatever you want to call it).
Maybe we can meet on Sunday or Monday nights for the chat at 9:00 (eastern time) I would love to chat live!
You should be so proud of yourselves, I am too....
Love and Hugs,
Sidra
Old 06-13-2003, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also beleive that when people say pot is non-addictive that its a bunch of BS!! I haven't smoked pot since May 30th.... and it has been on of the toughest things I have had to do. I think quiting smoking pot was harder than cigs. I still have yet to quit smoking cigs, but thats because they are legal. I have struggled with my addictions and if it wasn't one thing I was putting in my system it was another. I thought that when I got out of rehab, that I would only smoke pot and drink occasionally. I ended up being drunk 6 out of 7 days. Smoking pot all day every day. And then popping pills every day. I still thought that I was alright. Because my 'friends' were doing it. I just recently had to loose a friend because I don't want to smoke pot anymore and she just doesn't see any problem with it at all. I just have to let go of those old ties and get on with my life. I graduated highschool after much fear and concern that I wouldn't make it. But I did it. And then to celebrate I smoked a ton of weed, did a bunch of coke, popped like 12 different kinds of pills, drank a bunch and I thought that I was just having a good time. Then I woke up in the morning, actually the next evening at 5 pm and realized that I spent all the money that I got for graduation. What the hell?! I was pissed. Then I thought back to my 18th bday that had just passed a month earlier and realized that all that money had went to drugs as well. It's an expensive habit. And I get the same adrenaline rush waiting in line for a roller coaster that I do waiting to do a line of coke. And going to an amusement park is way cheaper and the high lasts a hell of a lot longer. I fantasize about smoking pot almost everyday. But I know that if I smoke pot, then I get thirsty, so then I drink alcohol. Then when I am drunk all my inhibitions and fears and morals go right out the window and I am on my knees begging anyone and everyone to hook me up with a dealer... it sucks that I have this disease. But atleast I can put it into remission. Good luck to all!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Misfit

Dimidin,

Welcome - this is a great place to get things out of your system - literally and physically.

Great to hear you realize that there are other ways to feel good emotions by doing something else. We all need find other ways of getting a certain feeling we want and not resorting to our old ways to get it.

It's really a step forward in a positive direction. Keep up the good work.

Keep comig back - post, read and share -all of us together helping one another is what it is all about. Don't mean to be to philosophical, just feeling quite entergetic today.

God Bless
Old 06-14-2003, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Solo Traveler -

I willl definantly keep coming back to this site. Even if I don't decide to go to meetings again, I just want to atleast be able to come back here and share my sobriety, and my problems, just being able to vent does a world of good. HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!!